Private schools unfair advantage?

WCBalla

...........and I must admit, I got a chuckle out of your reply. Why? Because you seem to know the exact circumstance I refer to when I talk about parent recruiting. Except you left out the phone calls, free meals at local restaurants, visits to the school, etc., etc., etc.

This issue is that you refuse to see that this "issue" is not one that is exclusive to private schools. Publics do it all the time too. Are you going to police everyone or are you just going to cry about a few?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that private schools playing Division I should play at a higher classification than their attendance dictates.

Using Friendship in Lebanon as an example, they play a single 'A' schedule. Yet they go out and try to recruit the best players from Lebanon, Mt. Juliet and even Watertown. Head coach Matt Bradshaw does not participate in this but a few parents at the middle school level are very active in the recruiting process. If you get an athlete to enter in middle school, they will certainly be there at the high school level.

This means that a higher percentage of students in each grade level are capable of playing at a high athletic level. Schools Friendship competes against, such as Watertown and Gordonsville, have to take what their student body has to offer while playing hand-picked, often superior athletes.

In my mind, that is a distinct advantage for the private school. I think Friendship should have to compete at the 'AA' level or maybe even the 'AAA' level. Am I wrong? Should classification be based on the percentage of students participating in athletics? I know that doesn't work but the system as it is does not work either.

I don't think it is a coincidence that private schools dominate their poorer brothers and sisters.

Somebody set me straight and tell me I'm wrong. Please.

im not gonna say some dont but u cant say that ALL do.

WCballa, if you would have read my whole post then you would've seen my reasoning. The simple fact that several refs are employees of public schools, doesn't necessarily give them an edge, but evens the playing field. Also, what do poor black kids and rich white kids have to do with anything? Last I checked rich white kids go to public schools too, so this whole thing about difference in money, forget it. How much a kids parent makes doesn't make a difference on the calls in the game. Last time I checked every school pays the refs the exact same amount of money. So, maybe you're the one who should grow up and realize that your beating a dead horse and drop this whole crying thing about private schools!!!!!!

As for the complete split, why? There are 3 times as many public schools than private. If you split, yes the public schools wouldn't change much, but private schools would be forced to play the same teams like 4 times a year, which is stupid.

What this all boils down to is that no one wants to see a private school do good in sports. This simple fact caused the mulitplier. And by the way, two girls basketball teams and one boys who the multiplier made move up, still made it to the state tourny this year. So what's next, other than the split idea, make private schools with 250-300 students play Antioch or McGavock? Because here's a little hint, it might take a bit longer but eventually the private schools would beat them too!!!

What about areas with "Open Zoning" such as Memphis, Oliver Springs, and Bradley County? Who will monitor recruiting at these schools?

Bradley County does not have open zoning. They do however have open enrollment meaning a student has the option of going to the School of their choice. The Walker Valley zone is actually about 2 miles from Bradley Centrals back door but the kids are bused 15 mile north to Walker Valley. You ask what keeps recruiting monitored? No coach or school official can have any contact with a student enrolled outside of the feeder school system.

:D

Split, split, split!!!!!!!!

You can multiply by a 100 and the private schools will just go out and recruit that much harder and will beat Riverdale, Ravenwood, Oak Ridge, whoever in 5 years after you start the multiplier. Goodpasture and Lipscomb both private schools were forced to use the multiplier this year and they made it all the way to the state championship. In 5 years, if not sooner, A, AA, and AAA will be dominated by private schools.

The private schools are going to recruit and the TSSAA will turned their heads the other way. Every now and then they will make an exception and crack down on one particular private school to be able to say, "look what we did to that bad ole private school". But they are going to let the other 30 private schools get away with it.

Do we want to solve the problem then either have a COMPLETE SPLIT or PUT THEM ALL BACK IN WITH THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS and let everyone recruit. :D:D

Edited by Bill#49

Do we want to solve the problem then either have a COMPLETE SPLIT or PUT THEM ALL BACK IN WITH THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS and let everyone recruit. :D:D

Before pointing the finger at the privates, you may want to look at the publics too. If you honestly think that the Riverdales, Alcoas, Maryvilles, Shelbyvilles, DBs, Oak Ridges, and Trousdales of the world are just "naturally" good, then you really have your head in the sand.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

:D

You can multiply by a 100 and the private schools will just go out and recruit that much harder and will beat Riverdale, Ravenwood, Oak Ridge, whoever in 5 years after you start the multiplier. Goodpasture and Lipscomb both private schools were forced to use the multiplier this year and they made it all the way to the state championship. In 5 years, if not sooner, A, AA, and AAA will be dominated by private schools.

The private schools are going to recruit and the TSSAA will turned their heads the other way. Every now and then they will make an exception and crack down on one particular private school to be able to say, "look what we did to that bad ole private school". But they are going to let the other 30 private schools get away with it.

Ok, lets see here. I will quote tnsddeveloper here and say, if you have specifics to recruiting, go to the TSSAA and report the school in violation, but please don't just point fingers at the privates. As for Goodpasture and DL, they "accepted" the mandated multiplier, otherwise they would have gone DII. I don't think the TSSAA will turn their heads to any violation if you have the proof, that has been proven in the past. Punishment is implemented by a board of directors and not Ronnie Carter alone. This goes for both Publics and Privates. Lastly, just what problem is it you are trying to solve and why so angry?