Pitching Practice

blackbunny

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it varies per pitcher but how much pitching practice do you estimate high school starting pitchers put in each week? Is time allowed during practice or do most pitchers have to practice soley on their own?

During the high school season - I would assume most pitchers pitch at team practices. They should not throw batting practice unless competitive. In otherwords, they are trying to get batters out and not throwing meat for the benefit of the batter.

If they pitch three times a week at practice - then they should practice two more times during a week. A good rule of thumb is five days a week.

I'm sure it varies per pitcher but how much pitching practice do you estimate high school starting pitchers put in each week? Is time allowed during practice or do most pitchers have to practice soley on their own?

Was hard to understand what you were asking.....pitchers at my daughters high school pitch almost everyday, even the starters. I think that the day before they are going to pitch a game they should take that day off, but that usually does not happen. Since the pitchers during season pitch everyday it is hard to take practice time any other time to work on new pitches or pitches that are not working as well, so I would say they do not have time to "work solely on their own" That is why the off season is so important.......

I agree that most starting pitchers get enough practice during the week with the team to stay in shape--- but most of the best pitchers will take a private instruction lesson with a pitching coach to avoid bad habits and perfect their form. Most High School coaches are not trained in pitching enough to develop a great Rise, Screw or Curve. Club K or Private lessons are needed.

Since the pitchers during season pitch everyday it is hard to take practice time any other time to work on new pitches or pitches that are not working as well, so I would say they do not have time to "work solely on their own" That is why the off season is so important.......

It is VERY important for a pitcher to work one on one with her catcher , everyday at high school practice, WITHOUT batters so she can work on her pitches to get them working as she wants them for games. Without this practice, you will notice a decline in effectiveness over the course of the season. She needs time at practice to work on spins, control, new pitches, technique, ect.......

It is VERY important for a pitcher to work one on one with her catcher , everyday at high school practice, WITHOUT batters so she can work on her pitches to get them working as she wants them for games. Without this practice, you will notice a decline in effectiveness over the course of the season. She needs time at practice to work on spins, control, new pitches, technique, ect.......

You don't develop new pitches during the season. Most all good pitchers pitch year round...take lessons...and pitch at least every other day.

You don't develop new pitches during the season. Most all good pitchers pitch year round...take lessons...and pitch at least every other day.

Pitches are worked on year round!! Yes you take lessons that is a given, but you always work on new pitches. A pitcher has to work on developing them , getting them to work better!!

Pitching doesnt happen during the season. Dont plan on doing alot of heavy duty learning of new pitches during season. If a coach pitches you everyday during practice there is no way you will be able to go home and practice again that evening. You may be able to continue your lessons, but you will have to work on those pitches at practice. Pitchers work ALL year...........

Don't believe there is a secret formula for success. What works for one may not work for another. I know coaches have different views on this as well. I think it is up to each player to make sure she gets enough throwing time each week...whether that's at practice or somewhere else. If someone is throwing too much every day or week, she should talk to her coach.

Don't believe there is a secret formula for success. What works for one may not work for another. I know coaches have different views on this as well. I think it is up to each player to make sure she gets enough throwing time each week...whether that's at practice or somewhere else. If someone is throwing too much every day or week, she should talk to her coach.

1 They need to work out about 4-5 times a week.2 They don't need to throw batting practice it increases their odds of getting hurt,I would hate to lose my stud pitcher in bp.3They need to continue to work with their pitching instructor through out the season to fine tune pitches, if catcher is available send her too.4 The catcher and pitcher need to work together as often as possible.5 It is also good for a coach to understand how all of her pitches work and what pitch works best for her against batters.That is were most coaches lack knowledge of understanding what pitches work best for each pitcher.Every pitcher has pitches that work better than others.

Pitching doesnt happen during the season. Dont plan on doing alot of heavy duty learning of new pitches during season. If a coach pitches you everyday during practice there is no way you will be able to go home and practice again that evening. You may be able to continue your lessons, but you will have to work on those pitches at practice. Pitchers work ALL year...........

Ask Nikki Waters, she is the pitching goddess of Chattanooga, and this is not a mean comment. I am being 100% sincere