Union City

gamebreaker

It's a heck of a lot better than watching the grass grow with the Wishbone or Wing-T! A lot of smaller programs with less talent are now running the spread all across the nation. You can do it with very little talent IF and ONLY IF the person who puts it in knows how to organize practice and teach the passing game and the spread running game. When I was in high school all we ran was the BONE. You are right, back then, it was the thing to run. Today it is the gun and there are more variations each year. Colleges are switching over and its been in the pros for two decades. It is here to stay!

i think the shotgun, while being obviousily the top of the mountain at present, will be proven to be a fad just like everything else. it was power I in the 80's, wing T in the 90's, shotgun in the 00's, and it will be somthing else in the teens. i hope it's those crazy lineman wide formations or whatever it's called that steve spurier use to always use to screw with ole phil. that'd be fun to watch :D but seriously, defensive coaches will come up with schemes that will beat that formation just like every formation before it. the shotgun is the premier set, but its day's are numbered just like evrything else. the question only remains, what's next? :D

"nothing endures but change"

-heraclitus-

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the State Champions from both Florida and Texas in 3A, 4A, and 5A, the last few years... ALL SHOTGUN SPREAD NO TE OFFENSES! IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COACH, IT CAN WORK AT ANY LEVEL! The difference is you can't take a typical high school practice schedule and make it work. Instead of working on the running scheme for 50 minutes a week and maybe spending 10 minutes on the pass, you have to flip-flop your approach to practice. My teams practice about two hours a week on nothing but the pass and about half that time on the running game. It can be done but you have to completely change your approach to the game. Every down is a passing down and you only run when it is advantageous to do so.

If you can understand what I was trying to say is that they will stun teams in one A because those teams have not seen it. You said yourself that upper class teams run that offense. So doesnt it stand to reason that if an upper class team runs that offense, they can probably stop it too since that is all they scheme against!!!

Are you familiar with this region? McKenzie ran what seemed like exclusively out of shotgun. So teams have seen the gun before.

If you can understand what I was trying to say is that they will stun teams in one A because those teams have not seen it. You said yourself that upper class teams run that offense. So doesnt it stand to reason that if an upper class team runs that offense, they can probably stop it too since that is all they scheme against!!!

Are you familiar with this region? McKenzie ran what seemed like exclusively out of shotgun. So teams have seen the gun before.

I forgot youre right McKenzie just got killed by everyone they played in their region huh. Anyway when they did play someone outside their region (as I said) like obion county(scrimmage this year 14-0) they lost!!!

Ok, so McKenzie was beaten by Obion in 2006 Jamboree, but go back and check who won 5 of the 6 last games between McKenzie and Obion. By the way, McKenzie is 1A with 370 kids in school, hmm...isn't Obion 3A with about 750 kids?? Seems to me, a school of that size ought to beat a 1A school.

Got killed by everybody in our region? Is that a sarcastic joke? We were 6-1 in our region, and number 2 behind State Runnerup Union City.

On teams out of our region, we are 1 and 2. We beat Dresden, and lost a close game against Trenton, and of course, you know Huntingdon always wins.

Aren't you a quick one!!! YES that was sarcastic because a comment was made about trouble within the region. Exactly so you would say that you had trouble out of your divison. My point exactly. OH by the way Central has about 900 kids with around 400 males. It is a sad day when you only have 10% of those kids that want to play football.

Aren't you a quick one!!! YES that was sarcastic because a comment was made about trouble within the region. Exactly so you would say that you had trouble out of your divison. My point exactly. OH by the way Central has about 900 kids with around 400 males. It is a sad day when you only have 10% of those kids that want to play football.

I would be complaining about being out-numbered by the girls 5 to 4. haha

I would be complaining about being out-numbered by the girls 5 to 4. haha

I would be complaining about losing to OC the last 4 years.....

But,this is about the shotgun being played at UC....

I know during spring it didn't translate to scores....It will have to get much better,although the teams you guys scrimmaged in spring will be far stronger than your region schedule....

I think when you are going to be a little weaker,you try to come up with gimmicks to compete..McKenzie did it and did really well,they would have been VERY tough to handle if they would have any semblance of a running game or defense...

Edited by backinthaoc

I would be complaining about losing to OC the last 4 years.....

But,this is about the shotgun being played at UC....

I know during spring it didn't translate to scores....It will have to get much better,although the teams you guys scrimmaged in spring will be far stronger than your region schedule....

I think when you are going to be a little weaker,you try to come up with gimmicks to compete..McKenzie did it and did really well,they would have been VERY tough to handle if they would have any semblance of a running game or defense...

Sorry it was a typo. I meant "wouldn't". But I'm not sorry that UC does not follow McKenzie's example and play down in the preseason. Why would UC ever want to copy McKenzie? I guess it's because McKenzie lasted longer in the post season. NOT. The big guy beating up the little guy does nothing for the big guy.

It's kinda bad that the only thing OC can ever brag about is beating UC. I wish OC could get over UC and focus on getting past the second round.

This will be the year for OC football. Just don't make the OC-UC game your championship. Finish games other than the covington and UC game. Randy Barnes always said "Don't be a one hit wonder."