Coach's cussing @ kids?

cutie313

I was contacted to go to this thread that my opinion was being solicited so here I am. I have not read the previous five pages of posts, nor will I. I don't know what started this thread but it is unfathomable that anyone would justify the use of profanity toward school age individuals of any kind. While we may FEEL like it sometimes, it is our responsibility as professionals to set a good example for those who are impressionable. That coach may be the only adult who doesn't cuss at them. If adults have a lack of vocabulary that these words & phrases are necessary than they have no place being a teacher or coach.

Thank you for your opinion Coach. It is greatly appreciated and hopefully some other coaches will take it to heart. On that note i believe this thread has run its course.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. We have heard from spectators, parents and players. Is there a coach or administrator that would like to comment on the subject? Is there something that we are missing?

I will bet that neither the administrator or the director of schools in the county this school is located in will respond--this is why this situation exists--the girls coaches are just as bad in cussing and humilating the players. It would take only one of these people to step up and put a stop to it.

Here is the way you have to look at it what goes on between a coach his staff and his players should stay in the locker room in the huddle and in the basketball frame of mind.Because for one you have to be able to take coaching and criticism exspecially if you are going to play at the next level.There is a million coaches across the country that coach highschool basketball that do whatever it takes to get the best out of his players and a good basketball team/player knows that if you want to play at the next level you are going to have to take criticism and swearing its part of the game.Laying your hands on abusively is a different story that should never take place in any kind of situation.Look at Bobby Knight one of the greatest college coaches to ever coach the game swears,throws chairs,puts hands on his players at times not verbally but to make them aware of what there doing wrong.And if you was to go back and ask any one of his players what they thought about him they would tell you that now in life I realize and understand why he coached me the way he did and glad he expressed the game to me the way he did.

The problem now a days in any type of basketball is you have to many parents wanting to coach from the stands who thinks because they know what a basketball looks like they know every aspect of the game and if there son isnt getting there fair share of playing time then they have some excuse if a coach swears towards him or the team than they automatically have something to get angry about.Bottom line when your son enters a basketball program there is no contract saying a coach should coach this way or he should not say this or not say that or my son should play this amount of minutes or he is not getting in the game at all.

You have to yuck it up and take criticism and learn how to be coachable if you dont like it take the kid and find him another program to play at but in the long run a parent will realize that he is only trying to get the best out of his players not only on the court but in life and the real world.

Edited by moneymike05

Have to disagree with you monkey. You can color it anyway you want, but there is no need nor excuse for a coach to say to player what was said in the situation. If he can't motivate by other means, then by all means, he needs to find another line of business. Just because great coaches in the past throw profanity around like it's nothing, does not make it right. It blows me away to read on here people defending this coach and his actions. We certainly are bringing our children up in an awful setting if we think this is acceptable behavior. WAKE UP PEOPLE !!!!!!

While it definitely shouldn't happen in high school sports. Low class in my opinion for anyone to use it. With that being said, it's going to go on everywhere and most of the players themselves probably use it more than the coaches. If you raised your kids right, you won't have to worry about it and they'll just ignore it. If the kids make a practice of talking this way, whether or not a coach does it isn't going to make any difference.

I need other parents's opinopns. I was at a game last night and during a timeout by the home team, I heard the coach yelling vulgarities at a 16 year old kid. I am not this child's parent so i realy cant complain much about him yelling at a kid. What i am complaining about is the fact that he yelled it on the court in front of the visiting teams fans. What kind of example does that set not only for our guests but also for the kids. I would like to point out that these were not "everyday" vulgarities. These had the "F" word and the "P" word. Is a coach allowed to use this language in a classroom setting? If all students (including players) that attend a game have to abide by school policies then why do the coaches get to break theirs?

Am i being overly critical, or do i have a right to be angry?

This is absolutely unacceptable and I agree with the thought that it is a failure on the administration's part if they allow this to go on. I also agree that he should have been T'd up by the official. As a parent, I would have to take some action after the game.

I need other parents's opinopns. I was at a game last night and during a timeout by the home team, I heard the coach yelling vulgarities at a 16 year old kid. I am not this child's parent so i realy cant complain much about him yelling at a kid. What i am complaining about is the fact that he yelled it on the court in front of the visiting teams fans. What kind of example does that set not only for our guests but also for the kids. I would like to point out that these were not "everyday" vulgarities. These had the "F" word and the "P" word. Is a coach allowed to use this language in a classroom setting? If all students (including players) that attend a game have to abide by school policies then why do the coaches get to break theirs?

Am i being overly critical, or do i have a right to be angry?

Here is the way you have to look at it what goes on between a coach his staff and his players should stay in the locker room in the huddle and in the basketball frame of mind.Because for one you have to be able to take coaching and criticism exspecially if you are going to play at the next level.There is a million coaches across the country that coach highschool basketball that do whatever it takes to get the best out of his players and a good basketball team/player knows that if you want to play at the next level you are going to have to take criticism and swearing its part of the game.Laying your hands on abusively is a different story that should never take place in any kind of situation.Look at Bobby Knight one of the greatest college coaches to ever coach the game swears,throws chairs,puts hands on his players at times not verbally but to make them aware of what there doing wrong.And if you was to go back and ask any one of his players what they thought about him they would tell you that now in life I realize and understand why he coached me the way he did and glad he expressed the game to me the way he did.

The problem now a days in any type of basketball is you have to many parents wanting to coach from the stands who thinks because they know what a basketball looks like they know every aspect of the game and if there son isnt getting there fair share of playing time then they have some excuse if a coach swears towards him or the team than they automatically have something to get angry about.Bottom line when your son enters a basketball program there is no contract saying a coach should coach this way or he should not say this or not say that or my son should play this amount of minutes or he is not getting in the game at all.

You have to yuck it up and take criticism and learn how to be coachable if you dont like it take the kid and find him another program to play at but in the long run a parent will realize that he is only trying to get the best out of his players not only on the court but in life and the real world.

So your point is the ends justify the means. I just don't buy it that you have to use profanity and be abusive to get the most out of a player. If a player is in a high school program he may not sign a contract, but it is a given that the coach should set a good example in the way he behaves and communicates. Criticism does not require profanity. Putting someone on the bench speaks louder than all the profanity in the world. Doing extra running or push-ups can communicate alot without saying a word. Profanity is not a necessity for effective coaching and it should not be tolerated at the high school level. I know coaches can let something slip during the heat of battle, but what I am talking about using it on a regular basis.

Bobby Knight was not and is not a great coach because he is profane. He has a great knowledge of the game and is a very good teacher of the fundamentals of the game. I would suggest that he might have been more successful if he had better control of his temper and behavior and that he had success inspite of his misbehavior, not because of it.

Has anyone every heard of Bob Hurley at St. Anthony's in Jersey City. One of the winningnest high school coaches ever, not only that he takes the poorest of the poor in the worst neighboorhood and turns them into champions on and off the court. But he uses some pretty colorful language at times. The problem is most kids take things too personal and can't handle someone getting on them. I don't condone cussing, but sometimes in some situations It has been known to be effective by some of the greatest leaders and coaches of all time.

OK, this thread has been going on for several days now. We have heard both sides of this, some say it's OK for a coach to use profanity in coaching, most of us have said it is totally unacceptable. This will be my last stand on the subject, and it is directed to those of you who think it's OK to curse at a student. To quote a famous comedian... "I hate stupid people".

OK, this thread has been going on for several days now. We have heard both sides of this, some say it's OK for a coach to use profanity in coaching, most of us have said it is totally unacceptable. This will be my last stand on the subject, and it is directed to those of you who think it's OK to curse at a student. To quote a famous comedian... "I hate stupid people".

I didn't call Bobby Hurley stupid. If he curses at students or players on his team, and you think that is OK, I called you STUPID.