Lamon Williams from Dobyns Bennett

SS55

Lamon was a great natural athlete at wideout. One of the best I got a chance to see. Big and strong and could run with the best. All state as a sophmore and you have to wonder where did he go. If any of the DB boys know or just anyone overall, please respond. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty positive he signed with TSU. However, I don't know that he ever actually went or not because he was in Kingsport and ran into trouble. He was probably the best wide receiver from upper NE Tennessee that I could remember. He was a sophomore All American with Patrick Turner (now playing for USC) and had most every college in the country writing him. He had a couple of times he got into trouble and was hurt some as a junior and this hampered his recruiting. There was a time when it was not for sure that he would play as Senior. I think Lamon would have played pro, unfortunately Lamon had an extremly rough childhood. Some people (especially from other schools) did not like Lamon and thought he had a bad attitude or that Clark gave him a second chance because he was so good and that was not true at all. If anyone knew Lamon's situation you would know that football was almost all he had and his chance to do something for himself. Lamon needed the team more then they needed him. Unfortunatly, his early influences got the better of him and his football days are over. I have seen this same topic go sour before so I will say this, there is no need for anyone to try and make snide remarks about this guy, he was a good kid at heart, but had a very bad upbringing. Talk about his talent, don't bash a man when he is down.

Edited by bud

Lamon is still a good guy I loved playing with him for the four years that I did. oh and I heard that there is a possibility that Lamon will be going with Jamar hardee another great football player to a smaller college in North Carolina can't think of the name right off hand.

WHO DAT!?!

I hope Lamon gets his life straight. I played against or have seen in person about 6 high school receivers who ended up in the NFL and he was better than at least 4 of them at the same period of their careers.

I hope Lamon sees this...man you have a wonderful chance at succeeding in life and don't let that easy street corner money ruin your life! Go to school, get an education, live on beenie weenies, whatever it takes and leave the hustling behind. God gave you the natural talent to use as a tool to reach your dreams so use it, let football take you there!

Roll Tribe

Well said BigLon. I played at DB 98-00 and knew some of the younger boys well enough that they would listen to me. I remember having at least a couple long conversations with him when I'd come back to visit about what he could do if he really wanted it bad enough. Simply put, Lamon has made some bad choices. I'll be the first to say that I have, and we all have. I can't, and won't, judge him on those choices simply because I've never been in the situations he has been in.

As a coach at a -what some call- "inner city" school, and having the opportunity to really get to know many kids from situations, and with ability, similar to his, you come to realize real quick that if you can just, in any way, make them realize that the gifts they have been given and the amount of people there to help them can translate into something far greater than anything they could imagine, then you're well on your way to doing exactly what you were put here to do. When they make mistakes such as his and people in the town know about it, they sometimes think everyone around them is just going to give up on them. I think some kids' situations are one of those things that is hard to fully comprehend unless you have really been in it. Whether they be in football or not, he, and any kid, still has the opportunity to make a ton of good decisions too, so let the critics be critics and keep hoping. Never give up on them because we know they can do amazing things.

I could tell some stories that still bother me, and make me wonder what might have been, of several former childhood role models, close friends, and teammates at DB who had everything they needed on the field to go BIG places in life and have almost thrown it all away for all different reasons. The next thing I would do is tell you about some close friends to this day, guys like Teddy,"Craig Yeast" Henry, and Gerald who have had the opportunity to do what we all dream about when we're young.

Sorry for such a long post.

Edited by DBHS1