Union City

gamebreaker

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a little of the U.C. and Camden scrimmage friday and U.C. was out of the shotgun every play. Is this gonna be thier offense?

If so, they will probably do well in A but that style will not work for them when they play teams from higher classes. I predict that UC goes seven and three in the regular season with a quick exit from the playoffs in the second round

If so, they will probably do well in A but that style will not work for them when they play teams from higher classes. I predict that UC goes seven and three in the regular season with a quick exit from the playoffs in the second round

I think it will have a better effect on playing non region opponents of a higher class.(Something UC takes pride in) The shotgun approach will use brains over bronze.

Check out the State Champions from both Florida and Texas in 3A, 4A, and 5A, the last few years... ALL SHOTGUN SPREAD NO TE OFFENSES! IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COACH, IT CAN WORK AT ANY LEVEL! The difference is you can't take a typical high school practice schedule and make it work. Instead of working on the running scheme for 50 minutes a week and maybe spending 10 minutes on the pass, you have to flip-flop your approach to practice. My teams practice about two hours a week on nothing but the pass and about half that time on the running game. It can be done but you have to completely change your approach to the game. Every down is a passing down and you only run when it is advantageous to do so.

The shotgun would be a great thing for UC....the got demolished by it in the Blue Cross Bowl. This formation works well in any classification. Look what Trousdale has been able to do with it in 1A...some of your more successful teams all run the shotgun.

Trousdale runs the gun but how many times do they pass? Its just the single wing in disguise. Talent wins regardless of offensive scheme. Its more of what the coach believes in.

Trousdale runs the gun but how many times do they pass? Its just the single wing in disguise. Talent wins regardless of offensive scheme. Its more of what the coach believes in.

TC only on occasion uses the wing with their shotgun formations...they stuck with it because it was extremely effective against UC. As for passing, look at Dillehay's passing numbers...how about the previous quarterback Wesley Sattefield. They throw the ball quite a bit out of the gun. The reason you don't hear about it is because the coach likes to run the ball so much...he has that kind of mentality, and not many teams can stop the run to make TC pass. I do believe Dillehay passed for 300 yards in one game this past season.

Talent can only take you so far. UC had alot more TALENT than TC did in that game. Eventually it comes down to coaching and having the players ready to play.

Shotgun is the way to go people.. Spread set offenses are the wave of the future .

You could see UC get in the ole Multi-T every once in a while but I look for the Purple and Gold to open things up this coming season :lol:

Roll IT OUT UC !! :lol:

In ten years, it will be a rare sight to see a QB under center in football at high school or college level. The various spread sets are the wave of the future. Colleges started it and high schools in the South are going to it wholesale. The key is the discovery that you can develop an effective running attack from the spread sets. The reasons for the success of the spread include:

a) Current blocking rules which allow "holding" without calling it that. This makes effective blockers out of wide receivers as well as interior linemen. It may take a 220 pounder to move a 220 pound defensive linemen, but a 160 pound wide out can "contain" anyone with his arms for a second. The burden on the OL is eased, you don't blast the opponents out of the hole, you "guide" them and the runner picks the hole. These are called zone plays and are more effective in high school than anyplace, since the defenders are not as agile as they are at higher levels.

B) The QB as a runner. This forces defenses to account for another ballcarrier.

c) Elimination of the FB or lead blocker. This is now done by H-backs or men in motion who launch blocks from nearer the line of scrimmage

d) Kids who are comfortable with playing the spread and throwing the ball and running to daylight instead of to an A or B gap. Until recently, middle schoolers and junior high players never threw a pass until the desperation heaves on 3rd and long.

e) New possession pass routes and screens--high percentage passes

f) The fade route, which matches larger wide receivers against cornerbacks who are generally small in high school. Throw it up for grabs, deliberately underthrow the pass and let the unevenly-matched fight for it. If it's not caught, the chances for a defensive pass interference penalty are good--and offensive pass interference is not called in high school. (I must have seen 100 high school football games last year--in person and on tape, and I did not see offensive pass interference called one time.)

The spread is become as fundamental to football as the T formation, the I formation were at earlier points in the development of the game.

e)

So the shotgun is the wave of the future. ElA said check out the teams from florida, texas, etc. Well men i'd say its kind of like the bible, you can make it say whatever you want. ONe key ingredient those states have.....all are among the most talent infested states in the U.S. Have you people ever seen a team with a joe bob QB who has a coach that believes he's going to run "the wave of the future" shotgun? Its better than watching the keystone cops. If you have talent you can run whatever you want and win as long as its coached. There are no magic offenses and i'd think you coaches surely know that. Mark this down.....As sure as the sun rises we'll be having this discussion about the option in a few more years, claiming its superiority. It all comes back around, nothing is new.

So the shotgun is the wave of the future. ElA said check out the teams from florida, texas, etc. Well men i'd say its kind of like the bible, you can make it say whatever you want. ONe key ingredient those states have.....all are among the most talent infested states in the U.S. Have you people ever seen a team with a joe bob QB who has a coach that believes he's going to run "the wave of the future" shotgun? Its better than watching the keystone cops. If you have talent you can run whatever you want and win as long as its coached. There are no magic offenses and i'd think you coaches surely know that. Mark this down.....As sure as the sun rises we'll be having this discussion about the option in a few more years, claiming its superiority. It all comes back around, nothing is new.

It's a heck of a lot better than watching the grass grow with the Wishbone or Wing-T! A lot of smaller programs with less talent are now running the spread all across the nation. You can do it with very little talent IF and ONLY IF the person who puts it in knows how to organize practice and teach the passing game and the spread running game. When I was in high school all we ran was the BONE. You are right, back then, it was the thing to run. Today it is the gun and there are more variations each year. Colleges are switching over and its been in the pros for two decades. It is here to stay!