Are Coaches?

Many coaches in the Texas, Georgia, and Florida school systems make the six figure salaries. Some of those coaches do not even teach. Their job is to coach and do all of the other duties incorporated into it, most of which has already been named in this thread.

It is hard to measure a coaches worth. This argument could go on for a long time.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot that you said. I wasn't trying to say that every coach cared as much as others. I know for a fact that simply isn't true.

It is b/c of all the inflated pro salaries and college salaries that these ideas get in some of these HS coaches heads that they should be demanding such big bucks.

I think some teachers could argue that they spend as many hrs on grading papers and their extra non-paid duties as a coach does too. Plus lots of them are teaching full loads so some of the HC's can have extra planning time. This argument could go on and on and on....

I will say this about teachers that fuss about coaches getting too much pay or too many favors........let them take their classes out into a public forum and compete against other schools on tests. Let them prepare their students, let them train them for academic success, let them have a student get suspended the day of the big game, don't forget the uniforms their students are supposed to be wearing and the fundraising required to get them and LET THEIR JOB DEPEND ON THEIR WINNING. Too many losses and tenure doesn't mean squat.

Let's see how much they fuss then.

Many coaches in the Texas, Georgia, and Florida school systems make the six figure salaries. Some of those coaches do not even teach. Their job is to coach and do all of the other duties incorporated into it, most of which has already been named in this thread.

It is hard to measure a coaches worth. This argument could go on for a long time.

Texas has several that does and I think Valdosta, Ga coach does.

Edited by wingman10

I have been coaching for nine years, I am now a head coach and get an additional $4,600 for my coaching duties which include. June 5:30 workouts four days a week 3 hours a day. June youth camp 24 hours. Mowing every four days 30 hours. Meetings with coaches 10 hours. Total 110 hours in June. July Four day team camp 100 hours. Workouts/meetings 40 hours. Mowing 30 hours. Total 170 hours. August mowing 30 hours. Painting field 10 hours. Games, meetings, and practice 120 hours August total 160 hours September 160 hours. October 160 hours. November 80 hours. Jan.-April 100 hours. May- spring ball, mowing, and workouts. 80 hours.total 1200 hours which doesn't include paper work, parent meetings, banquet, fundraisers,professional development, and fuel. 1200 hours a year at time and a half. should be about 25 dollors an hour. 1200 times 25 = $30,000 33,500 teaching would be about $63,000 a year. Reality $38,000 a year. So, I make about $3.83 an hour for coaching. Some people might say thats more than I am worth, which might be true, but I don't think most coaches are pricing themselves out of bussiness.

I have been coaching for nine years, I am now a head coach and get an additional $4,600 for my coaching duties which include. June 5:30 workouts four days a week 3 hours a day. June youth camp 24 hours. Mowing every four days 30 hours. Meetings with coaches 10 hours. Total 110 hours in June. July Four day team camp 100 hours. Workouts/meetings 40 hours. Mowing 30 hours. Total 170 hours. August mowing 30 hours. Painting field 10 hours. Games, meetings, and practice 120 hours August total 160 hours September 160 hours. October 160 hours. November 80 hours. Jan.-April 100 hours. May- spring ball, mowing, and workouts. 80 hours.total 1200 hours which doesn't include paper work, parent meetings, banquet, fundraisers,professional development, and fuel. 1200 hours a year at time and a half. should be about 25 dollors an hour. 1200 times 25 = $30,000 33,500 teaching would be about $63,000 a year. Reality $38,000 a year. So, I make about $3.83 an hour for coaching. Some people might say thats more than I am worth, which might be true, but I don't think most coaches are pricing themselves out of bussiness.

Outstanding post! Great job with the numbers!

Good quote but you may be shorting to many hours. As an assistant I figured more than 1500 hours in the last year at $3000 in a coaching supplement plus 1260 hrs for teaching. If any of us were to work these hours in the private industry sector we would all make a heck of a lot more money.

Outstanding post! Great job with the numbers!

I could be wrong, but, in GA one of the reasons the head football coach gets paid such a high amount is because, at most schools, he's the AD as well.

Surely someone can get an "average" pay for teachers, head football coaches, assistant football coaches, etc., and then compare those with the "average" pay for the same in TN?

One thing is for sure, your not going to find many coaches that will say they are getting paid fairly for the time and energy they put in to their sport. Probably not a fair comparison is some sense, but, coaches are like those that choose the military life. The pay is terrible, but they are doing it because they feel the passion to serve.

Educators and those that choose to serve in the military, are 2 of the most important careers to our safety and advancement in world economy. Unfortunately, they are 2 of our lowest paid job opportunities. Our priorities are screwed up. We are paying million's of dollars for athletes to entertain us on Sunday afternoons, but we are paying teachers/coaches and our service people hourly pay that is well below the minimum wage.

You figure it out.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. I mean I have coached in TX and Georgia and sure there are some that make over 100K per year, but its not like they all do. First of all one reason the coaches make so much more in tx and ga is because the teachers make more, I mean you have to think if you have 20 yrs and a masters in Georgia your going to make 60K teaching and about the same in TX. Well if you make 25% or whatever as a coaching supplement your making 85K. I think coaches earn their money and for those in here saying TN coaches make too much money need to rethink it, TN has some of the lowest paid coaches in the Southeastern U.S.

Texas has several that does and I think Valdosta, Ga coach does.

If you want to look at what each school system pays go here:

http://www.teateachers.org/Research/systems.asp

If you want to see where your school system ranks by degree go here:

http://www.teateachers.org/informationcent...ed_salaries.htm

Our Master's degree MAXIMUMS top five are all between $55-56,000 the bottom end is 41,150.

In Georgia Masters degrees start at 40 (0 experience) and max in the mid 60's.

I have not been able to locate a source for coaching suplements. They vary, some schools base it on percentage and some base it on a set amount.

Good links riverrat.

I have freinds that are teachers(and my mother,who taught 37 years) and pay obviously comes up sometimes,now we know the facts of it.

Putnam County is low in pay comparable to their size(a fact the teachers here bring up nearly every year,and rightly so...)

So I just wonder what Coach Joslin might make?

THE SQUAD :thumb:

As a teacher/coach, salaries are definately important and they are low for the amount of work that goes into it. Part of the discrepancy between us and GA is the cost of living and we have no state income tax (thank goodness).

I was a part of the "corporate" world before getting into teaching and most companies base their salaries, in part, on cost of living. Somebody working for the same company in Memphis, doing the same job will make considerably more than the person doing that job in Cookeville, for example.

I want to see salaries increase just as much as the rest of you(believe me), but I thought I would play devil's advocate for a minute.

As a teacher/coach, salaries are definately important and they are low for the amount of work that goes into it. Part of the discrepancy between us and GA is the cost of living and we have no state income tax (thank goodness).

I was a part of the "corporate" world before getting into teaching and most companies base their salaries, in part, on cost of living. Somebody working for the same company in Memphis, doing the same job will make considerably more than the person doing that job in Cookeville, for example.

I want to see salaries increase just as much as the rest of you(believe me), but I thought I would play devil's advocate for a minute.

Devil's Advocate you are right about all of that.

THE SQUAD :justwrestle: