Willy Mays or Micky Mantle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Willy Mays in my Opinion was the 2nd best player in history. What do you all think

I probably will get a lot of flak about this next statement. I AM A NEW YORK YANKEE FAN and have been all my life..but you ahve to put players from each era in their own catagory because the game while still basically the same is so different now. It changes almost every year in some respect, the ball, rules, teams , players, coaches and cities.. anybody that put on the uniform is great in my eyes..what would anybody give to live that dream..GREATEST GAME ON EARTH!!!!!!!!

I probably will get a lot of flak about this next statement. I AM A NEW YORK YANKEE FAN and have been all my life..but you ahve to put players from each era in their own catagory because the game while still basically the same is so different now. It changes almost every year in some respect, the ball, rules, teams , players, coaches and cities.. anybody that put on the uniform is great in my eyes..what would anybody give to live that dream..GREATEST GAME ON EARTH!!!!!!!!

if you want to see the greatest game on the earth, you might want to come to Oliver Springs games. OS has this player named charles mitchell... he is godly..

Edited by hyunbass

if you want to see the greatest game on the earth, you might want to come to Oliver Springs games. OS has this player named charles mitchell... he is godly..

If you don't or can't understand the topic, then you probbaly should take a knife and just cut the power cord to your computer. If you are not the Mitchell kid himself, then why are you so infatuated with him..I guess he's fairly good but let him show it and everyone will know on their own.. If you have what it takes, then you DONT have to toot your own horn!!! Now lets get back to the topic..

Since the thread is Willie vs. Mickey and not some high school player (the godly statement is inappropriate) my thoughts are...over the course of their career Willie Mays would be the choice. Better numbers. Over the course of a few season when the Mick was healthy, my vote would be Mickey Mantel. A switch hitting, power hitting, gazel on numerous championship teams! If you enjoy reading, read the book The Mick. :lol:

Im a Yank and still think Mays was the 2nd best OVERALL baseball player 2nd to the Babe. The only thing the Mick has is rings and that is how you are judged on. BWANG I agree Teddy is the best hitter of all time but Mays was unreal. I argue this everyday with Borum. If the Babe started his career today, He would not have the numbers that he put up back then. Better players, better workout regiments, better training facilities, and better baseball growing up. ?? Thoughts

Agreed Striper24, but under the "what if" category (which is my favorite), Ruth probably could not start on the yankees now which the items you listed and Mantle would have been #1. Let's assume the knee injury would happen and take his speed, the work out regiments and better monitoring would have kept the Mick healthier. 538 career homeruns, I think, and he was hung over or drunk, if you believe the stories. IMO