Antioch Football

coachtut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me interject, and I'm going to try to not sound like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton here, BUT, I think that it is important that Antioch has some diversity on that staff. Look, we all want the best COACHES and TEACHERS of young men, regardless of race, but when 80% of your football team is black, I think it is very important to have some AA representation on your staff. Let it be known that I am not calling Coach W a racist or anything like that (from what I hear, he's a good guy), but I do think he may be a bit surprised to find out that while Antioch and Ravenwood are only about 7 miles apart, distance-wise, the socio-economic makeup of the schools may as well be 100 miles apart. There is just an inherent advantage to having a quality black coach on that staff. Regardless, I hope they have loads of success over there, I'm just stating an opinion.

Let me interject, and I'm going to try to not sound like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton here, BUT, I think that it is important that Antioch has some diversity on that staff. Look, we all want the best COACHES and TEACHERS of young men, regardless of race, but when 80% of your football team is black, I think it is very important to have some AA representation on your staff. Let it be known that I am not calling Coach W a racist or anything like that (from what I hear, he's a good guy), but I do think he may be a bit surprised to find out that while Antioch and Ravenwood are only about 7 miles apart, distance-wise, the socio-economic makeup of the schools may as well be 100 miles apart. There is just an inherent advantage to having a quality black coach on that staff. Regardless, I hope they have loads of success over there, I'm just stating an opinion.

I agree! Kudos to you for saying it !

I agree with what you are saying, but it just sounded like people were going in the direction of calling the new guy out because he let go a couple of guys. Who cares what race they were. I'm sure he will hire what he needs to be best for the school or they wouldn't have hired him.

McNine4mvp---I do agree with your comments. Diversity is an advantage as long as the diversity is also the best or atleast of the same quality. I would rather have quality than quantity any day of the week. Kennedy Middle and Antioch Middle both have white head coaches and white assistant coaches. Apollo is the only feeder school to Antioch that has an aa coach. Maybe to these kids skin tone will not be an issue, as it shouldn't be to any kid or adult!

McNine4mvp---I do agree with your comments. Diversity is an advantage as long as the diversity is also the best or atleast of the same quality. I would rather have quality than quantity any day of the week. Kennedy Middle and Antioch Middle both have white head coaches and white assistant coaches. Apollo is the only feeder school to Antioch that has an aa coach. Maybe to these kids skin tone will not be an issue, as it shouldn't be to any kid or adult!

Agreed. I know the coaches at both Kennedy and Apollo about as well as anyone and I would not have qualms about my kid playing for either one of them. TA is white and WS is black and I love them both. Skin tone really should not matter at all, but sadly, sometimes, it still does. Work In Progress, I'm pretty sure I know who you are and I wish you all the success in the world if I am correct. That place is ripe for a winner and I hope you get it done. I was just stating an opinion that it probably would be advantageous to have some AA representation on the staff. But, I agree, getting quality coaches and teachers, regardless of race, should be the goal when building a program. There are also some guys in the area that are former Bears that I hope would get a look to maybe join the staff. Josh Smith is one guy, who happens to be young, white, and has experience with a winner at E-H who understands the Antioch job. He's also on the verge of being certified, I believe, so that could be a long-term fix. You have Brian Howard over at Wilson Central, who graduated two years before me at AHS who is really a baseball guy, but has done a great job on the football staff guy. I wish I was certified, but I'm not quite done with school yet. I know Eric Felts coached over at E-H with Scott Smith and was a heck of a player at AHS. Don't know if he's coaching now or what, but he won a state title on the staff there. There are some other guys who are Antioch guys who understand the community that could be great. Chris Smith and Jason Tigg are two other guys that post on here sometimes that I played with at Antioch that would be great coaches. Neither are teachers and I really don't know what Jason is up to and Chris probably wouldn't have the time, from what I hear from his cousin. They are two AA guys in their mid-20's that really understand the game. Runtheball and that guy coaching at Indy could certainly vouch for all of those guys mentioned. Just throwing some stuff out there!