Div. 1 Dream Team vs. Div. II Dream Team

FromFieldtoPitch

What a great match!! Here's how I see it:

152- Wright takes Waddell down in overtime, Bowler waits too long to call it and Waddell gets away in sudden death (DI 0, DII 3)

160- Creagan cradles in the third to win 7-5, Mara officiates (DI 3, DII 3)

171- Bateman in a slugfest 5-3, Simpson scheduled to officiate but has to back out due to Ryan ties (DI 3, DII 6)

189- Baylor wins in another slugfest when Morgan gets caught on his back in the third 7-4 (DI 3, DII 9)

215- Reveiz wins on a Coffee slam, Coffee was leading 8-2, (Mara's call)

275- Vandergriff wins in an action filled HWT match...seriously 7-2, Simpsons first match (DI 12, DII 9)

103- Randolph too seasoned for MBA, 7-3 (DI 15, DII 9)

112- Johnson in a major 11-3 (DI 19, DII 9)

119- Too much Simpson, Adamson finally human 9-3, Jim Simpson has to sit out another match (DI 19, DII 12)

125- Need help here

130- Bundy majors, decides to let Young go and kills him on his feet 13-4 (DI 23, DII 12)

135- DI has no answer for Manson, major for Manson as Fuller shuts down (DI 23, DII 16)

140- Young in sudden death when Holliman can't get away (DI 23, DII 19)

145- Felix in a tech fall and earns OW (DI 28, DI 19 plus 125 match)

Simpson calls two matches and makes the same as Mara and Bowler

Simpson could care less if he only has to officiate two matches and get's paid the full fee. Remember that they pay him as much as they do the good ones!!!!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joslin never wrestled Smith this year. He beat him last year in Smith's third match coming back from football before Smith was even at the weight he wrestled most of the year. Also, I must correct myself. Two matches people went all the way with Dean. Finals of the Father Ryan tournament Robby Robinson lost to Dean by one point at 160, and in the finals of the KIL a guy that Joslin beat in overtime the next weekend lost to Dean 12-4. Joslin would never have beaten Dean this year, and Smith never wrestled Pease. At the McCallie tourny he beat the guy who beat Pease. Neither Tolbert, Pease, Creagan, or any other 160 in Tennessee would be able to defeat Dean Heyward Smith.

Joslin never wrestled Smith this year. He beat him last year in Smith's third match coming back from football before Smith was even at the weight he wrestled most of the year. Also, I must correct myself. Two matches people went all the way with Dean. Finals of the Father Ryan tournament Robby Robinson lost to Dean by one point at 160, and in the finals of the KIL a guy that Joslin beat in overtime the next weekend lost to Dean 12-4. Joslin would never have beaten Dean this year, and Smith never wrestled Pease. At the McCallie tourny he beat the guy who beat Pease. Neither Tolbert, Pease, Creagan, or any other 160 in Tennessee would be able to defeat Dean Heyward Smith.

Dean is very good. No question about it. But your last statement there is quite bold, Mr. Smith.

Ok webbie, don't try to minimize the fact that Joslin beat Dean last year. Great match by both, and both were in the same physical condition when the match occured. Could Joslin beat Dean this year, don't know. We never got that chance. I would be willing to bet it would be a barn burner.

As for Tolbert, great looking young wrestler who had a game plan and worked it to perfection against Joslin. No excuses here. Tolbert beat him at his own game. Takedowns.

Creagan, mat smart wrestler who will capitalize on every mistake you make. No doubt deserving of all the recognition he's rec'd.

Smith, the same as Creagan, but more agressive, which can be good and bad. Physically stronger than Creagan which could be the deciding factor.

Too close to pick. Not a match you'll see anyhow. Tolbert and Creagan will be back at it again next year.

Here is the champions matchup. Match will start at 152. D-II won the toss and will take the odd matches. Each wrestler will be allowed to have his own high school coach in his corner for his match. Referees will be Mara, Bowler and (Jim ) Simpson who will rotate matches. Sommers will handle the clock. Scorekeeper will be Walkenvol. Bear Cat brown and Stovepipe will be towel boys. Who wins this one?

152 - Brandon Wright (Hou) v. Daniel Waddell (Bay)

160 - Travis Creagan (Brad) v. Dean Smith (K. Webb)

171 - Tyler Roberson (SD) v. Aaron Bateman (Ryan)

189 - Frankie Morgan (Union Co) v. Derek Walker (Bay)

215 - Nick Reveiz (Farr) v. Courtney Coffey (PJP)

275 - John Vandergriff (K. Halls) v. Charles Green (Mc)

103 - Hunter Randolph (Brad) v. Jeff Francis (MBA)

112 - Demetrius Johnson (Mun) v. Bailey Whitaker (Bay)

119 - Jay Adamson (ND) v. John Michael Simpson ( MBA)

125 - Bo Usary (SH) v. Ben Johnson (Bay)

130 - Nic Bundy (Hv) v. Joe Young (Mc)

135 - Ryan Fuller (SD) v. Corey Manson (Bay)

140 - Kellen Holliman (Bw) v. Will Young (Mc)

145 - Kelly Felix (Frk) v. Reed Doster (Bay)

I'm too one track minded for the clock. Irishdad would probably do better than I. :thumb:

Smith was 41-0 this year and not taken down... and only gave up 1 reversal... he teched or pinned everybody except 3 people from georgia and 2 from tennessee.

he beat the 5a 160 georgia champ at mcCallie 5-2 and beat robbie robinson at father ryan 7-4. Smith would have beaten Joslin this year if they would have wrestled. joslin went into overtime with ben heacock a guy smith teched...to give joslin credit he has been hurt this year.

Although smith had a good year it still doesnt undermind the fact the creagen has been good for the past 2 being a 2X sate champ as only a junior. too bad they couldnt of wrestled it would have been a great match but one that is too close to call by me.

I'm too one track minded for the clock. Irishdad would probably do better than I. :D

mtnman Posted Today, 02:50 PM

Come on guys do you really think Bear Cat brown and Stovepipe can handle the towels? We would have to make sure Bear Cat Brown had a floor pass.

downforthecount Today, 02:23 PM

Simpson calls two matches and makes the same as Mara and Bowler

cbg Posted Today, 02:36 PM

Simpson could care less if he only has to officiate two matches and get's paid the full fee. Remember that they pay him as much as they do the good ones!!!!!

Gosh guys, had I known my choices for table workers and refs would have generated so much comment, I would not have tried to fill those slots with specific individuals. Be that as it may, here is my stab at the results of this match.

First, I have to make a correction. I meant to start the match at "125" instead of starting at "152" as appears on my post setting up this match. My bad. I'm all thumbs with the typewriter, and I inadvertantly reversed the 2 and the 5. So, I'm starting with 125 and finishing with 119, Adamson v. Simpson.

I like the picks by Mocsfan up to the last weight, 119. So, without going through his picks weight by weight, when 119 starts its 7 wins for D-I and 6 wins for D-II, with the match still up for grabs pending the outcome at 119. At that point, I'm not as sure as Mocsfan about what happens. Here is what I see:

Simpson is ahead of Adamson 10-9 with only seconds left. The wrestlers are on the edge of the mat, near the scorer's table. Simpson is in control, but just barely. Adamson has come out from underneath and is trying desperately to reverse or eascape. Simpson has a grip on Adamson's leg that is clearly slipping loose as the clock ticks down the final seconds.

Mara and Bowler are calling the match---as noted by downforthecount, Simpson has to sit this one out with his nephew on the mat. Mara is the primary ref. Stovepipe is towel boy for this one -----------BCB has to sit this one out because Adamson is on the mat. With the whole " whose better, D-I or D-II " question on the line, the crowd is loud and going crazy. No one can hear anything. The only ones not screaming are the coaches (Simpson and Mullins), both of whom have already been warned for too much talking from the chairs and told that the next word would cost them team points.

As the clock winds down to two seconds, Mara is leaning over the wrestlers signaling that Simpson is still in control. The roar of the crowd is deafening. Stovepipe, busy jawing back and forth with BCB, jumps up from his seat a little late to do his job. BCB, still upset with Stove's comments about his beloved Green Irish and his 99% apology ( see post titled "God I Love This Sport, Bearcat's Swan Song"), trips Stovepipe as he goes to the mat. All at the same time, sort of like the perfect storm, the clock hits zero, a buzzer that nobody can hear goes off, Stovepipe, stumbling from BCB's trip, hits Bowler instead of Mara with the towel, distracting Bowler who thinks he has been hit by someone or something from the crowd, Adamson breaks free of Simpson, and Mara, who can't hear the buzzer or see the clock and feels no towel tap, throws up one for an escape for Adamson which would tie the score.

Mara looks at Bowler to see if the point should stand or not. Bowler, staring at Stovepipe with a look that could kill, tells Mara he isn't sure because he turned to see who or what had unexpectedly hit him. Stovepipe is looking at BCB mouthing the words "I'm going to kill you", but BCB is staring down at the floor looking at no one. Mara and Bowler go to the scorer's table to find out from Sommers, the clock operator, and Walkenvol, the official scorer, whether the points were good. Much to their dismay, Sommers and Walkenvol both sheepishly admit that they don't know for sure because, instead of watching the match, they were arguing with each other about............well, by now, you guys who have been posting on this board know what and who they argue about. Mara says something like "I knew I should have retired a year earlier".

With looks of disgust to everyone at the scorer's table, Mara and Bowler turn to the one person left in an official capacity who might be able to make a ruling as to what happened and settle the issue. That person is the third referee, Simpson, who has been sitting in a chair matside observing the entire match. He has seen everything and can make the call. Mara and Bowler go over and huddle with him. After what seems like an eternity, they break the huddle and head to the scorer's table. The decision made after consulting with Simpson is...............................

Sorry, you guys will have to come back to this board next season to find out what happened when I have had time to finish this story or, as some of you are so frequently inclined to do, post your own opinion as to what call was made and which side prevailed, D-I or D-II.

Simpson would never be able to defeat Adamson. Adamson would be able to take Simpson down with ease, and Simpson, who really is only a stud on top, would not be able to hold down Adamson. Simpson has been down a lot this year only to come back to win with a pin or back points. He would not be able to turn Adamson. No offense to Simpson, but he did not have the mine field of a bracket that Adamson had at state, instead he got lucky when Sherbakoff got upset and ended up wrestling a mediocre wrestler in the finals. Downey is no Mang, and Simpson is no Adamson. Adamson would defeat Simpson with takedown after takedown.

Simpson is ahead of Adamson 10-9 with only seconds left. The wrestlers are on the edge of the mat, near the scorer's table. Simpson is in control, but just barely. Adamson has come out from underneath and is trying desperately to reverse or eascape. Simpson has a grip on Adamson's leg that is clearly slipping loose as the clock ticks down the final seconds.

Mara and Bowler go to the scorer's table to find out from Sommers, the clock operator, and Walkenvol, the official scorer, whether the points were good. Much to their dismay, Sommers and Walkenvol both sheepishly admit that they don't know for sure because, instead of watching the match, they were arguing with each other about............well, by now, you guys who have been posting on this board know what and who they argue about. Mara says something like "I knew I should have retired a year earlier".

With looks of disgust to everyone at the scorer's table, Mara and Bowler turn to the one person left in an official capacity who might be able to make a ruling as to what happened and settle the issue. That person is the third referee, Simpson, who has been sitting in a chair matside observing the entire match. He has seen everything and can make the call. Mara and Bowler go over and huddle with him. After what seems like an eternity, they break the huddle and head to the scorer's table. The decision made after consulting with Simpson is...............................

B):PB)<_<:P

adsom@bellsouth.net