Proposed Sports Calendar Changes

bd4vols

So what can we do...just voice our concern to our HS coach, and the AD/Principal? I guess the coaches who have club players will obviously be against the rule, but they may be outnumbered by those coaches who are getting clobbered by HS teams filled with club players.

This is a false issue situation. Any and all pro's and con's, reasons or excuses that TSSAA could come up with are moot. It's of no consequense what coaches, AD's or TSSAA wants. They CAN NOT legislate what people do in their spare time away from their kingdom. Period. Punishing kids for playing non-TSSAA sports on their own time with their friends is just as ridiculous as punishing kids for working at the Gap instead of Old Navy, punishing them for eating at Ryans instead of Red Lobster.

Stand for what you believe and stand up to them.

It is likely that TSSAA is considering this to extend their control and power footprint. Remember, TSSAA only exists if they get to enforce rules on people. Isn't that the pattern and character of their decisions over the years? What they understand are control, money and "face". I'd rec that someone have a buddy who is a civil rights attourney send a notice to TSSAA that if they go forward in infringing on kids' civil rights that they will lose control, money and face in a nationally high profile class action lawsuit.

They won't listen, then you sue them. This is a drop kick of a simple case to win, you can probably find a firm to take it for the national exposure and positive PR.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't listen, then you sue them. This is a drop kick of a simple case to win, you can probably find a firm to take it for the national exposure and positive PR.

This would be interesting court case as far as setting precedent.

The 50% rule is currently in force in Indiana and Alabama. I think there may be a third state but I'm not sure. If the TSSAA could be challenged on this I'm sure those states would be VERY interested in the outcome. Alabama schools/clubs/players/parents are very much up in arms and have been trying -- FOR YEARS -- to get some relief on this issue to no avail.

Edited by play4keeps

I have SIX girls from my freshmen team that play on the same club team. Two of them are playing on the Varsity team and the rest are on the JV team. I know this is just a rule for Varsity, but they will be there soon enough. So, my question about this is how is this going to be monitored? Are high school coaches supposed to go to the clubs and monitor who makes what team? I have spoken with club directors in my area, and asked them what they think about it...basically it will not affect them, so they don't care. If there are only three allowed to be on a team, but there are 4 or 5 that DESERVE to be on the same team, then what? They just get put on a worse team? I just feel that if a Coach is not involved in any of the clubs in the area, and there are more than 3 girls chosen to be on a team, then what is a high school coach supposed to do about that? We will be the ones to get punished when we have nothing to do with any of it.

As many people have said, this is infringing on players' rights, and in my opinion, assuming that coaches have more power than they do. The parents are paying for this, and want their money's worth. I know the parents in my area are asking constantly about this new rule, and I don't know what to tell them.

This is CRAZY!!! Isn't there ANYTHING we can do as coaches? As for me, I can't go to my AD becuase he isn't going to do anything to help out the volleyball team, it just isn't that important...especially during football season.

I have SIX girls from my freshmen team that play on the same club team. Two of them are playing on the Varsity team and the rest are on the JV team. I know this is just a rule for Varsity, but they will be there soon enough. So, my question about this is how is this going to be monitored? Are high school coaches supposed to go to the clubs and monitor who makes what team? I have spoken with club directors in my area, and asked them what they think about it...basically it will not affect them, so they don't care. If there are only three allowed to be on a team, but there are 4 or 5 that DESERVE to be on the same team, then what? They just get put on a worse team? I just feel that if a Coach is not involved in any of the clubs in the area, and there are more than 3 girls chosen to be on a team, then what is a high school coach supposed to do about that? We will be the ones to get punished when we have nothing to do with any of it.

As many people have said, this is infringing on players' rights, and in my opinion, assuming that coaches have more power than they do. The parents are paying for this, and want their money's worth. I know the parents in my area are asking constantly about this new rule, and I don't know what to tell them.

This is CRAZY!!! Isn't there ANYTHING we can do as coaches? As for me, I can't go to my AD becuase he isn't going to do anything to help out the volleyball team, it just isn't that important...especially during football season.

Memphis Coach, good to have you on this site. Not only are you needed but your cohorts in West Tennessee are needed also. There has been no way to get the western part of the state involved it was thought. This site is monitored by a number of people. Those in West Tennessee need to express your thoughts.

Edited by PHargis

This would be interesting court case as far as setting precedent.

The 50% rule is currently in force in Indiana and Alabama. I think there may be a third state but I'm not sure. If the TSSAA could be challenged on this I'm sure those states would be VERY interested in the outcome. Alabama schools/clubs/players/parents are very much up in arms and have been trying -- FOR YEARS -- to get some relief on this issue to no avail.

Just to get it from the horse's mouth, I talked with Gene Menees at the TSSAA today. He confirmed my interpretation of the proposal. If passed, this would go into effect with the 2007-2008 year. If all 6 juniors (they are sophs now) play club in Spring 2008, 3 would have to play for 17-1, and 3 would have to play for 17-2, in order for all 6 of them to be able to play for Maryville H.S the next Fall (their Senior year).

You're right, I don't think this would ever fly in a court of law....but here's what we can do now. TSSAA Administrative meetings are being held the next 2 weeks across the state. Contact your AD/Principal and let them know how you feel on the issue. Menees confirmed there is a good chance the proposal could be tweaked or even dropped before it ever goes to a vote of the TSSAA Legislative Council (9 members) in March 07.

Let's get the word out before it gets too far along.

P.S. Some great volleyball action took place tonight in Anderon Co. The Lady Mavs stopped Maryville in 5 games (the Lady Rebs turned the same trick on AC back in late August). Outstanding performances were turned in by Ashley Pittman (AC OH) and Sarah Roberts (MHS MB). Best luck to both teams in their quest for the state tournament. Hang in there MHS sophs...your time is coming! Let the TSSAA try and stop us.

Just to get it from the horse's mouth, I talked with Gene Menees at the TSSAA today. He confirmed my interpretation of the proposal. If passed, this would go into effect with the 2007-2008 year. If all 6 juniors (they are sophs now) play club in Spring 2008, 3 would have to play for 17-1, and 3 would have to play for 17-2, in order for all 6 of them to be able to play for Maryville H.S the next Fall (their Senior year).

You're right, I don't think this would ever fly in a court of law....but here's what we can do now. TSSAA Administrative meetings are being held the next 2 weeks across the state. Contact your AD/Principal and let them know how you feel on the issue. Menees confirmed there is a good chance the proposal could be tweaked or even dropped before it ever goes to a vote of the TSSAA Legislative Council (9 members) in March 07.

Let's get the word out before it gets too far along.

P.S. Some great volleyball action took place tonight in Anderon Co. The Lady Mavs stopped Maryville in 5 games (the Lady Rebs turned the same trick on AC back in late August). Outstanding performances were turned in by Ashley Pittman (AC OH) and Sarah Roberts (MHS MB). Best luck to both teams in their quest for the state tournament. Hang in there MHS sophs...your time is coming! Let the TSSAA try and stop us.

Years ago, my political science professor quoted to us in class a bumper sticker he saw on a car: "If you don't vote, don't whine (substituted for a far stronger word inappropriate for this forum)." You get the point without the actual word being in place.

If you really want to make your voice heard, now is the time to do it. With Menees himself saying the proposal could be dropped or tweaked before it comes to a vote, this is when you/we should speak up and make opinions known.

Perhaps individual parents/coaches could call Mr. Menees and share their opinions and their logical basis for the way they feel.

TSSAA won't listen to a bunch of bellyaching. But I bet they'll consider an opinion that has a basis to it. They don't understand or get volleyball. We have to make them aware that volleyball is different from basketball and baseball and football. And WHY!

Announcements