Private schools unfair advantage?

WCBalla

Before pointing the finger at the privates, you may want to look at the publics too. If you honestly think that the Riverdales, Alcoas, Maryvilles, Shelbyvilles, DBs, Oak Ridges, and Trousdales of the world are just "naturally" good, then you really have your head in the sand.

I can see what your saying. But they have to recruit the hallways of their schools instead of recruiting like the private schools do.

We get what comes to us. My 5'7" left guard is what the good Lord gave me because this is where he is suppose to go. He doesn't have anyone giving his daddy a job or paying his tuition to go to school somewhere else. :D:(

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about areas with "Open Zoning" such as Memphis, Oliver Springs, and Bradley County? Who will monitor recruiting at these schools?

THE QUESTION THAT EVERYONE DODGES!!

Walker Valley, Cleveland, and Bradley County don't recruit? Oh please. I am almost positive those coaches @ Cleveland have to to keep the Bradley people from sinking their hooks in.

What does everyone have to say about "Open Enrollment"? If "No coach or school official can have any contact with a student enrolled outside of the feeder school system" rule applies to public schools, and public schools are virtuous enough to abide by it :D, how come no one will believe that private schools don't also abide by it?

I know for a fact my alma matter Grace Baptist Acadmey does not recruit, but does have a hard enough time keeping talent in the school and playing sports.

Private schools are not the problem most sucessful schools recruit and offer perks, that includes Privates, Magnets, and Publics.

tnsddeveloper knows the truth.

Ok, lets see here. I will quote tnsddeveloper here and say, if you have specifics to recruiting, go to the TSSAA and report the school in violation, but please don't just point fingers at the privates. As for Goodpasture and DL, they "accepted" the mandated multiplier, otherwise they would have gone DII. I don't think the TSSAA will turn their heads to any violation if you have the proof, that has been proven in the past. Punishment is implemented by a board of directors and not Ronnie Carter alone. This goes for both Publics and Privates. Lastly, just what problem is it you are trying to solve and why so angry?

if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics,

RONNIE CARTER GETS WHAT HE WANTS. LOOK AT THE MULTIPLIER MY FRIEND. HE DIDN'T WANT THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS OUT SO WE GOT A MULTIPLIER.

1. Private schools have an unjust advantage or public schools. I believe this has been well documented on this board. We played a Nashville area private school in the semifinals in 1991 and they had 6 kids that were going to this particular school. Guess where their parents were living? TEXAS. They just so happen want to come to Franklin Road Academy for the academics.

2. I will not be happy with the TSSAA until we have a complete split. Until this affects all schools, not just A, AA, and AAA, we will not have a complete split.

3. Putting the public and private schools back together and letting everyone recruit would be better than it is now.

I can see what your saying. But they have to recruit the hallways of their schools instead of recruiting like the private schools do.

We get what comes to us. My 5'7" left guard is what the good Lord gave me because this is where he is suppose to go. He doesn't have anyone giving his daddy a job or paying his tuition to go to school somewhere else. :):(

Do they really recruit within themselves? You can't tell me that there is a magic waterfountain in Shelbyville High that churned out national championship caliber girls basketball players and that Insell just had to walk the halls to find them. :D

Again, if you know someone that was given a job for Junior to play at a particular school - turn it in to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you have no legs to stand on. And I guess at 5'7" ... you don't have very long legs anyway! :angry:

Do they really recruit within themselves? You can't tell me that there is a magic waterfountain in Shelbyville High that churned out national championship caliber girls basketball players and that Insell just had to walk the halls to find them. :D

Again, if you know someone that was given a job for Junior to play at a particular school - turn it in to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you have no legs to stand on. And I guess at 5'7" ... you don't have very long legs anyway! :(

As long as it's nobody officially associated with a school doing the recruiting, it can't be stopped. I do feel Shelbyville has been allowed to do a lot of things other schools wouldn't because of the national publicity their girls basketball team generates for the state. That's wrong. The AAU contacts made in basketball are a whole other subject and a ton could be written. Regardless, none of this means there shouldn't be a split. Like I've said on here many times, having all the private schools in one division would help the travel situation-a reason some give for not wanting the split. Some I have talked to briefly from non-TSSAA schools would consider joining if they could be assured of playing in a small class of privates, which would be good for them and their opponents, even less travel in the regular season. With all the private schools, there would be enough for two classes in Division II easily, maybe even three especially if a few currently non-TSSAA members joined. Silverdale Acad. in Chattanooga made the move and they were competitive in many of their boys basketball games this season, they hired an outstanding football coach recently so look for them to progress there too. Wrapping it up, wouldn't it something to see a private school final of maybe Grace Academy vs Brentwood Academy this season? Similar schools, dominating big men for each team and I believe the game would be better than what BA got from many of their Division II opponents this season.

Edited by Indian

As long as it's nobody officially associated with a school doing the recruiting, it can't be stopped. I do feel Shelbyville has been allowed to do a lot of things other schools wouldn't because of the national publicity their girls basketball team generates for the state. That's wrong. The AAU contacts made in basketball are a whole other subject and a ton could be written. Regardless, none of this means there shouldn't be a split. Like I've said on here many times, having all the private schools in one division would help the travel situation-a reason some give for not wanting the split. Some I have talked to briefly from non-TSSAA schools would consider joining if they could be assured of playing in a small class of privates, which would be good for them and their opponents, even less travel in the regular season. Silverdale Acad. in Chattanooga made the move and they were competitive in many of their boys basketball games this season. Wrapping it up, wouldn't it something to see a private school final of maybe Grace Academy vs Brentwood Academy this season? Similar schools, dominating big men for each team and I believe the game would be better than what BA got from many of their Division II opponents this season.

So you aren't denying that this occurs at publics. Good start. The hypocracy of the public schools to point the finger at privates considering this is so ludicrous. And it isn't exclusive to just Shelbyville. There are tons of "programs" across all sports that have dominant schools year in and out.

And I care nothing about seeing BA play Grace. I would rather watch BA play Siegel. Put everyone back together and lets go from there. Otherwise, more splits and classes means more championships ... nothing like being the state champion - only to have 15 other state basketball champions. :D

if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics, if you have specifics,

RONNIE CARTER GETS WHAT HE WANTS. LOOK AT THE MULTIPLIER MY FRIEND. HE DIDN'T WANT THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS OUT SO WE GOT A MULTIPLIER.

1. Private schools have an unjust advantage or public schools. I believe this has been well documented on this board. We played a Nashville area private school in the semifinals in 1991 and they had 6 kids that were going to this particular school. Guess where their parents were living? TEXAS. They just so happen want to come to Franklin Road Academy for the academics.

2. I will not be happy with the TSSAA until we have a complete split. Until this affects all schools, not just A, AA, and AAA, we will not have a complete split.

3. Putting the public and private schools back together and letting everyone recruit would be better than it is now.

That 1991 team was one of the best from up and down the valley in the last 20 years, and I believe they were still beaten by three touchdowns that game. FRA isn't a boarding school, right? I guess "arrangements" were made. Sounds similar to something at a Chattanooga Division I private school this year.

So you aren't denying that this occurs at publics. Good start. The hypocracy of the public schools to point the finger at privates considering this is so ludicrous. And it isn't exclusive to just Shelbyville. There are tons of "programs" across all sports that have dominant schools year in and out.

And I care nothing about seeing BA play Grace. I would rather watch BA play Siegel. Put everyone back together and lets go from there. Otherwise, more splits and classes means more championships ... nothing like being the state champion - only to have 15 other state basketball champions. :D

Few have been as nationally known as Shelbyville girls basketball. As for BA, there's no way a 300 to 350 student school should have the state's best football program over the years, now the state's top boys basketball team and one of it's most highly recruited players ever, strong teams in other sports currently and over the years even when they played against schools five and six times larger. That's the problem, it just doesn't add up. How many public schools in Tennessee with less than 400 students have produced a Brandon Wright in basketball, a Patrick Turner (Goodpasture) in football, among the best in the nation the last two seasons and at or headed to top college teams. How many Class 5A or AAA teams for that matter, not many.

Few have been as nationally known as Shelbyville girls basketball. As for BA, there's no way a 300 to 350 student school should have the state's best football program over the years, now the state's top boys basketball team and one of it's most highly recruited players ever, strong teams in other sports currently and over the years even when they played against schools five and six times larger. That's the problem, it just doesn't add up. How many public schools in Tennessee with less than 400 students have produced a Brandon Wright in basketball, a Patrick Turner (Goodpasture) in football, among the best in the nation the last two seasons and at or headed to top college teams. How many Class 5A or AAA teams for that matter, not many.

OK, I can play that game. You can't tell me that there is enough talent in the Riverdale zone only for them to dominate in football ever single year. Also, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, DB, Maryville, and Trousdale. It just isn't possible. All of those schools have kids signing D1 scholarships every single year. How? None of those places are huge places. Explain it.

How about Houston in baseball? How do they dominate everyyear? Is it just a strange coincidence that all there players sign at D1 schools with another D1 caliber player to replace them the next year.

Like I said, this is not a public/private issue ... it is an EVERYBODY issue. Why aren't you jumping up and down about the open zoned Maryvilles of the world? Are you biased towards private school kids? :D

. . . 1. Private schools have an unjust advantage or public schools. I believe this has been well documented on this board. We played a Nashville area private school in the semifinals in 1991 and they had 6 kids that were going to this particular school. Guess where their parents were living? TEXAS. They just so happen want to come to Franklin Road Academy for the academics.

I am continually amazed at the outrageous accusations that are posted on here.

Your claim is that in 1991 FRA had 6 kids on their football team all of whom had parents living in Texas. Is that what you are saying? Can't you come up with a tale that makes a little more sense?

Even if this was the truth which it isn't, I think after 14 years I would have gotten over it.

Do they really recruit within themselves? You can't tell me that there is a magic waterfountain in Shelbyville High that churned out national championship caliber girls basketball players and that Insell just had to walk the halls to find them. :thumb:

Again, if you know someone that was given a job for Junior to play at a particular school - turn it in to the TSSAA. Otherwise, you have no legs to stand on. And I guess at 5'7" ... you don't have very long legs anyway! :)

long legs aren't everything. :)

I was describing one of my players at 5'7" not me.

Edited by Bill#49