Shelbyville Super Regional and Sub-State

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not kidding. They don't have to be from Shelbyville or Murfreesboro to receive "home cooking". I agree, they are very fundamentally sound, but the free throw margin against other teams is completely unreasonable. In fact, what was the free throw margin of most of the teams they played in this tournament compared to those same teams against other teams in the tournament? They tied for 13th place because the games were called impartially at that level. I spoke with several fans this past weekend and the same comments always come up about that team. Again, I find it highly unlikely, at this level and age group the free throw margin would be 30 or more to 0. That's a perfect game! They never fouled, come on!!

'luvofthegame' you have to be kidding......all of the comments were referring to games played in either Shelbyville or Murfreesboro, which TN Express is from neither, so how do you call that "Home Cooking". I've also watch this team the past 2 years and I would call it well taught fundalmental basketball. Even 'ptguard12' pointed out that this team finished tied for 13th in Nationals last year......do you really think "Home Cooking" got them that far????

No, I'm not kidding. They don't have to be from Shelbyville or Murfreesboro to receive "home cooking". I agree, they are very fundamentally sound, but the free throw margin against other teams is completely unreasonable. In fact, what was the free throw margin of most of the teams they played in this tournament compared to those same teams against other teams in the tournament? They tied for 13th place because the games were called impartially at that level. I spoke with several fans this past weekend and the same comments always come up about that team. Again, I find it highly unlikely, at this level and age group the free throw margin would be 30 or more to 0. That's a perfect game! They never fouled, come on!!

So let me get this straight.....this is the 3rd straight year the Express has earned a bid to Nationals.....and it's all because all there games have been called impartially....for sub-state, state, super regionals, and nationals.....all impartially???? Do you know how many different sets of referees you are accusing of foul play????? That's a big pot to be home cooking in there 'luvofthegame'.

So let me get this straight.....this is the 3rd straight year the Express has earned a bid to Nationals.....and it's all because all there games have been called impartially....for sub-state, state, super regionals, and nationals.....all impartially???? Do you know how many different sets of referees you are accusing of foul play????? That's a big pot to be home cooking in there 'luvofthegame'.

my child plays for the tennessee express and I also keep a set of books for each game. In the charles davis game, our team had 9 team fouls. in our first game with shelbyville sports shop who could have received home cooking , but did not the tn express had 10 team fouls, In our 2nd game vs. memphis elite tn express had 7 team fouls. in our third game against the storm who we lost to we had 11 team fouls and in our 4th game against the southern statrz we had 5 team fouls in our ffifth game vs. louisville jauguars we had 7 team fouls and in the charles davis game # 6 we had 9 team fouls and in our last game against the storm who we lost to for a 2ns time we had 9 team fouls. there were no games where we did not have any fouls. Our starting 5 girls have been playing together for 4 years and try very hard not to foul, they have not been taught to play wild basketball, but have been taught to play controlled basketball and have been taught to play their positions very well to stay out of foul trouble. My daughter had 4 fouls in one of the games, so please stop undermining their success as a team by saying they receive special treatment. As far as the Charles Davis team goes we have beat them at least 3 times (twicce last year & once this year) I guess they can't get past that and want to blame some one for their loss instead of saying the express played a better game than they did and won. I have nothing personal against any team or coach, but when we lose games such as the 2 we lost to the storm we do not go and cry foul play we were cheated out of a win, the simple truth is we lost they had a beter game and won fair & square. The storm is a great team and has a great coach, I do not feel that any team last weekend in 11U received home cooking or special treatment. I think the teams that played well came out on top.

I am very dissapointed that adults would get on this site and attempt to undermine a childs basketball team in this way. There was alot of rough play in this the 11u division and yes the charles davis team in my opinion plays uncontrolled basketball which leads to fouls, but I as a parent would never personally attack someones team by saying the things that have been said on this site. I hope we can all be adults from now on. !!!!!!

THE tn express are a strong team, and i think it demeans them ,to say the only way they win is buy free throws. i think all teams get some bad calls ,that is part of the game. im sure they have had fouls called on them, just as the other teams have ,but to say the only way they win is by bad refs, i dont think thats really fair and its not giving them any respect as a team .they are 11 year old girls and i doubt very seriosly they or there parents or coach have the kind of power you are giving them credit to having(homecooking) all the way to nationals :huh:

TN Storm & Tennessee Express both won bid to Nationals.

ptguard12 - did you get to see any of this tournament and would like to hear your thoughts. How do you think 11U State will be now?

I have my thoughts on the 11U group but I'm going to wait on those for right now.

What I would like to address is the comments about "home cooking" and the foul count as involved with the Tennessee Express.

In terms of CDF and Tennessee Express, you have 2 very different teams. On a defensive standpoint, both teams press fullcourt, but once past half court you will see the Express settle back into a zone rather then playing man-to-man which I have seen CDF do. CDF is a very out-of-control type team anyways and, therefore, they are going to commit more fouls then the Express who settle back into a defensive zone.

On the offensive end, you see an Express team that really gets the ball inside. They do this because they have significant height over their opponents at those positions. They also penetrate very well with Williams at the point who also draws alot of fouls off of her penetration. A team like CDF is very guard oriented. A lot of their shots come from the perimeter, and therefore, they are less likely to draw a foul from out there instead of inside, which is where the Express draw most of their fouls.

Another aspect is that the Express are a very well coached team. I have nothing but great admiration for Mr. Flatt and the job that he has done not only with these young ladies, but for the countless that came before them. Many people do not realize that he began working with that group of girls long before they could even compete in AAU. They are very smart and have high basketball IQ's for their age mainly due inpart to him.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the Express. I don't even know the names of 3/4 of the girls on their team. However, I have seen them play in the past and I know what they are capable of. And like someone else said, you don't get "home cooking" at the Sub-State, State, and National levels, and they have proven to do very well at all 3 of those stages in the past years.

my child plays for the tennessee express and I also keep a set of books for each game. In the charles davis game, our team had 9 team fouls. in our first game with shelbyville sports shop who could have received home cooking , but did not the tn express had 10 team fouls, In our 2nd game vs. memphis elite tn express had 7 team fouls. in our third game against the storm who we lost to we had 11 team fouls and in our 4th game against the southern statrz we had 5 team fouls in our ffifth game vs. louisville jauguars we had 7 team fouls and in the charles davis game # 6 we had 9 team fouls and in our last game against the storm who we lost to for a 2ns time we had 9 team fouls. there were no games where we did not have any fouls. Our starting 5 girls have been playing together for 4 years and try very hard not to foul, they have not been taught to play wild basketball, but have been taught to play controlled basketball and have been taught to play their positions very well to stay out of foul trouble. My daughter had 4 fouls in one of the games, so please stop undermining their success as a team by saying they receive special treatment. As far as the Charles Davis team goes we have beat them at least 3 times (twicce last year & once this year) I guess they can't get past that and want to blame some one for their loss instead of saying the express played a better game than they did and won. I have nothing personal against any team or coach, but when we lose games such as the 2 we lost to the storm we do

not go and cry foul play we were cheated out of a win, the simple truth is we lost they had a beter game and won fair & square. The storm is a great team and has a great coach, I do not feel that any team last weekend in 11U received home cooking or special treatment. I think the teams that played well came out on top.

I am very dissapointed that adults would get on this site and attempt to undermine a childs basketball team in this way. There was alot of rough play in this the 11u division and yes the charles davis team in my opinion plays uncontrolled basketball which leads to fouls, but I as a parent would never personally attack someones team by saying the things that have been said on this site. I hope we can all be adults from now on. !!!!!!

could you please give me the scores when you guys played the storm

thanks

Is the Storm offensive strong inside, outside, both? What are their main strengths in your opinion? We hope to play them this weekend in the East Sub-State.

We were beat by the outside shooters. They made at least three 3- point shots in each game. # 10 is a good ball handler and The other 2 key players were # 33 who is a great reboinder & # 34 who shoots from outside , but # 33 can shoot from inside , but we did not allow that so she shot from outside. hope that helps. They were a well coached team also and that always helps. good luck to you !

I'm not familiar with the charles davis team, we've never played them, but some of you must really dislike them and their style of play. I acknowledged the TN Express are a very fundamentally sound basketball team, but looking at the number of times they make free throw attempts vs. opponents, it "appears" very unbalanced. As far as being adults, I agree some on this site should not label the children with unflattering labels and name calling. Aggressive play, not wild play, doesn't always lead to fouls, unless the officials just don't like that style of basketball. Again, the TN Express, the Storm, and several other teams in the tournament are very good teams, but, listening to several fans this past weekend, there was a general consensus that some of the officiating was not up to par. In fact, a couple of officials were admonished.

my child plays for the tennessee express and I also keep a set of books for each game. In the charles davis game, our team had 9 team fouls. in our first game with shelbyville sports shop who could have received home cooking , but did not the tn express had 10 team fouls, In our 2nd game vs. memphis elite tn express had 7 team fouls. in our third game against the storm who we lost to we had 11 team fouls and in our 4th game against the southern statrz we had 5 team fouls in our ffifth game vs. louisville jauguars we had 7 team fouls and in the charles davis game # 6 we had 9 team fouls and in our last game against the storm who we lost to for a 2ns time we had 9 team fouls. there were no games where we did not have any fouls. Our starting 5 girls have been playing together for 4 years and try very hard not to foul, they have not been taught to play wild basketball, but have been taught to play controlled basketball and have been taught to play their positions very well to stay out of foul trouble. My daughter had 4 fouls in one of the games, so please stop undermining their success as a team by saying they receive special treatment. As far as the Charles Davis team goes we have beat them at least 3 times (twicce last year & once this year) I guess they can't get past that and want to blame some one for their loss instead of saying the express played a better game than they did and won. I have nothing personal against any team or coach, but when we lose games such as the 2 we lost to the storm we do not go and cry foul play we were cheated out of a win, the simple truth is we lost they had a beter game and won fair & square. The storm is a great team and has a great coach, I do not feel that any team last weekend in 11U received home cooking or special treatment. I think the teams that played well came out on top.

I'm not familiar with the charles davis team, we've never played them, but some of you must really dislike them and their style of play. I acknowledged the TN Express are a very fundamentally sound basketball team, but looking at the number of times they make free throw attempts vs. opponents, it "appears" very unbalanced. As far as being adults, I agree some on this site should not label the children with unflattering labels and name calling. Aggressive play, not wild play, doesn't always lead to fouls, unless the officials just don't like that style of basketball. Again, the TN Express, the Storm, and several other teams in the tournament are very good teams, but, listening to several fans this past weekend, there was a general consensus that some of the officiating was not up to par. In fact, a couple of officials were admonished.

Can we please stop beating a dead horse and get off the Officials and the Express and move on to something useful.....like.....does anyone such as 'ptgaurd12' have scouting reports or predictions for this weekend's 11u Sub-State?