Coaching Position open at Henry County?

wingman

Wingman, where do you reside? When I click on your profile it says that your local time is two hours ahead of central standard time. Do you live on a boat in the Atlantic?

From the looks of the weather outside one might say I do live on the water. Although a boat floating around St Thomas would be OK by me. Until then I will have to settle for a pontoon on Kentucky Lake until my 6 lotto numbers come in.

My 2 computer times are CDT. I was thinking the server for Coach T was EDT?????

Maybe they are the ones floating on a boat around St Thomas. If so, I am in the wrong business.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like Henry Co. to give Clint Sisco a look. Sisco was an assistant there a few years ago. Great teacher in the classroom. Demands discipline and he knows his stuff. Great pedigree too with brother Marty Sisco, the legend at Union City and nephew Shane, now head coach at Union City and in the state tournament again. Clint's Peabody team played in the Class A finals last year. They need to go get experience.

Let's look at the past hires since the legendary Fred Gamlin.

Mike Brown...no head coaching experience.

Terry Taylor....no head coaching experience.

Tom Weeks...1 yr of head coaching experience.

Drew Emerson...little experience.

Go get somebody that has tasted success! Roll Red Roll!

I would like Henry Co. to give Clint Sisco a look. Sisco was an assistant there a few years ago. Great teacher in the classroom. Demands discipline and he knows his stuff. Great pedigree too with brother Marty Sisco, the legend at Union City and nephew Shane, now head coach at Union City and in the state tournament again. Clint's Peabody team played in the Class A finals last year. They need to go get experience.

Give Emerson a chance he will do a good job and from the looks of things he got the team to the district finals with a losing record. To me that has things going in the right direction I mean he must have done something right

Edited by jrm2x

There is nothing wrong with getting someone with experience but John Wooden did did not have any Head coaching experience before someone hired him for that first head coaching position. Also, I know several head coaches that have a lot of experience but that certainly does not make them a good coach.

By the way, Weeks is a heck of a basketball coach.

You keep saying "the board", but they have absolutely nothing to do with hiring and firing teachers and coaches in Henry County.

Actually the School Board is under the scope of the HC Board of Education just like the Director of Schools and other top level administrators. Not sure of terminolgy but I would guess it is their Charter. Each year at this time the Director has to approve all new hires and existing teachers for rehire. Tenured Teachers still have to fill out form that says they intend to return in Fall. His decisions are then approved or disapproved by School Board, I think in March. March meeting tends to be standing room only. I would say that if a school system is running smoothly that the School Board will rely on the Director's decisions and broad stroke all with a yea. I have not heard of ours (as a body) not agreeing with the Director. Also I asked some Teachers who they are paid by and the answer is Board of Education.

That said, I would be willing to bet that if there is any hiring/firing area at all that School Board members get involved with the Director beforehand it would tend to be Coaches. Have they? Will they? Who knows? Who cares? I guess if they have final say on hiring then they can do whatever their bylaws allow. Can't really blame them if they get involved, sometimes human nature takes over, Coach T is good example where Coaches are discussed in some form or fashion by we the posters. I would say Board Members talk too. Sports talk is every where. I have not seen an EnglishT site to discuss English teachers. Actually their might be one and I just have not looked. For the most part the SB have too many other issues to deal with and personnel is best left to Director and staff which HCSB does a good job of that.

Actually the School Board is under the scope of the HC Board of Education just like the Director of Schools and other top level administrators. Not sure of terminolgy but I would guess it is their Charter. Each year at this time the Director has to approve all new hires and existing teachers for rehire. Tenured Teachers still have to fill out form that says they intend to return in Fall. His decisions are then approved or disapproved by School Board, I think in March. March meeting tends to be standing room only. I would say that if a school system is running smoothly that the School Board will rely on the Director's decisions and broad stroke all with a yea. I have not heard of ours (as a body) not agreeing with the Director. Also I asked some Teachers who they are paid by and the answer is Board of Education.

That said, I would be willing to bet that if there is any hiring/firing area at all that School Board members get involved with the Director beforehand it would tend to be Coaches. Have they? Will they? Who knows? Who cares? I guess if they have final say on hiring then they can do whatever their bylaws allow. Can't really blame them if they get involved, sometimes human nature takes over, Coach T is good example where Coaches are discussed in some form or fashion by we the posters. I would say Board Members talk too. Sports talk is every where. I have not seen an EnglishT site to discuss English teachers. Actually their might be one and I just have not looked. For the most part the SB have too many other issues to deal with and personnel is best left to Director and staff which HCSB does a good job of that.

I agree with everything that you said, however, we have a CONTROL FREAK at the helm and he must make sure all of his pawns do as he wants. Make no mistake. One person hires/fires in our county.

You keep saying "the board", but they have absolutely nothing to do with hiring and firing teachers and coaches in Henry County.

agree

I agree with everything that you said, however, we have a CONTROL FREAK at the helm and he must make sure all of his pawns do as he wants. Make no mistake. One person hires/fires in our county.

agree

I see your point. I am going to be a little kinder in my words. The Captain of the boat is more of a MicroManager. That is a style that works for him. Nothing wrong with that, many folks are. Maybe that job requires it???? I can tell you I don't want it.

The decision to go interim I thought was the best decision at the time. It affords the decision makers a chance to play the field and see whom is available and make a decision on who they feel is the best for the students and taxpayers. For me that is all I could ask of them. If it turns out to be current interim coach or someone else as long as they way the options and choose with students and taxpayers in mind I am not sure there is a wrong choice unless time were to prove them wrong.

I think that Coach Tony Hardin a longtime coach in East Tn is looking into this job. He is all of what it sounds like you need. He could really build another program. He did it at Elizabethton High school and has been coaching for over 25 years.

Can he do it one year? That's all most of you on here seem to want to give the present coach. And he did take the team pretty far.

Can he do it one year? That's all most of you on here seem to want to give the present coach. And he did take the team pretty far.

I am impressed with what he did with the team. I know when they hired the coach for 05-06 many people were turned away when it was tagged as an interim position. Who would want to move taking a chance that after the season they would be gone. Considering the improvement he made, and probably with the lack of offseason program he was able to have in place he did well. I do not expect too many top notch candidates wanting to venture in to Henry Co considering the rocky road they have had there. Plus I say give the guy that took a chance on you a chance to really make a program. He improved it, by hiring someone else, you are saying he did not do a good enough job.

Getting someone with a proven track record is sometimes overrated. Every great coach has to start out somewhere. I am not saying to hire a coach with no coaching experience, but some good coaches are assistants or coaching middle school, freshman, or JV ball.

I think that Coach Tony Hardin a longtime coach in East Tn is looking into this job. He is all of what it sounds like you need. He could really build another program. He did it at Elizabethton High school and has been coaching for over 25 years.

Nice name, Coach.

I know Coach Hardin a bit-----he's a GREAT coach and would be a great hire for whoever decides to take him. He was at Eliz. the same time I was passing through East Tn and always had the Cyclones playing hard.