TN Article

hewy22

I know in the NBA & NCAA & I think all major pro sports that all fines are used to support charities of the the person or team being fined. Does the TSSAA use this money for charity or pocket it. If they are pocketing the money, this could be the reason for the increase in fines.

Just a thought.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know in the NBA & NCAA & I think all major pro sports that all fines are used to support charities of the the person or team being fined. Does the TSSAA use this money for charity or pocket it. If they are pocketing the money, this could be the reason for the increase in fines.

Just a thought.

They use the money for scholarships.

I agree completely with the gist of the article. There is no amount of money that would make me want to put up with the stuff that officials have to endure. It seems to get worse every year.

Next time you scream at a ref, put yourself in their shoes. Would you put up with that for the pitiful amount they get paid? I wouldn't.

There are people who do a good job and people who do a bad job in every profession. I have never seen a bad waiter or a bad accountant get yelled at or booed.

JMHO

Bad waiters are fired if they screw up too much, and i've yelled (not like at a game though) at a waiter because of her incompetence, and mostly because she was rude to begin with. And bad accountants don't stay accountants long, they are either fired or jailed.

Bad waiters are fired if they screw up too much, and i've yelled (not like at a game though) at a waiter because of her incompetence, and mostly because she was rude to begin with. And bad accountants don't stay accountants long, they are either fired or jailed.

What kind of scholarships? I would have to think that the money if used on scholarship would have to go back to school where it came from. If not the scholarships could be used on anyone. I don't see how you could take money from one school & use it on a student from another.

What kind of scholarships? I would have to think that the money if used on scholarship would have to go back to school where it came from. If not the scholarships could be used on anyone. I don't see how you could take money from one school & use it on a student from another.

TSSAA takes money from schools fined and awards it to schools that have not been fined through the A.F. Bridges Sportsmanship award...

It's a way of taking from those that do wrong and give back to those that do it right.

So your telling me the scholarships go like this for example, Lets say my town has horrible roads & their is little money to fix it. So when the police give a ticket to someone from town thats speeding, they take the money and give to a town thats better instead of using the money to fix the roads?

So your telling me the scholarships go like this for example, Lets say my town has horrible roads & their is little money to fix it. So when the police give a ticket to someone from town thats speeding, they take the money and give to a town thats better instead of using the money to fix the roads?

no... they go something like this... if your basketball coach gets ejected from a game and has to pay a 250 dollar fine, the TSSAA takes that money raised and rewards the kids to the schools that did not have any fines. All your school has to do is follow the rules. It's an incentive program.

no... they go something like this... if your basketball coach gets ejected from a game and has to pay a 250 dollar fine, the TSSAA takes that money raised and rewards the kids to the schools that did not have any fines. All your school has to dprogram.

"All your school has to do is follow the rules."

Thats like saying, if player picks up 1 foul he should be fined because a foul is against the rules. Heres my suggestion, fines should go as follows

Walking violation - $10.00 any multiple walks in same game add $5.00

Goal Tending & hanging On the Rim - $25.00

Fouls - Start at $5.00 & double each additional foul

Technical Fouls - $50.00 on player, $100.00 on the coach

Stepping Out of Bounds - No Money, but the play must sit out 2 minutes

It sounds stupid, but all the team has to do is follow the rules & its no big deal. This way a school who has absolutely nothing to do with this game can be awarded the money.

the fines collected by the TSSAA in 2004 were approximately twice the normal amount. the fines are not just from unruly fans, etc, but, also from schools that have not complied with deadlines for getting in paperwork, etc. taking the money & giving it to schools via scholarships as reward for doing a good job is as it should be.

Once students grow up & become part of the work force, they will be rewarded for the job they do. If they don't do a good job, there will be no reward & possibly a pink slip in the envelope. This is the way of the world.

Good sportsmanship should be taught by parents, coaches & administrators. This is what we are really talking about. It appears that TN fans are not displaying good sportsmanship. You can cheer for your team, question a call, jeer at the opponent without losing your dignity or self respect.

With technology moving ahead, the officials might one day get a DVD of the games to take home with them. Even if it's the last two quarters of the girls and the first two quarters of the boys -- take the thing home, plop it in the machine and "EVALUATE YOURSELF". Do these birds ever look at film of themselves in action? That's how players and coaches improve, looking at film. The eye in the sky doesn't lie. If they'd look at themselves in action they'd see what we're up in arms about.

Great post. Self-evaluation would have to be required, though. The attitude of most of the bad ones seems to be that they are always right and no one can convince them otherwise.

Edited by blue-redbball

well my two cents on the self evaluation is that i think more referees are willing to look at films but who is going to film the game for the referee then they would have to pay that person to referee so when they went home with the small fee that they made it would be shorter then what they already made, also when they get home it's usually 10:00-11:00 and all the referees have jobs the next day to go to. And think about this in Chicago the schools won't even let fans come to the games because they are to rough. so what a privilege it is to be able to watch the games live. And on the advancement of technology, in today's society you have tape to disect every little thing that went on in the game. but from the eye in the sky doesn't have the same angle same view and same opinion as a coach, player, fan, and even a referee.