Private schools unfair advantage?

WCBalla

It sounds to me like both proponents of public schools and propoents for public schools want the same thing, just for different reasons. The arguments are about the reasons.

I know that there are a lot of issues to address, but it is not impossible to make the separation. It just requires that the people in authority discuss the goal and make the road map to get there addressing all the issues along the way.

It seems that the TSSAA would have to be involved due to their authority provided by the National High School Association. But I would favor the first step of making all privates DII and let publics have D1. Although I do not like the indication the "2" has. I would just call it Privates and Publics. Again, there can be scheduling of regular season game between the division, but the State would be separated. I think this would be a good first step.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea because the most talented and most competitive teams would be in the private schools anyway. I don't agree with you on this.

I do not know why you would not agree with me on this point. After all, it seems that your complaint is that the private schools are taking away all of your talent... and I am agreeing with you!

"Glad you are part of the public school system ... now I know what my kids will be missing Dude."

tndeviant,

i think you know that, for every bill in the publics there is someone in the privates who thinks they were born better than the publics.

we all have our crosses to bear.

and i dont think there are many public people calling for separation, other than in playoff/championships.

and that is not totally off base.

however, there are people on both sides who understand that there are similar issues beyond just public-private.

let me reiterate my call for a merit system.

"Glad you are part of the public school system ... now I know what my kids will be missing Dude."

tndeviant,

i think you know that, for every bill in the publics there is someone in the privates who thinks they were born better than the publics.

we all have our crosses to bear.

I acutally like the name ... I might make it my new handle. I understand both sides of the story. However, I also (and you should too) understand that making idiotic statements comparing the reporting of rape by a female to reporting of private school improprieties is absolutely ridiculous. I have no problem with debate. I wish Antwan came around more during the football off-season actually.

and i dont think there are many public people calling for separation, other than in playoff/championships.

and that is not totally off base.

however, there are people on both sides who understand that there are similar issues beyond just public-private.

let me reiterate my call for a merit system.

I remember the call and vote for the merit system. It was FAR and AWAY my first choice even though I think that a full split is unevitable. I do remember Trousdale supporters bellyaching about having to be "punished" by moving up when they win ... and that is why it won't ever be a valid option for us - us being everyone.

But I do agree ... you vision of a merit system is by far the best option for everyone. It levels the playing field for the haves and have-nots ... with the haves being the schools that excel (public, private, magnet) for whatever reason (facilities, coaches, $$$, support, etc).

Edited by tnsddeveloper

I have never noticed a private school getting in trouble for recruiting another school's valedictorian or salutatorian. Why is that?

Because by definition they have already graduated. If we are talking about potential valedictorians or salutatorians that might have gone to your public school...the privates already have them. They were "recruited" as early as Kindergarden.

Because by definition they have already graduated. If we are talking about potential valedictorians or salutatorians that might have gone to your public school...the privates already have them. They were "recruited" as early as Kindergarden.

Is potential a 7th grader that is 225 and runs a 4.9 40?

"" "" """ 175 6.3 4.7 40?

I really can find difficulty in finding how a football coach would have a hard time finding potential in that type of student.

:D

Bill you are a VERY angry man. I know you won't tell anyone about your deep hate for private schools but I'm assuming some school where you ( or your kid ) go has 1) lost a great athlete to a private school OR 2) gotten your butt kicked by a private school. I am a parent who thought idoitic things like you and made sure my 2 children got a good public education. The youngest of these 2 is a male he played sports his whole life and was an AVERAGE athlete. The public school he was assigned to go to was not the best (not sports wise...enviroment wise ) so he asked me if he could home school his senior year... oh by the way he quit all sports his jr. year. After 1/2 a semster of home school he came to me and wanted to graduate from a school. We went the private route and my child or I couldn't be happier. He got in 1/2 of one sport and all season in another... AND I might add has made a good contribution to both teams. Try not to hate something you obviously don't understand. I can name at least 10+ students in this area who live out of zone in public schools in several different sports but were "recruited" because playing on a winning team was the most important thing. I assure you it is as common in public as much as private... grow up don't be so naive.Oh and your wanting to write every thing in caps and colors has convenced me you must be about 12 years old because you want to be seen AND heard... no one is impressed... grow up and come to the real world where that big bad private school monster won't eat you.

Bill since you didn't respond to this I wanted to add a few more things.

You always respond in anger and stupidity to tndeveloper and it seems like you don't get the point of what he and I are saying. we have both seen the 2 sides to this issue. Have you ever been involved in a private school ? I already know the answer but I want you to understand outside your fantasy world is reality... just a few "public" schools you should consider before you lay all the "cheating" on the private scools ... and this is a very short list of only Middle Tn. schools, and some or all of these have been mentioned, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, Riverdale,siegel

Brentwood (not Academy ),and the list goes on and on... NOW I have to ask this question 1 more time.. IF you are an adult, why do you feel the need to do the big caps and color stuff ? Obviously that "public" education you have is good for something...if you can't out think them try to confuse them !!!

Edited by commander1

commander1 ... Bill won't be back. I think I nailed it when I suspected that he was a coach at a small public high school. Using my tax dollars to chat during work. It won't be hard to figure out who he is now. He deleted every post that he could that seemed bigotted towards private school kids ... and his crazy claim that turning in a private school for recruiting was like a girl not going to the police after being raped. It's a shame that when you reply to a message, that idiotic statements like that stick around for the whole world to see.

Maybe we can meet up sometime. I watch FCS games faily often - as my schedule permits. I'm pretty close to McNeal and especially Lowe (as I played ball with him and his older brother at FCS).

tnd would enjoy meeting you... we will be at the field Fri @ 3:00 and Sat @11:00. They played 2 yesterday. I agree.... it's a shame when someone who has NO CLUE what he is talking about compares high school athletics to rape. But I think you might have given away some of his identity when you said he was a small coach at a public school... I mean a coach at a small public school :D If you get out just find some one you know and ask for #21's dad.

There are a couple of issues that have to be hammered out for everything to work properly for everyone in terms of an overall split.

One would be finding a national sanctioning body that would recognize such a small group of private schools. Without that, the TSSAA would refuse to santion even scrimmages, let alone real games. With a small number of schools, it would be difficult to do. An example would be the scrimmage that Brentwood Academy wanted with a new private from Chicago. The TSSAA did not allow it because they weren't sanctioned. I know that's one example, but the issue is larger beyond that one example. I know there are sanctioning bodies that recognize private school leagues, but a most of those recognized leagues are enormously larger that a TN private school league would be considering we have very few parochial schools within TN. (I'm sure some yahoo will find 1 league that is small and sanctioned ... but it is what it is ... one small league.) A potential solution to this would be to try to pull in privates from other states ... but geographically that stinks even more than it would without that.

The second issue comes down to money. Although the publics make up a disproportionately large portion of the base of member schools, the private schools make up a disproportionately large portion of $$$ in the TSSAA in comparison. It would be a definite blow to TSSAA coffers ... and my guess why privates haven't been thrown out on there ears already. Explain how you come to this conclusion.

If you went back and read every single one of my posts, you would see that I am actually for a split (I'm using you in a general sense and not barking at you CPGB06). I think each private schools mission would be better served by regulating themselves as opposed to having some local yokel like Bill#49 dictate to them from a prejudiced and bigotted viewpoint. I think you would see a super league, where privates can actually recruit and offer scholarships as part of the leagues charter. I think academics would get better due to being able to offer scholarships to academic kids without worrying about if they will want to play a sport. I do think it would hurt public schools since there would be open season recruiting. There won't be a mass exodus, but if the best football is played at that point at the privates and junior is a star at the public but wants that better recognition and is being offered a scholarship ... where do you think he will go?

I do want a split, but for the right reasons ... not Dudes idiotic rants about kids from Texas at FRA or whatever else spills out of his empty head. (Glad you are part of the public school system ... now I know what my kids will be missing Dude.)

tnd would enjoy meeting you... we will be at the field Fri @ 3:00 and Sat @11:00. They played 2 yesterday. I agree.... it's a shame when someone who has NO CLUE what he is talking about compares high school athletics to rape. But I think you might have given away some of his identity when you said he was a small coach at a public school... I mean a coach at a small public school :) If you get out just find some one you know and ask for #21's dad.

I would love to hit the games this week. I'd get to watch FCS and catch up with some of my old CU friends that are coaching. But alas, I have to work ... actually deal with my accountant for biz taxes. Oh well. I will definitely make a point of meeting you when I get out to a game.

The small man is from Marion Co. Now that the Chattanooga privates have been multiplied ... well, we know what is happening. :)

Edited by tnsddeveloper