Cloudland vs Wartburg Updates

titleistprov

I'm not sure what happened with the fans, but as far as the game goes, cloudland did not impress me at all. Wartburg basically just handed them the game. When they weren't shooting the ball off the rafters, they were just handing it to cloudland by either walking or a double dribble. I hate to say it, but i would say cloudland gets beat in the first round by 30

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. (Ms.?) Guppy,

Don't be so rough on your players. By stating that they walked and double-dribbled, you are making them sound like beginners that can't handle the basketball. This is not the case. Wartburg has some good players.

However, students of the game will tell you that good defense will force offensive players to do things like walk and double-dribble. When players cannot complete passes because their teamates are covered, they travel. When the defense is very aggresive and pressuring the ball, the offensive player compensates by pulling the ball in close and potentially catching it on his hip, travel or double-dribble.

Now, I do agree that mental toughness plays a large part in making this type of mistake also. Rattled players make beginner mistakes.

There were a significant number of turnovers in this game, from both teams. Both teams played aggresive defense, as witnessed by the number of fouls called. Again, don't belittle your own players by saying they handed the game to Cloudland. It is disrespectful to both teams, in my humble opinion.

The Highlander

A fan apparently made some remarks to a referee, and the ref asked him to leave. Big deal. I have heard nothing about an arrest.

From where I was sitting, both crowds did a good job of cheering on their teams. I did not hear anything particularly rude from my corner of the gym. Admittedly, my hearing isn't great, and I don't listen anyway, I watch the game.

And on the scoreboard, the 'Landers were a little rude to a team that I'm told is used to putting up 20 points a quarter. To a team that is averaging 75 ppg, being held to only 47 points by a team with a losing record might make me a little upset also. This was their lowest point total of the year by the way.

On the other hand, Cloudland looks like they are averaging about 55 ppg, and they scored 51. Right in line with their production this year.

What does this tell us? Looks like Cloudland did a better job defensively than Wartburg. Does defense win games? Oh yeah.

Congratulations Highlanders, we'll see you in the 'boro!

The Highlander

yea our defense wasnt good i agree... it was like we didnt even try to rebound either... but this doesnt give the fans the right to cuss out our players while walking into the locker room during half time. And the thing about the arrest i have no idea who it was some girl on a cell phone with her boyfriend said something to a wartburg fan and they were supposed to "go outside" but then the cops were there and he tryed to get the girl to shut her mouth and she wouldnt so he did what he had to do... they wrestled for a little while till he could get the cuffs on her. By the way it wasnt just wartburg that was happy to see one of their rude fans out of the school... But the Landers played better offense then us i do agree but they dont deserve to get any farther then the next game

I'm not sure what happened with the fans, but as far as the game goes, cloudland did not impress me at all. Wartburg basically just handed them the game. When they weren't shooting the ball off the rafters, they were just handing it to cloudland by either walking or a double dribble. I hate to say it, but i would say cloudland gets beat in the first round by 30

Guppy I sure hate that you will be pulling against cloudand, but don't put down our kids because your team couldn't get the job done, show some class. Your jealousy speaks loud.

Cheergirl,

I had not heard that. And I'm saddened to hear it now.

On the other hand, don't judge everyone in Roan Mountain by the actions of a few.

I do think it was an exciting game! As far as deserving to be there, of course we do...we beat Wartburg. That is why we have tournaments instead of just declaring the State Champion at the end of the regular season.

The Highlander

First off, congratulations to Cloudland, goodluck in the Boro. Second, you didn't play the Wartburg team that normally steps onto the floor. Wartburg just doesn't have that many turnovers. It just doesn't happen. And you can credit some of that to defense, but Wartburg has played some pretty good defensive teams such as Pickett Co., Rockwood, Kennesaw Mt., and Cosby, and haven't had that many turnovers. Like someone said earlier, Wartburg had their chances, and they didn't get it done. They missed more free throws than normal, they missed more lay ups than normal, and Cloudland took care of the ball. I hate it for Wartburg. They catch an extremely bad break after going in and getting beat by the number one team in the state by 3, and the only reward for that is having to make a 4 hour bus ride to a gym the size of a classroom here at Wartburg. But, Cloudland came in and got the job done, and we didn't, and their going, and we're not. Enough Said.

The Highlanders flat out stink... they didn't do anything to win the game except let Wartburg screw themselves... we beat ourselves and cloudland had absolutely nothing to do with it. We have Junior Pro teams that could be cloudland's sucky high school team... I hope you enjoy the victory now, because when you step up with the big men you'll be lucky to lose by 50!

Mr. (Ms.?) Guppy,

Don't be so rough on your players. By stating that they walked and double-dribbled, you are making them sound like beginners that can't handle the basketball. This is not the case. Wartburg has some good players.

However, students of the game will tell you that good defense will force offensive players to do things like walk and double-dribble. When players cannot complete passes because their teamates are covered, they travel. When the defense is very aggresive and pressuring the ball, the offensive player compensates by pulling the ball in close and potentially catching it on his hip, travel or double-dribble.

Now, I do agree that mental toughness plays a large part in making this type of mistake also. Rattled players make beginner mistakes.

There were a significant number of turnovers in this game, from both teams. Both teams played aggresive defense, as witnessed by the number of fouls called. Again, don't belittle your own players by saying they handed the game to Cloudland. It is disrespectful to both teams, in my humble opinion.

The Highlander

I'm not being rough on our players. I am one of our biggest fans. However I am just pointing out the obvious. And yes, wartburg has great players. We just didnt play great last night. The walks and double dribbles comment was made to point out that when wartburg caused a turnover, they couldn't convert that into points by virtue of a bad pass, walk, etc. therefore, just handing the ball back to cloudland. And as far as good defense. Wartburg has seen better defensive teams this year, as Harvo pointed out. Wartburg had open looks all night. The shots just weren't falling. I do not in any way mean to be disrespectful to either team. Just simply pointing out the facts of what happened last night.

Thats interesting.

I've seen Wartburg play only one game and that was the Region 2-A final, but I really saw Wartburg walking all over the place.

It was ticky-tack traveling calls (shuffling of the feet, slighlty moving a pivot foot, moving feet before dribbling, etc) but could've been blown nonetheless.

Is that what happened to Wartburg last night?Since the officials were from elsewhere (Cosby had guys from the Cookeville area) it's likely that they were getting blown for things they've done all year without getting blown.

Thats interesting.

I've seen Wartburg play only one game and that was the Region 2-A final, but I really saw Wartburg walking all over the place.

It was ticky-tack traveling calls (shuffling of the feet, slighlty moving a pivot foot, moving feet before dribbling, etc) but could've been blown nonetheless.

Is that what happened to Wartburg last night?Since the officials were from elsewhere (Cosby had guys from the Cookeville area) it's likely that they were getting blown for things they've done all year without getting blown.

No, we were really walking. It was almost like we trying to hard to make something happen to quick. We would get a steal and then try to make the play maybe to quickly. Everything just seamed a little out of sink. But, hey thats the way the ball bounces sometimes. GREAT season though Wartburg!! Just keep workin and we'll be back next year. i really hate to see jeremy, jason, ray, and josh go. you guys have done great things for our program.

Oh yeah, good luck Cosby.....much respect

Thats interesting.

No two of the officials at the game was the same one's at the cosby game