Soccer Fans

BDP_FAN

I have a question to present to everyone but I believe in my heart there isn't an answer for it. Why are fans now cheering when a player for the opposing team gets hurt???? My son plays for White House and it's happened twice this year already. We played Gallatin and had a player go down due to a ankle injury. The fans for Gallatin were cheering that he got hurt and wanted their team to take out another one. We played Beech just a few nights later and we had someone get shaken up during some physical play and their fans were standing up cheering and taunting him because he got hurt. I'm from the time where when a player gets hurt, you get silent while offering up a quick prayer that they will be okay. When they did get up by themselves or with assistance, we cheered for them and wished them well. Like I stated earlier, there isn't a satisfactory answer for cheering because a player was hurt and I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.......

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have notice this mainly at the high school level an not on a more competive game or major tournament. a lot of high scool teams have kids playing for the first time an the parents an fans of those players really dont know how to act at a soccer match.they are just showing their ignorance.

I know that it happens more in HS than anything else. I dont think it is because the parents don't know better; it is more that they get so involved with their child's lives that they wish anything to happen to improve their lives. High School students cheer for injuries and rough play just because soccer isnt known as a physical, exciting sport to those who dont understand the game...lets face it, if you dont know what is going on or the strategy then it is boring to watch; same as any sport...High School students just like to heckle the other school. This is kinda weird to say, but i wish that Hooliganism got spread to the US soccer fans. The total devotion to a team and to its success no matter how good or how bad the team is, is just amazing to me. I saw the movie Green Street Hooligans and it was about soccer hooligans in the UK..the movie was amazing, and cant wait for it to get fans in the US because it is yet to show everywhere.

You can still be totally devoted to you team without having to cheer when someone gets hurt. I will have to admit that I think it is preety funny when I see someone get hit. but I dont cheer if I see that he's hurt.

For the most part I think they are cheering for the hard play not the injury.

I have a question to present to everyone but I believe in my heart there isn't an answer for it. Why are fans now cheering when a player for the opposing team gets hurt???? My son plays for White House and it's happened twice this year already. We played Gallatin and had a player go down due to a ankle injury. The fans for Gallatin were cheering that he got hurt and wanted their team to take out another one. We played Beech just a few nights later and we had someone get shaken up during some physical play and their fans were standing up cheering and taunting him because he got hurt. I'm from the time where when a player gets hurt, you get silent while offering up a quick prayer that they will be okay. When they did get up by themselves or with assistance, we cheered for them and wished them well. Like I stated earlier, there isn't a satisfactory answer for cheering because a player was hurt and I'm just wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.......

That really burns me up also-it is not tolerated from our parents or on our bench. you never want to see someone get hurt. I've never heard anyone cheer but I have heard sarcastic remarks-'Oh, he needs an academy award for that"..."that was just a dive"...that kind of mess. Now this is about bad sportsmanship. The worst I've ever seen was in travel ball at the state tournament where this one women from white house storm club was as bad as i've ever seen/ she was taunting players and never would shut -up. at least in high school the refs will warn people or the AD can ask people to leave if they get real bad. It shouldn't be tolerated by anybody-it is unexcuseable

For the most part I think they are cheering for the hard play not the injury.

Not sure in this situation, but I have seen definite cheering and celebration over injuring an opponect. Yellow cards become prized trophies. People in mass turn into animals in a rabid wolfpack at the site of drawing blood. The sideline becomes a thousand fire-red eyes of hatred with the sounds of the dark angel's wings flapping just above in glee.

Not sure in this situation, but I have seen definite cheering and celebration over injuring an opponect. Yellow cards become prized trophies. People in mass turn into animals in a rabid wolfpack at the site of drawing blood. The sideline becomes a thousand fire-red eyes of hatred with the sounds of the dark angel's wings flapping just above in glee.

This is why I am glad the bench is on the OTHER side of the field.

AD's and principals should be more assertive in telling people that they are inappropriate. It shouldn't be accepted. Coaches can also play a role in this as well. (maybe not during a game) But it could be addressed at a parent meeting or something.

If a coach is seeing it from his own fans, he needs to let someone (AD or school official) address it.

Many soccer fans are just ignorant. You throw in bad sportsmanship with ignorance and you have a pretty ugly situation.

[/quot

Unfortunately the refs also have alot to do with this situation. When they don't control a game it seems that the poor sportsmanship escalates into the blood lust from not only other players but the fans as well. I think it would help if there were 3 refs on the field at all times and maybe the AD's being required to be at the games to help control the fans. There are coaches out there that "reward" players for taking out the opponant. I think these coaches have no business on the field. As for parents being ignorant, I believe some parents are used to their sons playing football and like their sons can't differentiate between the sports. Soccer is an exciting physical game, and I agree it is sad that parents have to cheer when someone gets hurts..

Thats becuase your son goes to White House where soccer isnt a popular sport and no really cares about it, same with Gallatin and Beech...people there only believe in basketball and football so you just have to deal with it

I know that it happens more in HS than anything else. I dont think it is because the parents don't know better; it is more that they get so involved with their child's lives that they wish anything to happen to improve their lives. High School students cheer for injuries and rough play just because soccer isnt known as a physical, exciting sport to those who dont understand the game...lets face it, if you dont know what is going on or the strategy then it is boring to watch; same as any sport...High School students just like to heckle the other school. This is kinda weird to say, but i wish that Hooliganism got spread to the US soccer fans. The total devotion to a team and to its success no matter how good or how bad the team is, is just amazing to me. I saw the movie Green Street Hooligans and it was about soccer hooligans in the UK..the movie was amazing, and cant wait for it to get fans in the US because it is yet to show everywhere.

i agre, when did you see this movie, I have been looking all over for it