Overrated?

ozzie_johnson

Read it and it was a great post. But did YOU read the other posts discussing those two games? The ones that tried to put those scored into context to try to explain that we did act responsibly. I know this is a hot topic so I'm going to ask this. You feel very strongly about this and that is great. But what do you do the other 70 minutes of the game? You said not to run up the score-stop at something reasonable 5-6-right? Okay when its 5-0 with 70 minutes left-WHAT do you do with the rest of the time when its a district game not a fluff game? It can be easy to judge and make comments but can you tell me constructively what to do with the other 70 minutes of a game.

Play JV players. Honestly I cant believe you got five goals in less than ten mins, but i wasnt there so i wont doubt it. You can play JV players, you can play keep away. Our coach once told us we could only score off volleys and headers from services. I'm not saying you shouldn't or won't score for the rest of the game, just play with a little courtesy. I set the four goal limit as a stopping point for the varsity to quit trying to press for goals, not a place where you should stop playing. But seriously, a 17 goal differential, thats not playing with restrictions, thats not even slowing down. Thats attacking and trying to score even after the game is well in hand.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read it and it was a great post. But did YOU read the other posts discussing those two games? The ones that tried to put those scored into context to try to explain that we did act responsibly. I know this is a hot topic so I'm going to ask this. You feel very strongly about this and that is great. But what do you do the other 70 minutes of the game? You said not to run up the score-stop at something reasonable 5-6-right? Okay when its 5-0 with 70 minutes left-WHAT do you do with the rest of the time when its a district game not a fluff game? It can be easy to judgetand make comments but can you tell me constructively what to do with the other 70 minutes of a game.

[/quote/]

With some of the teams running up the score is not hard to do, but like was said earlier put your j.v. and get some of the younger guys some p.t.. Also you run the risk of really ticking a team off and they will no longer play the ball and will start looking to knock down players just to get something out of the game. Which runs the risk of injurying one or more of your players.

Dyersburg is fast and dangerous offensively, but defensively they are crap. Playing in a district with powerful offensive teams like Westview and Haywood could spell their doom.

Westview, you guys lost your whole team last year, please dont get on here talking about Dyersburg being overrated. If anything yall are overrated because yall dont have NEAR the talent you had last year. how do you figure our defense is crap? i hope you aren't going by the fall, because we were missing two D starters, and when we played yall last year we stopped yalls Offense. How many freshman and first year players are yall starting? 6? 7?

Alright, I've never been on even an average team before, therefore I have never lost huge. However, if a team was beating my team by double digits and still going at it. Well, lets just say I'll be leaving early.

On the other hand, I have been on the team killing teams, but we never kept at it. In high school the freshmen come out and if they continue to score restrictions are set upon them such as two touch (this is hard for freshmen that are use to simply faking people out) and having every player touching the ball without the other team taking it (very hard combination for the best of teams, much less young inexperienced players).

Lets also remember that Science Hill a year or two ago put up 26 on a team and didn't make it to state. So they probably should have practiced with the opportunity they had presented to them.

As a side note, teams do grow and get better. One day they might give you exactly what you guys game them. Also, remember that there are teams in this state that could do that to you guys.

Dyersburg is fast and dangerous offensively, but defensively they are crap. Playing in a district with powerful offensive teams like Westview and Haywood could spell their doom.

How's Gavin? It would be a shame if he's the reason you guys dont make it through districts.

Alright, I've never been on even an average team before, therefore I have never lost huge. However, if a team was beating my team by double digits and still going at it. Well, lets just say I'll be leaving early.

On the other hand, I have been on the team killing teams, but we never kept at it. In high school the freshmen come out and if they continue to score restrictions are set upon them such as two touch (this is hard for freshmen that are use to simply faking people out) and having every player touching the ball without the other team taking it (very hard combination for the best of teams, much less young inexperienced players).

Lets also remember that Science Hill a year or two ago put up 26 on a team and didn't make it to state. So they probably should have practiced with the opportunity they had presented to them.

As a side note, teams do grow and get better. One day they might give you exactly what you guys game them. Also, remember that there are teams in this state that could do that to you guys.

In the fall our travel team did get schooled 8-0 by cookeville (in back to back games where we tied Knoxville FC 2-2 right before). But we learned from it and were better for it. They were a great team and we were the better from playing them and learning from them. We took that and placed 3rd in the u-19 division at the State meet. You may or may not be able to do that to us anymore. But I know if we make it that far it will have been worth it

Westview, you guys lost your whole team last year, please dont get on here talking about Dyersburg being overrated. If anything yall are overrated because yall dont have NEAR the talent you had last year. how do you figure our defense is crap? i hope you aren't going by the fall, because we were missing two D starters, and when we played yall last year we stopped yalls Offense. How many freshman and first year players are yall starting? 6? 7?

I havent seen Westview play this year, but i know they are a young team. However, they still have all the potential to make it three years in a row to state. I read on some post they beat Zion or somebody 6-0. Sounds like they still have some talent left. Westview should beat Dyersburg if and when they play them, and it would be an interesting game to watch. Obviously this manu guy is a D'burg player. But after watching D'burg play some last year and jamboree this year, I dont think having their two "D starters" would have helped or will help their defense any.

I havent seen Westview play this year, but i know they are a young team. However, they still have all the potential to make it three years in a row to state. I read on some post they beat Zion or somebody 6-0. Sounds like they still have some talent left. Westview should beat Dyersburg if and when they play them, and it would be an interesting game to watch. Obviously this manu guy is a D'burg player. But after watching D'burg play some last year and jamboree this year, I dont think having their two "D starters" would have helped or will help their defense any.

Aight whatever bud, come and watch the game its at Dyersburg, Tuesday April 11. There is no point in talking about it on here, we will play them and then we can talk about it, but the point is that Westview has about 4 players from last year's team and the rest are freshman I believe. Of course they have some good talent, how much? I dont know...we will see when April 11 rolls around.

I'm getting sick of this quote. We ( varsity) played 10 minutes in that game. We scored 6 goals. The (JV) came in and played the rest. I dont wanna be mean or anything, but we keep every player. The players on our JV team mostly have never played anything in their lives. There isnt anything you can do when your JV forward, who can barely walk he is so uncoordinated, was dribbling through them and scoring? nothing..U cant do anything. So just shut up and stop lecturing us. And there isnt a team in the state of Tennessee that can beat us 17-0, so just get that quote off here. We play Crockett tommorrow and I think we will run up the score in that game just for you guys here on coacht.

Ozzie Johnson, what are you talking about? I mean how can you say that Dyersburg is overrated? Dyersburg is a solid team and, other than Sheffield, may be the best team in the west in AA. I would watch out who you are calling overrated..its not wise to call a team out who has all that talent, age, speed, and strength...Having 9 starting seniors DOES matter, they have all been playing and gaining experience for the past two years. Yeah, they haven't proved anything in the past except for winning the district last year...but Dyersburg has been relatively young these years and very rarely are you going to be really good with majority freshmen and sophomores and juniors on the field...and I know that 6 of those 9 seniors have signed with colleges to continue playing, and I think the other 3 are considering offers but haven't committed...my point is that the season hasn't even started. dyersburg and USJ were very even in the jamboree and dyersburg was missing 2 of their starters including their keeper, who WOULD have made that save at the end of the game.

Dyersburg is way overrated. The only good players on the team are Bradley Ward and Zach Barry. Westview i think is underrated. They made state the past two years. Although Westview lost 11 seniors they have some solid freshmen.