GREENEVILLE VS MO WEST Friday Feb. 10

jc1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think that it is going to boil down to defense. Morristown West hit everything that night that they played Greeneville. I am not sure if Morristown West will be able to shoot as good as they did that night. Most big games boil down too who plays defense the best. I think it will be a close game and probably on of the best girls games in this area this year.

Well I think that it is going to boil down to defense. Morristown West hit everything that night that they played Greeneville. I am not sure if Morristown West will be able to shoot as good as they did that night. Most big games boil down too who plays defense the best. I think it will be a close game and probably on of the best girls games in this area this year.

West plays tough defense! West by 10!

I've seen both teams play this year.

And I think it will be the same outcome as last game.

West just has that fire in their eyes, they play with a lot of speed and good defense.

Greeneville just doesnt have that, this year.

Meagan Lyons made the Devils last year, and they really miss her. If not for Nicole Dickson they are a near .500 team.

The new coach at Greeneville just doesnt seem to be adjusting well to her team, and vice-versa. I've heard A LOT of negative comments so far to date. And I'll admit, those comments seemed to be correct when I've saw Greeneville in 2005-06.

Johnny G will have his girls ready to play. They have a great hi-low game with Phipps on the inside, the speed of LeMarr who can shoot outside - or penetrate in and shoot or kick out or kick in to Phipps, and the outside shooting of Thayer, Mayes, Cross, etc and so on.

Game may be a close one with it being at Greeneville, but I think the better coached team will win, so therefore West runs the IMAC table and goes 10-0.

PTSportswriter - I agree with you on this one. I also think that this team misses Coach Burkey as much or more than Lyons. This group of girls have a tremendous amount of talent and can get that "drive" to win, but for whatever reason the current situation just doesn't bring out the best in any individual or as a team. The record of GVille doesn't really reflect the kind of play that they have been at. They would be just above .500 playing in Region 2, and lower than that in other areas. Maybe this game Friday night will be the coming out game of the real potential of this team.

Greeneville played in a hurry last time these two teams met. It appeard that when Dickson got the ball in the middle of the court while breaking the press, that her instructions were to get the ball out of her hands as quickly as possible.

A few times, that resulted in Forney or someone else getting an easy basket, but many times, it resulted in an unforced turnover.

I think, in thier own house, with thier crowd (and do I dare say, thier refs), Greeneville will play with much more control. West hit a lot of outside shots in the last game, I don't think they will be as accurate in Greeneville. This game will be won by Greeneville by 10 points.

I am not impressed with either coaches ability, especially at making adjustments during the game. I think Johnny G has actually played too many folks this year, and I think at times, the players are not sure who is in the game with them. They make a lot of unforced errors, that if Greeneville plays under control, will be able to expoilt. I think the Greeneville coach's inexperience at being the lead coach shows.

A player or two is going to have to step up. My money is on Forney and Deans.

Well of course Greeneville misses the play of Meagan Lyons this year. Greeneville only has one senior on their team this year with forney. I agree that Greeneville is having a hard time to adjust to the new coaching this year, but I think that probably has a lot to do with the lack of discipline the team had in the previous year. Those negative comments have probably come from parents who are not happy this year. I have seen in the past with Greenevile parents that think that their child is the best thing on the court. If parents would just focus on their kids academics and let them enjoy the extra things that come with it then they would probably be much better.

As for the game if you watch morristown west you will see that Lamar is not really a great outside shooter. She gets all of her points from penetrating to the basket and going to the free throw line. they do have a few others that shoot well, but in their past few games they have not shot the ball well from the arc.

If Greeneville can play without being selfish and play their ball game they have a better shot of winning. West has to use their key player to win. Phipps is Wests success.

First off I want to say that I follow high school basketball in the northeast and really like greeneville high school lady devils. I am no parent or related to anyone on the team. I am just a fan that knows the facts and heres what is being said from all parties. So take this for what it is worth.

I think that the only thing they really miss is Meagan Lyons. Coach Burkey is a great coach, but you can not have a coach that does not have any discipline. When you have girls cussing you during your timeouts in the middle of the game it is not saying much about what you are teaching these girls. Yes winning is always good, but the main goal through sports in high school is to teach these kids lifelong lessons.

For the talent end of your statement I don't think greeneville is a real talented team. If you line their roster up against Morristown West you will see that they our outmanned in almost every position. Greeneville has some good kids that play hard for them and hustle, but as far as talent goes they really are not the most talented bunch of kids. Their heart and hustle has got them to were they are right now.

It is hard for a current situation to bring out the best in anyone when you have parents that encourage their kids to quit when they do not get much playing time. It is hard when you have parents complaining about how many times their kid touches the ball in an offensive series. It is hard when all you have is a bunch of people comparing this year to last year. This team is totally different than last year. Their record does reflect their team. They are a team that hustles and plays hard. They got a new coach this year and are making adjustments and being successfull. The coach did not get to work with those kids until school started. Both parties are doing a really well job of adjusting through season and becoming a successful TEAM. I put the emphasis on TEAM. It is not about who plays or who scores. This team is about winning ball games.

A lot of people look at potential as individual success but potential is what you can get out of everyone on the team. Each player has a purpose and that purpose may not be one that is the star player. It may that purpose of being a great practice player so your teammates can get better. So lets realize that for any team to be 21-4 they have to be good no matter what region they play in.

Can't argue the discipline issue you mention about last year. I totally agree with that. But what Burkey brought was a tremendous knowledge of the game, dedication, tactical approach, teaching ability, and motivation. Even through the "problem" last year, every person that stepped in to play, was playing at a much higher level and with much more confidence. That is not happening. Success this year is more to do with carry over from Burkey's system but it is dwindling. I do agree that this group of girls play hard but the determination is sliding in the wrong direction.

Can't argue the discipline issue you mention about last year. I totally agree with that. But what Burkey brought was a tremendous knowledge of the game, dedication, tactical approach, teaching ability, and motivation. Even through the "problem" last year, every person that stepped in to play, was playing at a much higher level and with much more confidence. That is not happening. Success this year is more to do with carry over from Burkey's system but it is dwindling. I do agree that this group of girls play hard but the determination is sliding in the wrong direction.

There is no doubt that Burkey was a great coach. He has a lot of experience. I am just saying that there is more to learn than winning. I think that Greenevilles new coach has been teaching other things this year. Those lessons are the ones that are going to matter 10 years down the road. From my perspective these kids are great kids and want to be successful, but when you have parents in their ear constantly saying how great they are, then they are going to get frustrated when they are not playing or doing as well. If you look at the statistics they tell the truth. Players make plays and coaches coach. A coach can not get out there and make the shots, make the passes or do the things that players can do.

Coaches don't turn the ball over. Coaches don't miss open shots. Coaches don't not play defense. I think that all three of the greeneville lady devils coaches are doing an excellent job of teaching this team some things that they will take and use later in life. The direction from the outside may not look as good as last year, but you have to agree that these girls do handle themselves a lot better than the past. If these three coaches stick together and teach life lessons and coach the best they can then these girls will be successful on and off the court.

The right direction is not always the one that fans and parents want. Most fans and parents want their child to be like Meagan Lyons and want to see a team dominate everyone, but for those who really have everything in perspective we can see that the right direction is to teach life lessons and to let eveyone know they have a purpose.