Coach's cussing @ kids?

cutie313

I haven't read all the posts either,but as far as a coach cussing it depends.Some times coaches use it for emphasis,but it shouldn't be used to downgrade a player,what he said to that player wasn't right.Get out there you "f" "p" shouldn't be said.I don't know how this kid reacted but either way that isn't something I think any parents want their kids exposed to.Sure all coaches have different techniques,and sometimes a good yelling gets a kid fired up,but I hope he can find a better way to do it than that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the posts either,but as far as a coach cussing it depends.Some times coaches use it for emphasis,but it shouldn't be used to downgrade a player,what he said to that player wasn't right.Get out there you "f" "p" shouldn't be said.I don't know how this kid reacted but either way that isn't something I think any parents want their kids exposed to.Sure all coaches have different techniques,and sometimes a good yelling gets a kid fired up,but I hope he can find a better way to do it than that.

Mybe he was acting like a "f" "p" and his parents did not have the "b"'s to tell him...Doing him a favor :lol:

It truly is a sad day when people want to say it is okay or acceptable for a coach to curse a player. He is a high school teacher and would not be allowed to use profanity in the classroom.

A coach that has to motivate by cursing a player is a weak coach. If that is the only way he can motivate players, he needs to hang up his whistle and attend church on Sunday.

Edited by Macnarry

If your concerned about the way the coach acts, try to see if you can go watch a few practices & then make a decision. Your child does not have to play, their are rec leagues as an altenative. You can move and/or transfer your child. Theirs always Church League as well.

And lastly, who decides what words are decent or indecent.

That is an old, old debate……. Who determines if a word is a cuss word, decent or indecent? Who determines what is good and bad, or who determines right and what is wrong? That is the seed of something that grows into something that is hideously wrong. Hitler’s lynch men tried hiding behind that one too. Their question in a nutshell was – What law did I break? Conclusion – a higher law. I don’t believe you will find a thou shalt not cuss anywhere, but you will find that words can be used to cut to the bone. For instance, the word fool is not a cuss word, but the Lord obviously is not real fond of that term, and if you use that term directly at a person to break his spirit, then you are big time flirting with disaster. I have personally seen young men ripped a part by a what a coach says to them (and it doesn’t have to be what some define as a cuss word). To break a young man's spirit, all a coach has to do is ridicule in a demeaning manner before the crowd (you don't have to say the word FOOL, but it is the intent used) For some odd reason we Americans seem to believe that putting the name coach on a person will make him worthy of the honor (there are a lot of really good coaches, but sadly on the other hand there are many coaches that have no moral fiber and are not worthy of the title coach). Coach K and Wooden are obviously two of the very best mentors of young basketball players. They come with the whole package. If there is such a thing as a perfect coach, I believe they both come close to it. So perfection is possible, but realistically some are going to make mistakes in the heat of the battle, ok no problem. BUT to constantly berate and demean (with any kind of words) players before a crowd is WRONG. Yes, maybe one kid out of 15 might react in fear temporarily because of cussing, but what happens to the other 14 that (yes, young Christian men do play ball in the public arena, David Robinson, AC Green, Derek Fisher) are unmotivated by this method? What really gets my blood pumping is to watch a man (disguised as a coach) intentionally get into a players mind (call him fool, but in an indirect way) so that he will fail (yes, they are out there for selfish purposes, another player he is kin to or another player has political pull) Bottom line is this , not every man that wears the name coach is worthy of the honor (just google search coaches with improper moral conduct, there is a boat load of them and there is another boat load that stand in line to do the same mistakes). There are alternatives for motivation, my coach used running drills. Coach Wooden would walk into practice where the players were not motivated and tell them to turn the lights off and go home (that caught there attention quickly, this goes to the core of the player/team, yes you lose a practice but it leaves an everlasting impression). If you are still confused about what word is wrong or right (and Faith+1 means something to you) do like coach Wooden, carry a cross in your pocket and when the emotions get high, reach in and hang on to it, it will direct your mind and thoughts to what is good and right, decent and indecent, and your faith will take you to a higher level.

?

Edited by hackashaq

It truly is a sad day when people want to say it is okay or acceptable for a coach to curse a player. He is a high school teacher and would not be allowed to use profanity in the classroom.

A coach that has to motivate by cursing a player is a weak coach. If that is the only way he can motivate players, he needs to hang up his whistle and attend church on Sunday.

Referees usually are the ones holding the whistles. :thumb:

There is no excuse for a coach to curse at a player. A kid may be able to take it, but should they have to take it from a mature adult that should be able to express his disapproval in some way other than resorting to profanity? Emotions run high in sporting events and on occassion a coach might slip and say something he shouldn't, but it shouldn't be standard practice and it should not be considered acceptable behavior. Joe Gibbs of the Washington Redskins has been quite successful in the NFL and my understanding is that he doesn't use profanity. If an NFL coach can motivate players without using profanity I would certainly think a high school coach can.

"The bench is a great motivator." :thumb:

I dont think it is fair to compare professional coaches with high school coaches or even college coaches because there is a BIG DIFFERNECE BETWEEN A 14-18 YEAR OLD KID COMPARED to a college or pro athlete but that is just me and if you dont think that the kids dont say the words then you are wrong like i said before I DONT CUSS but i am sure my boy does and i tell him how bad it makes him look and how it reflects on me and his mom but he will grow outof that soon enough just like i did

I dont think it is fair to compare professional coaches with high school coaches or even college coaches because there is a BIG DIFFERNECE BETWEEN A 14-18 YEAR OLD KID COMPARED to a college or pro athlete but that is just me and if you dont think that the kids dont say the words then you are wrong like i said before I DONT CUSS but i am sure my boy does and i tell him how bad it makes him look and how it reflects on me and his mom but he will grow outof that soon enough just like i did

Just because kids do improper things doesn't make it okay for adults to do it. Adults should know better and should be setting the proper example. My point with Joe Gibbs is that if he can motivate grown men, whom I'm sure have been exposed to far more than your average 14-18 year old, then surely a high school coach can motivate without using profanity. The bench and/or running are excellent motivators for high school kids. It is not what you say, but what you do that counts. Cuss all you want, but if you take no action to back it up players will ignore it just like they will any other language.

Just because kids do improper things doesn't make it okay for adults to do it. Adults should know better and should be setting the proper example. My point with Joe Gibbs is that if he can motivate grown men, whom I'm sure have been exposed to far more than your average 14-18 year old, then surely a high school coach can motivate without using profanity. The bench and/or running are excellent motivators for high school kids. It is not what you say, but what you do that counts. Cuss all you want, but if you take no action to back it up players will ignore it just like they will any other language.

Uhhh......What world do some of you live in? Have you not seen some of the television shows that kids watch today (dave chapelle, southpark, etc) or listened to some of the music that kids listen to? Believe me, some of these "children" can "outcuss" Bobby Knight!...........I know this is not the politically correct thing to say and I will get bashed for saying this.

I DO NOT CUSS but i will not get mad if a coach cusses at one of my boys i am sure that my son cusses and most of us who have high school kids have kids that cuss so why is it ok for them to cuss but you get riled up for the coach using the same language your kid does please keep in mind these high school kids (espcially boys) are punks and sometimes they need to be punked out i think you will be surprised at how well your coaches know these kids and he will know what button to push to make the kid do what he is suppose to do remeber if the kid is doing what he is suppose to do then the coach wont be cussing . My son had his first practice of the year and he come in and told how well he did and i asked if he got a lot of atta boys and he laughed and said NO i asked him if he got shewed out any and he said NO i said then you had a really good practice. When our kids grow up they are going to be cussed out by a boss or customer or someone and what a better time to learn lifes lesson now instead of when it is too late

Did you ever stop to think that the reason a kid curses is because they have heard so much of it from someone who is supposed to be a role model that they think its the thing to do?

Coach K and Wooden are obviously two of the very best mentors of young basketball players. They come with the whole package. If there is such a thing as a perfect coach, I believe they both come close to it.

Coach K cusses as much or more than any coach in college basketball. I can't believe that you would even use his name in this discussion. :thumb: