USA Friendlies

mjuhb

You seem to know your stuff stayNskool. I'm going to agrue with you a little, but I like your stuff. You forgot to mention starting Bocanegra, perhaps the USA's most solid defender. I think the pairing of Onyewu and Bocanegra could be deadly for most offenses. I think you have to incorporate your most experienced lineup in the back. I think most of these players are capable of playing out of position in the back. Not saying Dunivant is not a good player, but he has not been tested, and no friendly from here on out will test him. Basically his first true test will be if he starts and/or plays against the Czech Republic on June 12. Gregg Berhalter is also a good defender to throw in the mix. I would pick Eddie Lewis over Bobby Convey. Convey is a good player who gets up and down the pitch, but the experience and crossing ability of Lewis beats that of Convey. Whatever lineup Bruce puts on the field, it will certainly be the best we've ever fielded for a World Cup. The one thing I will complain about is the lack of competition we face building up to the cup. We have and will only play 2 teams that qualified for Germany 06. Playing the likes of Canada, Lativa, Morocco, and Jamaica will not prepare us for the teams we will face in our group.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if you read the reserves bit on my last post you saw that I mentioned Bocanegra and Gibbs can both play out on the left. Maybe The way I wrote it wasnt the clearest but I meant that this way you have to look at each players versatility.

Berhalter is an out and out centerback without the legs to move around the back as much as the backs I have already selected. 5 of my backs chosen can play in the center of defence or as a marking back, A la Tony Sanneh who made one heckuva impression on World Cup 2006.

My theory in bringing Dunivant and Pearce first and foremost is that Left back is one of the US's positions where they have the least depth and having true out and out left backs with your team gives you a chance to be more flexible with your formation as they are used to always playing on the on the wing rather than converted center backs who tend to be a little reserved when joining the flow of attack from open play.

And back to Versatility That's exactly why both Lewis and Convey are in my squad. Convey can switch flanks to great affect and has confidence in taking on defenders 1-v-1 whereas Lewis is a more traditional winger who has great speed and whips in crosses. If you of my 8 Midfield players again all but Mastroeni and Lewis can cover the whole field and play at least 3 different postions within the midfield and Mastroeni, Convey, O'Brien, and Lewis have played in the Back 4 at some point in their National Team career. And Donovan, Beasley, and Dempsey have experience as forwards for their Club teams.

Im not arguing with any of your points because they were all solid points just a little something to think about. Arena seems to be in love with Frankie Hejduk because of his attacking mentality and fitness that is literally off the charts, so he will probably get a call up to the World Cup squad but for me he is just too weak against international opponents defensively and can be beaten 1-v-1 by any decent winger.

Obviously this is all theorhetical in regards to my choices but hopefully Bruce will make the right decisions some that I probably havent even thought of and will lead them beyond the group phase again. Especially since Ill be in Europe for the Cup it would be a great feeling to be around an atmosphere like this and even better if Our guys make a great showing of it!

• 1 month later...

I like your lineup StayNskool but I would take Hedjuk over Dunivant because of experience and sheer pace and ability to get forward. Also, I do believe that Germany did have their whole line-up in that friendly and while they aren't terribly strong they are amazing compared to our "B" squad. What are your real expectations for the US in the World Cup? Because if we don't win our group and we finish 2nd the tourney is over because we will play Brazil; I mean miracles can happen but I really doubt our boys can beat the Brazilians.

I can dig your point ManU721 but I guess I just am not a Frankie Hejduk fan or a fan of bringing an aging veteran (when you already have plenty of experience in your team) in place of a promising younger player. Dont take me wrong I totally agree with what youre saying about pace and ability to get forward.

As far as Germany's best team being on the field? thats debatable considering Bastian Schweinsteiger started on the bench and Sebastian Deisler was out through injury(I do believe he will miss the world cup even which is a terrible shame)Not to mention probably their best and most experienced center-half, Christian Worns, was left off the roster for the game in favor of his Dortmund backup, Per Mertesacker(who in all fairness marked Johnson and Wolff out of the game). Then they failed to call up probably their second most reliable midfielder(after Ballack of course) Liverpool's Deitmar Hamann who has been world-class for over a decade and a stalwart of Germany's midfield.

As far as the States chances in this world cup... I think we can get out of the group. although more than likely as a second seed which would call for a miracle to move beyond that. Although winning the group is not out of the question. If you look at each team in the group individually rather than by their reputations you see that the US may be strong enough to do the job.

Italy

Known for starting slow in world cups and have a tendency to reguard non-European teams (besides Brazil and Argentina) with a total lack of respect(see South Korea 2002). The Italians look good on paper but in actual fact may be one of the weakest sides the Azzuri have produced in a while.

Their starting forward tandem is big and strong... but slow, and limited, this is a key that limits their style of play. Their main playmaker is maybe the best in the world... if he hadn't recently fractured his leg or even if he didnt have a tendency towards accumulating a card or 2.

Beyond this they still rely on the old guard to protect them and many of the more reliable players are having poor seasons (Cannavaro, Cammoranesi, and Pirlo) The ace up their sleeve however is still the indefatiguable Buffon, and as we all saw in Korea/Japan a great GK can carry a mediocre team a long way(Germany/Kahn)

Czech Republic

The number 2 team in the world is good... well very good... when on their game as we saw at Euro 2004, but can be beaten by a weaker team with a better group mentality such as Greece in that very same tournament.

With an aging Pavel Nedved, Karel Poborsky, Vladimir Smicer, and Thomas Rosicky making up the likely starting midfield you will see 3 of 4 midfielders over the age of 33 when the Cup starts. Add to that Milan Baros who seems lost up front without a towering center forward battering ram (Jan Koller aged 33 is set to miss the cup through injury) as his foil and an average defence and you have a very beatable side.

Ghana

Just the fact that their head coach is desperate enough for attackers that he would try and lure Freddy Adu away from the US with a guarantee of a World Cup roster spot is evidence enough that although this african team has a few world class players (Essien, Kuffour, and Appiah) they are found lacking in firepower. Look for them to battle hard but come up lacking in attack and creativity in the final 1/3 of the pitch.

Once a club gets to the knockout stages anything can happen. Whether against Brazil or Croatia, Japan, or the unfancied Aussies, I would say on our day the US can beat any of them... just so long as its not Brazil ... and if it is just pray for that miracle.

As far as not being england right now? I would agree with that. An overpaid coach on his way out the door. 2 world class strikers who don't look to be fit in time for the tournament. A hole at left back that injuries seem to keep digging for them. And a football obsessed media and population that can't seem to see the fact that they are a good but not great team even though they've only won it once(1966) and that was on home soil. It's crazy in england right now and I should know as Im Living about a 15 minute walk from Stamford Bridge as I type.

Goalkeepers: Kasey Keller, Marcus Hahnemann, Tim Howard.

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Jimmy Conrad, Cory Gibbs, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Lewis, Oguchi Onyewu, Eddie Pope.

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Pablo Mastroeni, John O'Brien, Ben Olsen, Claudio Reyna.

Forwards: Brian Ching, Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Josh Wolff.

Alternates:

Forwards: Rolfe, Twellman, Casey

Mids: Armas, Klein, Noonan, Ralston, Zavagnin

Defs: Albright, Berhalter, Dunivant

GK's: Meola, Reis

I have to say on present form in their respective leagues the midfield and forward groupings are very solid but I am worried about 2 players who will likely be on the bench in the defense.

I do not know or even pretend to understand why Arena is so in love with Hejduk who has shown against top class opponents he just going to come up short in the skill department time and again as well as lacking strength. yes he can run all day long and at pace but i just see him as a weakness on the international stage. also jimmy conrad who showed against the Germans that he cannot cope on this level ...

I personally feel that these positions could have been filled with younger defenders who could use the experience of making it to their first world cup and only if required to step in could show their abilities. although I would venture a guess that conrad would not be going had jonathan spector not picked up that dislocated shoulder a week ago while playing for charlton.

i even like the alternates with the exception of berhalter, zavagnin, and klein. I just dont see any of them being able to play solidly in this cup. Berhalter when on form can, but the other 2 just dont seem to be able to cope... and berhalter is not on form.

i would really like to see a player like heath pearce get a shot as an alternate, or joe cannon as alternate in goal. there really isnt much depth in midfield after those already listed so i guess arena is just doing the best he can with what he has in that area.

Here's hoping for a good cup !

i am extremely disappointed in the selection of the roster and i have major concerns about our readiest and preparation for the world cup

1 skill and who is perceived has a better player over those players who did win a spot on the roster

twellman earned a spot over ching

barhalter earned a spot over gibbs

any MLS keeper earned a spot over howard

zavagin had his place stolen by john o'brien

same thing with ben olsen over ralston

why did we even play friendlies if not to see who were the best players are it blows my mind

2 people don't realize this but if we don't win the group we are toast because we will have to play brazil

3 weak friendlies

before the 02 world cup we played strong teams like ireland, holland, italy and germany and we were more battle tested

Edited by mjuhb

I dont feel twellman necessarily earned a spot over ching. He played well in games against fairly weak competition and has underperformed since the start of MLS. Meanwhile, Ching was working his way back from injury during those friendlies and has been on fire since the start of MLS.

Berhalter did not earn a spot over Gibbs who may be the better Central pairing with Onyewu than Pope. Gibbs, when healthy, is a star quality player while Berhalter is at best solid. Berhalter is however better than Conrad who I don't think should be making this trip. I really wish there was a little more youth being served to fill out the 2 deep in this squad.

Again, when healthy there is not a better player on the US roster than John O'Brien. If Arena can get him in shape by June 12, he is in the starting lineup. Plus Zavagnin has no right to even be on the field with many world class players. His though processes are spot on, but he just physically cannot keep pace with these guys in the middle of the pitch.

Ben Olsen brings more to this team than Ralston. Add to that, the fact that Ralston is still overcoming a knock he took in preseason and Olsen is clearly the better choice.

No MLS keeper has earned a place over Tim Howard because non of them are good enough to play in the Premiere league(even as a backup) much less at Manchester United(where Howard was voted Premiere League Keeper of the year in 2003).

You are correct, we will more than likely be going out once we make it to the knockout stages but frankly I feel that the biggest mistake is not taking more Youth to this cup to 'blood' them for the next world cup if things go poorly (or very well) in the first round and we have a throw away game, or to throw in if things get out of hand in the second round game.

I myself am not happy with this selection but will be cheering our guys on whole heartedly throughout the tournament!!!