50% rule

play4keeps

You might want to check out the current thread on the volleyball board. Apparently TSSAA is considering instituting the 50% rule for our school teams...this means no more than 3 players from a single HS team can play on an off-season team. This applies to AAU, JO volleyball, club soccer, etc.

Sort of puts a damper on those schools who have their girls (and boys) teams play under the guise of AAU in order to get around the off-season practice rules.

Alabama and Indiana both have this rule. My feelings are mixed.

Edited by play4keeps

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is currently coaching my daughter's 14U "AAU" basketball team. On this team 8 out of 9 players are on the HS JV team. Their lives are not being destroyed by basketball. They all got together and begged my wife to coach them because they are ALL best friends, they ALL enjoy playing together, and didn't want to stop playing and learning. Nobody forces them, nobody from the HS even suggested to any of these girls that they should play, they just love basketball and want to get better before next school season.

I fail to see the harm in this situation, whether it be basketball, volleyball, soccer, or whatever. Of course I realize that there are also cases where coaches could make it an "off-season" season, but you would be punishing far more innocent players than regulating unscrupulous coaches.

Am I wrong here, or is it just me?

I think that the intent of this rule is to keep unscrupulous coaches in their place rather than protecting the players. It's a shame that we have to keep putting so many rules into effect because those coaches are constantly looking for the edge.

If players want to play, I see no reason why they shouldn't, but coaches shouldn't be allowed to "force" their players to play on off-season teams just so they can stay ahead of the competition. JMO.

You probably hit the nail on the head. Everyone who wants to play should be able to. But no one should be forced too, and some coaches do almost demand their players play AAU basketball. With these coaches, if you do not play summer ball, it will be held against you come fall.

Let's dont forget it is supposed to be about the kids. Some want to play ball all summer, and some want to fish, swim, ski, or just hang out. One choice or the other does not make a kid a good or bad kid; and their choice should not be held against them. They only have one childhood, let them live it. :D

3) Fifty percent rule - Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team (club) outside the school season by students that will play the following season on the same high school team is limited to 50 percent of the number of players required to play the game (ie, three in volleyball, five in baseball or softball, 3 in basketball, six in soccer and football) In each sport, only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team during the school year may be placed on the same high school team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster. This rule does not apply to seniors who have completed their high school eligibility in that sport. (example - if four students play on the same non-school volleyball team outside the season, then only three of them would be eligible for the same high school volleyball team the following volleyball season.)

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, since my daughter is one of the many who this will effect, but what right does the TSSAA have to instruct what parents do and don't do with their own children during the off season? My daughter plays on a summer team with seven of her high school team mates Sounds strange, but they have been playing together since they were in the fourth or fifth grade. We live in a small town that can not field a summer travel team without being mostly girls from the same HS team, because there is only one HS. The TSSAA is saying that only towns that have at least three HS will be able to have a travel team and that would limit the travel team to just 9 players. Or else, players will have to join teams in other towns putting a VERY BIG time and money strain on families to get to practice and games. TSSAA needs to limit their involvement to qualifications concerning grades, attendance, residence, and limit number of HS Varsity games and date for practices. I have looked at my children's birth certificate and also at my loans, deeds and pay stubs and I see TSSAA NO WHERE on any of these. Next thing you know they will be limiting the number of family vacations TN student/athletes can take. You would think that the lost court case over private schools would have taught them a lesson about sticking to what they can control and leaving the rest to the parents.

Edited by MCHSBballfan

• 2 weeks later...

3) Fifty percent rule - Participation (includes practice) during the school year on a non-school team (club) outside the school season by students that will play the following season on the same high school team is limited to 50 percent of the number of players required to play the game (ie, three in volleyball, five in baseball or softball, 3 in basketball, six in soccer and football) In each sport, only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team during the school year may be placed on the same high school team roster the following season. Those students cannot be interchanged on the school team roster. This rule does not apply to seniors who have completed their high school eligibility in that sport. (example - if four students play on the same non-school volleyball team outside the season, then only three of them would be eligible for the same high school volleyball team the following volleyball season.)

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, since my daughter is one of the many who this will effect, but what right does the TSSAA have to instruct what parents do and don't do with their own children during the off season? My daughter plays on a summer team with seven of her high school team mates Sounds strange, but they have been playing together since they were in the fourth or fifth grade. We live in a small town that can not field a summer travel team without being mostly girls from the same HS team, because there is only one HS. The TSSAA is saying that only towns that have at least three HS will be able to have a travel team and that would limit the travel team to just 9 players. Or else, players will have to join teams in other towns putting a VERY BIG time and money strain on families to get to practice and games. TSSAA needs to limit their involvement to qualifications concerning grades, attendance, residence, and limit number of HS Varsity games and date for practices. I have looked at my children's birth certificate and also at my loans, deeds and pay stubs and I see TSSAA NO WHERE on any of these. Next thing you know they will be limiting the number of family vacations TN student/athletes can take. You would think that the lost court case over private schools would have taught them a lesson about sticking to what they can control and leaving the rest to the parents.

You state that the TSSAA is too involved! This rule like others is only as good as those who follow its intentions. Your HS coaching staff is not suppose to coach those AAU players that they would also coach in school the next year. Is your assistant violating this rule and if so why should any other rule, that will not be followed matter? I believe you may understand what I'm asking!

This is probably an example of where coaches and schools may be to involved with what their school team members are doing in the off season, so maybe if the rules in place were followed and not violated maybe other rules would not have to be added to keep some programs under control. I guess you would have to look at your situation and ask are we following the rules NOW?

I looked at my children's birth certificate and also at my loans, deeds and pay stubs and I see TSSAA NO WHERE on any of these. Next thing you know they will be limiting the number of family vacations TN student/athletes can take.

I bet you didn't see the high school coach's name on there, either, but they tell your child where to be, when to be there, and who to play for every summer, apparently. If any of those kids need to work, or just want to do something else besides play basketball in the summer, can they?

There is a rule in place that says ; A HS coach can't coach their players in the period from the end of the sport season (state tourney) 'til the end of the school term. That covers, in Basketball, the AAU sub-state and anything tourneys before..

There are other states that allow year round -coach/team -envolvement.

There are scholarships out there in all sports for ladies since the title "whatever" in the 70s.

Let's level the field for Tennessee girls to compete for those Scholarships.

I think you are missing the point. The TSSAA isn't trying to make it harder on the parents or the kids. I think that the intent is to go after the coaches that "require" their players to play together on summer ball. Like it or not, if most of the HS team plays on the same team year round, it gives them a definite advantage. May as well allow full practice sessions in the off season. Since that isn't going to happen, this is TSSAA's attempt to control those unscrupulous coaches.

There must be a lot of this going on. if there is, why has it not shown up with major complaints before now and why now are only a few trying to correct, which I think is a minority few, every one in the state. These teams that are doing this, according to the pundits, must be teams at the top of their divisions for it to make that much difference and if coaches can't coach their own players for most of the summer, how can this even be a problem. This ruling to be made is much to be done about nothing. Those who are objecting are finding something that is not there. If it is there, name names. leave the kids alone in the summer and let them work it out. If there is a coach who requires it, it very likely in a minor sport. name names. You might find out you are wrong.

One thing that is obvious to me, Teams that are playing all summer together do not necessarily get better. if anything they do not improve at all. Playing against the same people all time if practicing promotes enough familiarity that it takes the fun out of the game and eventually could be a reason for burn out. If there are some doing it, let them burn out but keep the rule that the coach or asst can't coach. If there are some flagrant situations, name names. i can think of two now and if someone starts the ball rolling, i'll give you my names. Some of these have been posted on this web site.

I am thinking that all us parents need to hire a lawyer to take court action against the TSSAA if this goes in effect. I don't think that no one should be able to tell me where I can take my child to play b-ball and how many of her friends that can or can't play!! We need to start to take Action against this group.

Okay where do we stop anyone can dislike any rule, and almost all rules involving eligibility involve telling us what we can and can't do. Should we all get lawyers and take them to court. Sometimes rules do serve a purpose, sometimes they do create problems for the majority but almost always a minority is bettered because of the rule. In this case there ARE coaches that require their players to play for who and where they want them to even in the Off-season.

There are coaches who are coaching players right now in AAU who also will coach them in school ball. This is illegal but some don't care, and if this rule is implemented there will be those that violate it to. But maybe it will stop a few more coaches from forcing the issue.

Okay where do we stop anyone can dislike any rule, and almost all rules involving eligibility involve telling us what we can and can't do. Should we all get lawyers and take them to court. Sometimes rules do serve a purpose, sometimes they do create problems for the majority but almost always a minority is bettered because of the rule. In this case there ARE coaches that require their players to play for who and where they want them to even in the Off-season.

There are coaches who are coaching players right now in AAU who also will coach them in school ball. This is illegal but some don't care, and if this rule is implemented there will be those that violate it to. But maybe it will stop a few more coaches from forcing the issue.

it seems to me you might either be a coach that has a broken program or a parent that can't find a team for your daughter to play on. I do not disapprove of an assistant coach coaching AAU ball. AAU ball is not part of and it will never be a part of TSSAA. My child has been playing AAU ball for a long time and yes, with the same group of kids. most go to the same school and I do not see anything wrong with that. The coach volunteers his/her's time and doesn't get paid for it. There is no rule that states an assistant coach can't coach AAU ball. What it does say is that they can't coach girls that go to his or her High School that they coach at! I see assistant coaches all the time coaching children under the High School age and do not see anything wrong with it. besides, this is my time with my daughter and who is going to tell me that I can't have her play on the same team as her friends? NO ONE!!!