Proposed Sports Calendar Changes

bd4vols

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't those players be able to continue playing club, as always, except for the limit of 3 high school team players per club team?

The way I read what has been proposed, only three players from each school could participate in club volleyball, period. If the limit is 3 players from each school per club TEAM, this won't be SO bad. But I'm not inclined to believe that this is the case.

Let's say for example, 3 from Local High play for Spikers 17 Blue, 3 from Local High for Spikers 17 Black, 3 from Local High play for Spikers 16 Green, and to throw it into the mix, 3 from Local High play for Blockers 17 Red.

My questions are:

1. Is there a proposed strict limit for how many girls from Local High can play club volleyball, period, regardless of what program they play for?

2. Is there a proposed strict limit for how many girls from Local High can play for a particular club program?

3. Is the rule to be applied to teams within a club program, i.e. 17 Blue, 17 Black, etc., so that conceivably 6 girls of the same age from the same school can all play ball?

4. Is there a copy of said proposals available somewhere?

Depending on how things are worded and how much thought goes/went into the proposed changes, without seeing the proposal, any of the three situations I've asked about may apply.

Afterthought: How does TSSAA propose enforcing the limit on how many girls from a program play? How would they choose which player was guilty of exceeding the limit? And who are they to regulate what's done on personal time, short of enforcing bonafide, legitimate recruiting/eligibility rules?

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

The way I read what has been proposed, only three players from each school could participate in club volleyball, period. If the limit is 3 players from each school per club TEAM, this won't be SO bad. But I'm not inclined to believe that this is the case.

Let's say for example, 3 from Local High play for Spikers 17 Blue, 3 from Local High for Spikers 17 Black, 3 from Local High play for Spikers 16 Green, and to throw it into the mix, 3 from Local High play for Blockers 17 Red.

My questions are:

1. Is there a proposed strict limit for how many girls from Local High can play club volleyball, period, regardless of what program they play for?

2. Is there a proposed strict limit for how many girls from Local High can play for a particular club program?

3. Is the rule to be applied to teams within a club program, i.e. 17 Blue, 17 Black, etc., so that conceivably 6 girls of the same age from the same school can all play ball?

4. Is there a copy of said proposals available somewhere?

Depending on how things are worded and how much thought goes/went into the proposed changes, without seeing the proposal, any of the three situations I've asked about may apply.

My copy is at home but I will look for another one today. My understanding was only 3 members per team so that a coach could not keep their entire team together which would really be a continuation of the high school season, more or less. But, I'll re-read in order to be sure.

My understanding was only 3 members per team so that a coach could not keep their entire team together which would really be a continuation of the high school season, more or less.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Is keeping coaches/players seperate in the off-season a primary consideration in these proposed changes? While I'm not sure of the situation in other sports, I would find it interesting to see which high school coaches/assistant coaches also coach club programs within the relative age groups- i.e. HS coach/assistant working with club girls on the 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and some 18 squads (most 18 squads are composed of HS seniors, now past HS eligibility, though some stronger players are moved up to play on the 18s teams).

Off the top of my head:

Jay from Franklin (Impact)

Assistant from East Ridge (Dig To Win)

Lynne from Baylor (Dig To Win)

Tracey from BGA (Williamson Select)

I may be incorrect on these, so if anyone knows differently, please post.

I found another copy and it is the way the first post in this thread states:

"In each sport, only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team during the school year may be placed on the same high school team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster. This rule does not apply to seniors who have completed their high school eligibility in that sport. (example - if four students play on the same non-school volleyball team outside the season, then only three of them would be eligible for the same high school volleyball team the following volleyball season.)"

High school basketball coaches, both head and assistant, are not allowed to coach AAU until school is out in the summer (yet I and many others have seen head coaches sitting right behind AAU benches giving directions to players). I assumed it was the same in volleyball.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/sports...lines/18521.asp

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=12346&game_id=

The Tennesseean link offers the best insight.

Noteworthy:

-Volleyball is THE biggest loser here.

All sports except football would lose at least one regular-season game. Girls and boys soccer, golf, cross country and track would have one less regular-season game/match. Wrestling, basketball, baseball and softball would lose two games. Volleyball would lose 10 matches.

I think it's worth noting that volleyball has the shortest season among these sports. Volleyball also loses a very significant portion of its current match limit: 18%. Two games coming off the basketball schedule is relatively insignificant.

Proof again that TSSAA hates volleyball.

-Changes would not go into effect until the 2007-08 school year. Proposal will not be voted on until March 2007.

"In each sport, only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team during the school year may be placed on the same high school team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster. This rule does not apply to seniors who have completed their high school eligibility in that sport. (example - if four students play on the same non-school volleyball team outside the season, then only three of them would be eligible for the same high school volleyball team the following volleyball season.)"

High school basketball coaches, both head and assistant, are not allowed to coach AAU until school is out in the summer (yet I and many others have seen head coaches sitting right behind AAU benches giving directions to players). I assumed it was the same in volleyball.

Depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. It's too vague, in my opinion, as today it may be three players per club team, and tomorrow it may be three players per high school.

Volleyball is the only sport, aside from soccer, where the head coach may be non-faculty. Two of the more well-known and most successful high school coaches in the mid-state, Jay Golsteyn from Franklin (Impact) and Tracey Berry from BGA (Williamson Select), are the directors of the two most prominent club teams in Middle Tennessee.

What is the definition of non-school volleyball team here? Would Spikers 17 Blue and Spikers 17 Black be considered two teams? Would playing for the Spikers club program be considered one 'team'? I'd like to see a lot more clarity from TSSAA on this matter.

As you mention Coach, high school coaches are not supposed to coach their own hs players during club season. All coaches I have known thru hs and club are very careful to follow this rule. I have never, never, ever seen a hs coach sitting behind the bench giving instruction to their hs players during a club match! It just doesn't happen - the respect for the club coach is paramount and hs coaches do not interfere, ever.

Like CU, I have been involved in Club volleyball for many years and have NEVER seen a HS coach sit behind a bench and coach his/her players. In fact, I rarely see a HS coach who isn't coaching a club team at a tournament. Most encourage their players to play club -- ENCOURAGE, NOT COMMAND -- as it develops the player in a way that HS play cannot...the season is too short. Club practices are 2 or 3 days a week from December until April, 2 hours long, working on skills with matches played on the weekends. HS teams get a couple of hours every afternoon but once the season starts, many of those afternoon are spent traveling to matches.

My youngest daughter will start HS in fall and I have seen a tremendous improvement over this past club season that will only help our sport in the long haul. She was on one team, 3 of her middle school teammates were on a different team. All 4 have shown improvement. We are not building "robo-players" here, these 4 girls only play volleyball and have no interest in other sports.

What good does it do for a kid to "sit out" from November until August and not practice their sport? Would you expect a child to only practice a musical instrument for 3 months a year?

Let's go back to the idea of regulating the offenders and not throw everyone into the same pot.

Noteworthy:

I think it's worth noting that volleyball has the shortest season among these sports. Volleyball also loses a very significant portion of its current match limit: 18%. Two games coming off the basketball schedule is relatively insignificant.

-Changes would not go into effect until the 2007-08 school year. Proposal will not be voted on until March 2007.

I have been following this thread from the beginning and keeping my mouth shut but please tell me I misunderstand one thing. In reading the Tennesseean article, regarding the "50%" rule, it says something about "during the school year". So, does that mean, Summer softball teams can have as many HS players on their team as they want? If so, that's only one more example of how certain sports are penalized while others are not (I know it apllies for Fall softball). Vball, for example, just becasue the club season is "during" the school year!!

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/sports...lines/18521.asp

http://preps.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=12346&game_id=

Noteworthy:

The changes in the number of matches will go into effect this coming season. We received a memo from the TSSAA office, dated Feb. 2, 2006, regarding the Volleball Changes effective with the 2006-2007 School year.

It reads this way:

A survey of TSSAA volleyball coaches was taken during the August volleyball rules and mechanics meetings. As a result of the survey, the TSSAA Board of Control has voted to leave as it is, with schools having the option of playing 2-out -of-3 in regular season and the game fee being the same for officials regardless of 2-out-of-3 or 3-out-of-5. All invitational tournaments may be 2-out-of-3; however, all postseason TSSAA play will be 3-out-of-5.

The TSSAA Legislative Council, in its ongoing study of the sports calendar, has adjusted the maximum number of volleyball matches per season to 35 and maximum number of tournaments to four, with each tournament counting as three matches.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• I just saw on 5 Star Preps that Chaston Smith is transferring to Chattanooga McCallie. McCallie and Baylor are loading up. Baylor got UT commit Joakim Dodson and Former Alcoa player Kolby Barrett. They also got a bunch of other transfers.
    • Does anyone know of another spring scrimmage or are we done?
    • The lamentable departure of the esteemed coach, orchestrated by certain board members whose intellectual acumen leaves much to be desired, is a matter of grave concern. It is worth noting that these individuals, paradoxically invested in overseeing the educational welfare of others while opting for homeschooling for their own progeny, have effectively precipitated this regrettable outcome. One can only surmise that the repercussions of their actions will reverberate for an extended period, casting a pall over their respective tenures. Such consequences are indeed a cross they shall bear.
    • In my humble assertion, I find it imperative to clarify that my personage was not among those counted. Regrettably, the departure of Coach Blake Satterfield did not augur well for the program's trajectory. It is with a tempered sense of admiration that I regard the individual of fortitude who dares to embrace this challenging mantle, for they shall undoubtedly encounter formidable obstacles in their quest to satisfy the less discerning denizens of Hartsville. May the fates smile upon Blake Satterfield in his forthcoming endeavors.
    • Do you reckon this action demonstrates sound judgment? Whom do you propose as the most fitting candidate to assume the esteemed position of assistant principal at the middle school?