Mercy Rule

frommy

If you can score 20 goals in a game, you should.

It not your job to stop you scoring that is the job of the other team.

since there is no mercy rule, your team shouldnt run up the score, some good coaches instruct a double digit rule, i know my coach does that. We can score 9 but not 10, but if they score one then we can score a tenth. You get your goals in the first half, and then try to play great soccer. If you have a good possesion and ball work down the field, try to score a great goal, not just some breakaway you could do any time you want. And thats just how some people break records, i can tell you that is how Courtney Dunlap did it at DCA. Her coach let her score 5 or 6 goals a game. Im telling you that if FRAs coach let Kristen Garman score that many she would have that record right now. So just have some class and play good soccer before you run the score up

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigG, Spring break is going way too good. Theres nothin better than waking up around 1pm. Yea, I think we've had enough rest and can't wait to start playing again next week. Am assuming ur trip to Florida is next week, I wish ur team the best.

ManU721, Am from a small country on the coast of West Africa call Liberia.

So are you Eddie Yah? if you are, I would love to see you go one on one with Fernando Costa. That would be an amazing battle...

Farragut lost to Science Hill...who was a pretty good team that year from my recollection, having played in that game. It wasnt like we were beat by Heritage (no offense to their soccer program, but it has been having to improve a lot over the last few years.) If you lust for your 26-0 games so much then why dont you just enter the special olympics and go for it. Or you could show some class and play the other team with encouragement and an understanding that you are superior so you act like the bigger man and take it as more of a pick-up game...they will have more fun losing 6/7-1/2 than 16-0. It isnt hurting anything with your hard work...that is shown in the Bearden/Farragut games, Oak Ridge/Bearden games....the state championship games...does beating up on weaker teams make you any better or worse?...or sell the team short of their hard work by not running up the score?

First off, I wasn't making a big deal of that win. In fact I only heard about it and didn't even see the game, cause I came and join the team last season. People have different views on how much goals a team should score on a weaker team, so take ur hatred somewhere else, and maybe u could need some class and punctuations in your posts. The farragut team that you played on last year beat a team 15-0, 7-0, among other high scoring games. The same Farragut during your Junior year beat teams with scores like 11-0 and 10-0, so maybe u should remember those things and shut your mouth. Once again this place is for discussions not attacking other people's post.

Now Go on and eat Dyersburg alive for their recent results. Mr. know-All.

Edited by Chizaggi

Guest Number8

So are you Eddie Yah? if you are, I would love to see you go one on one with Fernando Costa. That would be an amazing battle...

He is not gonna admit, But yea he is :thumb: .

I call these games stat padders. Usually this happens when teams/players can't score vs. quality competition and have to try and look good by crushing other teams. I don't think there should be a mercy rule, but soccer is a gentlemen's game, and you don't humiliate your opponent. Coaches and players should both realize what they're doing and have the class to stop. 26-0 or 1-0 it's a win. I HATTTTTE it when kids score like 5-6 goals on absolute garbage competition. Save it for a game that matters. I've played a lot of games and that's just what I believe. IF a team is not capable of being on the same pitch as you, don't humiliate them. Know your limits.

Farragut lost to Science Hill...who was a pretty good team that year from my recollection, having played in that game. It wasnt like we were beat by Heritage (no offense to their soccer program, but it has been having to improve a lot over the last few years.) If you lust for your 26-0 games so much then why dont you just enter the special olympics and go for it. Or you could show some class and play the other team with encouragement and an understanding that you are superior so you act like the bigger man and take it as more of a pick-up game...they will have more fun losing 6/7-1/2 than 16-0. It isnt hurting anything with your hard work...that is shown in the Bearden/Farragut games, Oak Ridge/Bearden games....the state championship games...does beating up on weaker teams make you any better or worse?...or sell the team short of their hard work by not running up the score?

um i had 4 goals last season, maybe you should try looking into a players background before you accuse them of something; therefore, i don't have to score to make myself feel "big", i do that by my play.

give them encouragement? why? i want to win; it is a competition sport, not "here have a goal for your hardwork, friend". and yes it helps to score in any possible condition, practice makes perfect, and the more you score the more confident you become and not over anxious in the games that count. in the semi-finals last year a freshman was in as forward and this ball came across on the ground to him and he ended up kicking it over the goal from the SIX. now, maybe if he had scored before in the same type situation he would have calmed down and just tapped it in, i'm not saying that he would've scored but there is more of a possibility that he would've and just maybe we could've pulled off a victory in overtime and went to the finals, there are alot of "would've" and "could've" but those are alot better then "didn't".

if one is superior you should show it, "survival of the fittest". i would be insulted if a player from another team came up to me in the middle of a game my team was losing and said "ya man keep trying you'll get it"

i like how teams reward themselves with their hard work by scoring goals, its not like personal statistics make a difference on anything, maybe for their grandparents or something.

the special olympics eh? where did that come from considering we are talking about soccer, and i never try to put down teams (maybe some players i don't like), i just try to make my team win by the most they can, even if my contribution barely helps, i think that is how all teams and players should play. i take pride in the fact that i put everything i have in every game i play, not slacking for weaker teams just because they aren't as good.

can you explain why a team or player should stop doing what they love to do just because they are better?

and i remember in regionals two years ago when i played with Oak Ridge and Farragut beat us what was it 8-1 or maybe 9-1 i don't remember all the goal scoring that went on, and then in state 5-0, well i didn't like getting beat that badly by you guys twice, it killed me, it just made me work harder, i wasn't mad because you guys beat us so badly i was mad at myself and the team for not playing to our potential. because that first game we had you guys for a while, the refs took away one of our goals (i thought it was a poor call),and one of your players kicked a ball from 50 yards out that bounced over our keepers head and resulted in a goal.

taking what chizaggi said, i guess you guys kill teams without thinking twice, and now you are telling other people not to do it.

i play pick-up games with just about the same intensity as any normal game, you know, practice the way you play. hope i answered your questions

ask anybody, i have trouble playing in games that are not very exciting i try, but i just can't get excited and i make stupid mistakes like a weak pass or something because i don't have to exert myself as much it makes me less anxious to play hard, i still try but i find that i have to force myself to make the runs and such, i know that makes me sound conceited and everything, but when the team i play for is just better in every aspect then another team the individual doen't matter that much.

so instead of trying to accuse people of stuff that your teams do, and tell them its wrong you should check yourself and the player you are talking to

p.s. chizaggi i believe he was talking to me, sorry about the mix up

I have been reading all the statements about this "mercy rule". As someone who has seen a lot of soccer in different states, I find this an unbelievable topic!! In other states, Texas is where I started in soccer- this would be a joke! A mercy rule? This is a prime example of the AYSO mentality. Don't get me wrong, it is great that 6, 7 and 8 yr olds get equal playing time and they have to "play nice", not keep score, can't score too many points, and all the other crap, but at the high-school level it is supposed to be "competative". There was no AYSO soccer in Texas where I began soccer. Thank God for that. I have coached teams from 6 to 15 yrs old. I have had at least 20 teams in that time frame. I have coached 2 teams at the same time and they were the same age- just at different levels. It would be the equivalent of your division 1 and division 2 teams here. (There it was gold and silver). I have beaten teams by 10 goals and have been beaten by 7 in a game. At NO time would I have changed anything that I wanted my team to try and accomplish. When I was getting beaten in the ground, the team that was destroying my team did not let up and that was perhaps to best game my team played that season. In the end one of my players, right now a great defender at Bearden High School, asked me, "coach do you think we could get better and beat that team in the future?" My answer was a simple "no". There a just simply teams that have better players, more of them and better coaching. In this case they had "better" of everything. Guess what???? That is life. That is how it should be in everything that you do.

Edited by pseudophobia

I'm not sure about actually implementing a rule, but a team winning by more than 5 or 6 goals proves nothing and needs to slow the game down. In my opinion, it is up to the coach to determine when to lessen the intensity of the game or work on other things, such as one touch passes and only scoring off crosses.

I'm a proponent of sportsmanship and playing hard. We are capable as players and coaches to play with respect against each other without a mercy rule. I think playing is more important than the score. It is how we conduct ourselves that matters.

I saw a game a couple years ago where a team was up 8-0 at the half. In the second half, the stronger team was told to clear the ball towards the weaker team's sweeper/goalie and just play defense to keep the scores down.

The first ball cleared landed between the weaker team's sweeper and goalie and they ran into each other as the ball rolled in the goal for a 50 yard goal. Now it is 9-0.

Then the ball was cleared to the weak team's sweeper who panic kicked it right into his stopper's back and it rebounded into their own goal. 10-0.

Then a cleared ball was sent to the weak team's sweeper. Our forward pressed him and he turned and passed back to his keeper quickly, but the keeper was taking a drink of water and had to leap to save it from an own goal...just missed it. 11-0.

The stronger team abandoned the clearing tactic to keep the scores down.

Guest Number8

I'm a proponent of sportsmanship and playing hard. We are capable as players and coaches to play with respect against each other without a mercy rule. I think playing is more important than the score. It is how we conduct ourselves that matters.

I saw a game a couple years ago where a team was up 8-0 at the half. In the second half, the stronger team was told to clear the ball towards the weaker team's sweeper/goalie and just play defense to keep the scores down.

The first ball cleared landed between the weaker team's sweeper and goalie and they ran into each other as the ball rolled in the goal for a 50 yard goal. Now it is 9-0.

Then the ball was cleared to the weak team's sweeper who panic kicked it right into his stopper's back and it rebounded into their own goal. 10-0.

Then a cleared ball was sent to the weak team's sweeper. Our forward pressed him and he turned and passed back to his keeper quickly, but the keeper was taking a drink of water and had to leap to save it from an own goal...just missed it. 11-0.

The stronger team abandoned the clearing tactic to keep the scores down.

Australia Beat American Samoa (31-0) in the world cup qualifivation and i can find u a lot more of this results. Now we are talking about a Whole country, not just a team. So what would u like to say to that coach. i don't think he stopped the pounding after the break. SOCCER IS A COMPETATIVE SPORT!!!

Australia Beat American Samoa (31-0) in the world cup qualifivation and i can find u a lot more of this results. Now we are talking about a Whole country, not just a team. So what would u like to say to that coach. i don't think he stopped the pounding after the break. SOCCER IS A COMPETATIVE SPORT!!!

It's still a sport though. It should involve a little sportsmanship.