What are some opinions toward the new state qualification process?

JDM

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it how it is. It's sort of like the wild card system the NCAA uses for the national tournament. If we are going to leave it at Division I and Division II that is the best way. Although, I'm all for letting more wrestlers in the tournament and its obivious the sport has grown significanlty. I know this will spark a outcry of response because there are still those out there that want it back to 1 division. However, why not split it one more time and have the A/AA traditional tournament as well. Then maybe you can shrink back to 8 regions and have the top 4 again.

mh

I'm with you on this one. The DI Individual should be split between small and large schools. It's better for the small schools and will have no effect on the large schools.

dito, but (devil’s advocate) ...where would the Johnson boys, Brandon Wright and Brett Morrell, etc., be? Would that diminish their accomplishments?

Okay Sommers since you agreed but wanted to play devils advocate I'm game I'll throw an argument out there for you. One you probably already agree with but we are having fun right.

10 years from now a state championship is a state championship. Hey, 5 years from now a state championship is a state championship. I was one of the lucky ones who got to wrestle presplit and postsplit and participated in the state tournament both ways. I didn't win it either way so anybody with a medal has something over me and I'll never tell them, "Well if I had wrestled in x division I would have won." All the talk about which state championship is more deserved is a bunch of balogna. Every gold medal distributed is a product of a lot of sweat, bumps, and brusies. So whether you wrestle 5 matches to get the gold or 4, 3, or whatever it takes, a state championship is a state championship. We have 10 different regions in this state and all the region champions are region champions so lets treat the state championships the same way. So to directly answer you quesiton no it wouldn't diminish their accomplishments because the accomplishments are earned way before the third weekend in February.

Okay Sommers since you agreed but wanted to play devils advocate I'm game I'll throw an argument out there for you. One you probably already agree with but we are having fun right.

10 years from now a state championship is a state championship. Hey, 5 years from now a state championship is a state championship. I was one of the lucky ones who got to wrestle presplit and postsplit and participated in the state tournament both ways. I didn't win it either way so anybody with a medal has something over me and I'll never tell them, "Well if I had wrestled in x division I would have won." All the talk about which state championship is more deserved is a bunch of balogna. Every gold medal distributed is a product of a lot of sweat, bumps, and brusies. So whether you wrestle 5 matches to get the gold or 4, 3, or whatever it takes, a state championship is a state championship. We have 10 different regions in this state and all the region champions are region champions so lets treat the state championships the same way. So to directly answer you quesiton no it wouldn't diminish their accomplishments because the accomplishments are earned way before the third weekend in February.

I'm actually in support of the split (large and small for the next ten years or so), just wanted you or someone like you to share another perspective. I believe RMC has taken a position, but he wants to be careful and be diplomatic about this issue. My gut tells me, with his experience in GA and knowing TN as well as he does, RMC would suggest that one Large and one Small division would suffice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would also like to have Bamawrestler's take? Too many divisions down there in Alabama?

• 10 months later...

I'm actually in support of the split (large and small for the next ten years or so), just wanted you or someone like you to share another perspective. I believe RMC has taken a position, but he wants to be careful and be diplomatic about this issue. My gut tells me, with his experience in GA and knowing TN as well as he does, RMC would suggest that one Large and one Small division would suffice. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would also like to have Bamawrestler's take? Too many divisions down there in Alabama?

Bump... I meant BamaGrappler's opinion on divisions down there.

Edited by soms

I agree with mh that no matter how many divisions, a State Champion is a State Champion. And I also agree that there should be another division split. Giving more kids from more schools the chance to bring home hardware and attract more attention to the sport is an opportunity TN wrestling would be disinclined to ignore.

Also, more wrestlers would get a chance to compete at the highest skill level and get much-needed mat time with the best of the best in TN.

It would not only be beneficial to individual wrestlers, it would increase the eminence of TN wrestling as a whole on the national front, IMHO.

I also think we need Wrestling to stand on it own as small / large school. As it is now if the school is small and any other sport (except football) play AAA then wrestling is also Large school. We want the sport to grow. No way to get people involved quicker than have a state contender (in any sport). You will get more public and school support.

Just some thoughts:

5 divisions are too many.....especially from logistics point of view.

Divisions should be upheld for traditional and individual tournament.

Everyone should have to qualify......I don't care if it makes it an 8 man bracket.

Private and public should be in the same tournament. Just use a multiplication formula to place private into division.

Traditional tournament should be double elimination.