BAD NEWS FOR GILES COUNTY!

selig42

What we should be asking is who is actually doing the hiring for GCHS? Seems to me like as rural as we are, we should suspect that a coach would not stay very long if he has to make that drive. That should be part of the requirement on the front end, the head coach must live in the county at least, if not in Pulaski!

Please, make sure we hire a coach that will stay with us. One that doesnt sell us a bill of goods and uses us for a steppig stone. One that will become a native to Giles county. WHATEVER it takes for our school to compete on a playoff level year in and year out. If we can compete for titles in basketball, why not football. Our adminstration might need some revamping, or at least some enlightning!!

Mom, you just hit the nail on the head. Any head coach should be made to live

in the town he coaches in. Period.

Metro might be a little different, but in rural counties that should be a requirement.

If a coach doesn't put down roots, it's going to be awfully hard to hold on to him

when the next big job comes along. Hard enough to hold on to a good one if he

does put down roots.

I'm sure Giles was so excited to get someone like Tim Johnson a year ago they

accepted some stipulations they probably otherwise would not have stomached.

Hope it was worth it.

I'd be willing to bet the next head coach has a Giles County zip code.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are rediculous. You love Coach Johnson when he does what you want him to do. You say he has no loyalty and doesn't care about the players. He cares more than you will ever know. How many times have you all fed the kids at Giles? How much money have you all given to the program? How many times did you all clean the fieldhouse or stadium? For most of you never! Does that mean you all don't care about the kids? He did what was best for his family. Giles bought him from Franklin to begin with and now you are mad that BGA did the same. Giles gave him an apartment, gas, extra money. I bet he is making less at BGA than he did at Giles. Give me a break with this Holier than now attitude. Instead of badmouthing Tim you should be congratulating him and asking him for input on the next head coach.

You guys are rediculous. You love Coach Johnson when he does what you want him to do. You say he has no loyalty and doesn't care about the players. He cares more than you will ever know. How many times have you all fed the kids at Giles? How much money have you all given to the program? How many times did you all clean the fieldhouse or stadium? For most of you never! Does that mean you all don't care about the kids? He did what was best for his family. Giles bought him from Franklin to begin with and now you are mad that BGA did the same. Giles gave him an apartment, gas, extra money. I bet he is making less at BGA than he did at Giles. Give me a break with this Holier than now attitude. Instead of badmouthing Tim you should be congratulating him and asking him for input on the next head coach.

Not being from Pulaski I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it's always good to keep

one eye on the competition & see what they're doing.

That said, any coach leaving after less than a year on the job doesn't really

deserve much praise or adoration from fans & players who have just been jilted.

I'm not saying he didn't care about his kids, any coach cares about the kids in

his program. But I don't see how anyone can think he had their true interests

at heart leaving so quickly. Giles County was just a resting spot until the next best

offer came along.

And don't give me that line about doing what was best for his family. If that's

the case what was he doing when he left Franklin for Giles...doing what wasn't

best for his family.

Sounds to me like Giles went above & beyond trying to make him happy as

their long-term solution to their football woes.

Guest catfish-hunter

And don't give me that line about doing what was best for his family. If that's

the case what was he doing when he left Franklin for Giles...doing what wasn't

best for his family.

He decreased driving distance. He increased his overall salary (by a bunch).

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that this decision was based on family. He can now spend time with his family on the weekends instead of driving back and forth all weekend to worry about gameplanning for the week ahead.

Maybe you should enter into a long term contract with the next coach and then when a group of disgruntled parents forces the administration to run him off you'll be stuck paying him for the duration of the contract.

Long-term contract? Not sure if you're aware but high school coaches don't sign multi-year contracts. In fact they really don't have a contract at all. Their employment status as a coach is renewable every year by the administration. At any time a coach can be "not renewed" and does not have to be given cause. Also even if they are a tenured teacher, it does not guarantee them they cannot be let go as a coach.

HS coaches have no security, so for those getting on him for making a move is not warranted. I'm sure making the move tore at him because of the kids as I'm sure it did when he left Franklin.

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that this decision was based on family. He can now spend time with his family on the weekends instead of driving back and forth all weekend to worry about gameplanning for the week ahead.

Still don't buy that line totally Catfish.

If someone's earlier tracking of his career is accurate, then what I think you've

got is a coach just stepping up the rungs of a ladder until he gets the prize.

And I don't think BGA is the top rung either.

When Louie steps aside at Lincoln County I think BGA better hold on real tight...

things will get real interesting.

I understand less travel, more time with his kids, etc, etc. but who created

that problem in the first place....and why didn't he just move there to Pulaski to

remedy all that ?

I think TJ has a very bright coaching future; he has already proven his worth.

But I'd betcha if Giles County could have had a crystal ball a year ago and

seen this coming they would have never gone in that direction.

Hey coaches are human to. They have familes to think of and care for. Before anymore bashing of TJ, remember all the time and work that was spent with GC football, and all of that same amount of time spent away from family, kids games missed, school or church programs or functions missed and I am sure the children would have very much wanted him there but where was he, over his head with Giles Co. football. About job change if there are any of you that would not jump at the opporunity to do the same job, with a better working enviroment for thousands more a year, you need to sprint to your bathroom window and look at the biggest idot ever breathing and bash yoursleves. Catfish-Hunter keep us informed I think I know who you are, but I will just keep that to myself.BEST TO YOU

Guest catfish-hunter

Hey coaches are human to. They have familes to think of and care for. Before anymore bashing of TJ, remember all the time and work that was spent with GC football, and all of that same amount of time spent away from family, kids games missed, school or church programs or functions missed and I am sure the children would have very much wanted him there but where was he, over his head with Giles Co. football. About job change if there are any of you that would not jump at the opporunity to do the same job, with a better working enviroment for thousands more a year, you need to sprint to your bathroom window and look at the biggest idot ever breathing and bash yoursleves. Catfish-Hunter keep us informed I think I know who you are, but I will just keep that to myself.BEST TO YOU

Good Luck to you as well buddy ;)

You can butter it up all you want. The bottom line is he has a track record of using schools and administrations to get what he wants. The kids who play for him are being told lies and they are the one who are paying the big price here. So you can go look into your own mirror and look at the idiot. I thought as a coach the kids were the most important. All they learn from him is its easier to quit than fight through the tough times.

He knew about the drive when he took the job. If his decision was family based he wouldn't have left the Franklin area to start with. His decision was salary based. Period. I'm not blaming the guy, we all work and hope to increase our salary, but after getting the hopes of the kids up he could have let one job opportunity pass. If he is the coach everyone thinks he is there were sure to be others over the next year or two. Then again maybe he's not the coach everyone thinks he is so he jumped while he could.