Oliver Springs or Unaka

BBALLTN

My bad on stating Cloudland lost to Unaka. I still stand by my comment that Unaka, Cloudland, & Hampton combined didn't play the schedue Oliver Springs did during the regular season.

Did any of those teams play

Livingston Academy twice?

Clarkrange once?

Oak Ridge once?

Franklin County once?

Coalfield three times?

Oneida three times?

Knox Webb once?

Did any of the above teams play in the Mid South Tourney? My point is, typically teams that schedule powers certainly have an advantage during the tournies.

Also, I was talking more from a Class A stand point than AA. Almost every year the Single A representitives from East Tennessee comes from the Knoxville area for the Single A tourney.

OS91, Hey, that's a very good post; but would you mind sharing with us why the Clarkrange score doesn't appear on your schedule? Nor can I find the scores from the two Livingston Academy games you mentioned. Probably a mere oversight.

However, I did see where you played Oak Ridge . . . .and lost by 28 points.

I also saw where you played Franklin, and of course, lost to them by nine.

And 13 and 16 Jefferson County beat you by 8 points, right?

You also mentioned Franklin County; they only beat you by nine.

And of course, York Institute swept you - by nine at your place, by eight at theirs.

. . . .But, just to be fair, I finally found your Clarkrange score. The Lady Buffaloes also beat you, but this loss was in a Hall of Fame game, but for some reason, such "losses" only count, if the losing team wants them to.

Lots of teams play "tough" schedules. For some, like the 2004 State Champion Rangers boys team, the strategy works. For others, not necessarily.

I don't see where playing, and losing, to everyone you listed, in and of itself makes you so much better. Your Ladies should be able to thrash Unaka. Maybe they will. But I don't think all those losses necessarily add up to an Oliver Springs win.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CoachH17 what do you Coach? GO LADY BOBCATS... :thumb:

Just my daughter in rec league now. I changed careers last February after 12 years of coaching in Elizabethton. I coached the T.A. Dugger middle school girls basketball and softball teams for six years before spending the last four as JV girls coach and varsity assistant to Coach Mike Wilson. It was a fun time, and I still enjoy keeping up with my Lady Cyclones.

I need to quit doing four things at one time. LOL Replace York for Livingston Academy. You see OS has played so many top teams throughout Tennessee over the last 5 years that its difficult to keep up with. 3 years ago OS played Livington Academy twice ( once beating them the year they were AA state champs and losing to the Lady Wildcats in the AA semifinals in Mboro). THis year OS played York institute twice. York are Livigingtson Academyare similar schools in Middle Tennessee known for this basketball tradition located just 15 miles from each other.

Anwyay back on topic.

While Im certainly not bragging about losses to very good teams from OS's big time class a Scchedule, OS middle of the row teams on their schedule were better than the best teams from Unaka's schedule. Also, OS as a program in general certainly doesn't need to brag about losses to elite teams. It's record over the last 5 years in AA speaks for itself.

Anderson County, White County, Coalfield, Oneida, and others would have been the best teams on Unaka's schedule if they competed in Upper East Tennessee.

The bottom line is, Unaka is going to be playing in one of the more hostile enviormenents in girls high school basketball & playing a caliber of team it rarely faces.

The reality is the upper East Tennessee A Region procuded a runnerup with an average 17-12 record ( against average to below opponents) and a champion according to coacht.com with a losing record ( again against average to below average schedule). Yet, Oliver Spring's region had two exceptional teams like Coalfield & Oneida eliminated in region play. If those two teams were in the upper East Tennessee region, they would still be playing basketball.

Don't get me wrong, Unaka has a cute little team. But, they are about tot walk into a Cats den with big time basketball awaiting and a rowdy student section nortiously known throughout the state for greeting opposing teams.

Edited by OS91

Thanks for the compliment bballtn, now Goosevol when have you heard me yelling at him? You know I am most definitely the loudest mouth in the gym and the ring leader for getting the crowd involved.

After spending the entire day with the players and cheerleaders I can say we will welcome Unaka to the cage, claws are out and ready!

OS wins, don't know or care what the score is as long as it is a W for OS!!!!!!!

GO LADYCATS!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bballmom

I watched the Oliver Springs at Ellzabethton game two seasons ago, the one decided by the foul called on Elizabethton with two seconds remaining. The Great Guard, Hall, hit the free throws to seal it. I was at Elizabethton last season and saw the Elizabethton win. So, please believe that many of us have seen your team, we respect your Greatness, and we realize Unaka is the less-talented team, the underdogs.

I merely pointed out that ALL the elite teams mentioned, beat the Lady Cats. Losing to better teams isn't necessarily better for a team's preparedness or confidence. Coalfield and Oneida are to be commended for making it to State last season. Coalfield beat Unaka at Coalfield, just two nights after Cloudland ended Unaka's 31 game winning streak in the Regional Final. In the state tournament, the Yellow Jackets and Cherokees were both wiped out. Thus, those Region 2 - A bragging rights don't necessarily run State-Wide.

As to the Upper East teams getting beat up by those incredible Knoxville and beyond teams? Get over yourselves. One more time: There are Only Three Single A teams in Upper East Tennessee, compared to a few-over-a-hundred Single A teams State-wide. Do the Math!

Unaka, because of the lack of Single A schools in our area, must travel state-wide to complete their schedule. And ALL the other teams, besides the Six, Single A Conference Games, must come from elsewhere. Unaka played Eleven games agaisnt schools above their Single A Classification. Perhaps ya'll will come up next season and help us Upgrade our schedule.

And while I'm extending the olive branch, :lol: I stood right next to the fan club you brought to Elizabethton. It is indeed, AMAZING! I hope to get to see more tomorrow night. But the drive to Oliver Springs would probably be a waste of time. Maybe Coach Chambers will just keep his Ladies at home? Maybe we can all go watch Greenback have their way with the Lady Bulldogs?

Edited by krichunaka

Any team that is playing tomorrow night is capable of winning.

OS has been in this situation before, but so has Unaka. Unaka was in the state tournament two years ago and if I'm not mistaken (I'm too lazy to look it up) weren't they in the sub state game at Coalfield last year and ranked No. 1 in the state?

It's probably going to be a 10-point game or less and probably won't be decided until the fourth quarter.

I still don't think Oliver Springs' fans will be a factor. Unaka plays in the loudest high school gym I've heard. Maybe the Bobcat faithful will prove me wrong tomorrow night.

:D First I wanna say COnGrats To my GIRLS!!! I Never doubted ya'll!!! Way To get that region Title and substate in the Cage!!! SECOND, I played at OZ for the past 4 yrs which most of ya'll know..I have been to many GYms, with crazy student sections, and annoying fans!!! But there's no doubt n my mind that If i would have played somewhere else besides os I would have hated every trip to OS!!! THANK GOD I WAS A LADY CAT!!!Especially my sophomore year when we hosted JUST the district...I could feel the gym floor shake while playing in the championship game against kingston....Not to mentioned the deafening cheers from the OZ FAithful!!The walk ways were packed full...I heard when you went to teh concession stand durning halftime , if you could get back in to see the floor you got really lucky!!I will NEVER FORGET THAT EVER!!!I can actually admit I am jealous that I never got to experience a substate in our home gym!!!I hope my girls read this and cherish this...Take in the packed crowd, the noise,the rush,bc that one night will come and go and you may never get another!!! Play like there's no tomorrw!!! I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO IMAGINE WHAT A SUSTATE GAME IN THE LAND OF OZ,THE RAGE IN THE CAGE,WITH THE LADY CATS PLAYING WOULD BE LIKE!!!!! I'm playing at the Georgia Tech tournament this weekend and there's nothing I wouldn't do to be able to Experience that game with my seniors KD,KARO,and CAsee while watching our lil ones Tear apart unaka!!! It doesn't matter what happened the past two years at elizabethon(however you spell it and i see it everyday!!!) NEW TEAM... NEW IDENITY...NEW YEAR!!!WIth hard work,trust,heart ,and dedication our girls can do anything!!!! FOrget the past IT'S ALL ABOUT RIGHT NOW!!!! Ya'll will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!! Just remember this.....

ONE TEAM....ONE GOAL.....STATE!!![/size]

Edited by Ozballer12

Coach K, I'll be calling you later to make sure that the girls see/read this post. OZBALLER12 I LOVE U!!!!!

Don't worry about not being with us tonight you take care of your business in GA, we'll be to see you play soon.

I know that Katie, Kara and Casee will be at their loudest tonight.

Goose, I love the way your getting the purple people eaters fired up for tonight-LOL.

GO LADYCATS!!!!!!!!

Hey Unaka fans....a little motivation from a friend in upper east TN.

Two years ago, these same Oliver Springs girls were sporting a two and a half year unbeaten record in middle school ball. We took some girls from Rogersville down to Caton's Chapel and faced athem in the east section championship.

Their arrogance was profound, but their team was incredibly talented. I will never forget a quote from one of the fans from another school in their area, when he found out we were there for the girl's tournament. He said " If you are here for the girls, you are playing for second, because those girls from Oliver Springs can't be beat." The night of the championship game they entered the gym sporting balloons and flowers for the girls fully prepared to celebrate their second consecutive "state" championship.

Well....our girls from Rogersville put a beating on them that night. They did it by playing extremely aggressive and tenacious defense and pounding the boards.

I will be pulling for you guys....play hard, but know that the Christopher girl is the real deal. As a seventh grader she could rain threes in from 4 feet behind the arc JJ Redick style.

Good Luck