10u RANKINGS

I have one question? What are we paying for then---all of these tournaments and State money and substate money etc. If all of this conversation about AAU is for the development of young players, then why do we need to pay? NO, because it isn't and never has been and never will be. Unless, you take way score boards and fees it will always be about being the best of the best because that is the way the game has been played. Yes, my theory may need work, but guess what unless you have a completely free camp, that loves my daughter who can't dribble and trys really hard and can't shoot. I don't see your point. AAU has never been about developing players, thats what you do at home behind closed doors, and in gyms or rec. centers. I doubt any team I have played or seen would pick my daughter, been there, done that and completely understand.

***Again PTguard if it is about the development then you would not spend so much time making state predictions on who is the best of the best. I think all of the best listed, none of whom, were from example: Joe's Carwash 10U girls team. (just an example) Why don't you have a team available for anybody join and free of charge 5days a week 2 hrs a day and Free tournaments, then it would be about the development. As of right now, it is about the "UGLY FACE OF WINNING".

The sad thing is the Recreation leagues have now become the same way. You have tryouts and nobody wants to pick the little kids that can't play or have basic skills. **AAU is great don't get me wrong but it isn't what it used to be.

Well, now I see where your frustration is coming from. I'm not even real sure how to respond to your post.

In terms of the money, well you have to pay to get into tournaments, because tournaments are not cheap to put on. If you have ever put one on, then you know what I am talking about. You have to pay to be on teams, because you have such things as jerseys, gym rentals, tournament fees, ect. that are also not cheap.

AAU was established for the purpose of developing players. They have National Championships, because players like to compete for things, strive for a goal. What are we suppose to be saying, "you should strive to get better just for the sake of getting better?" How will you know if the players are improving if you don't test them in such arenas as AAU, YBOA, MAYB, ect. I am simply saying that at the younger age groups, you find the best talent you can and you work to develop them. You don't go and dismantle your team because you didn't finish 1st in the State. Instead, you go home and you work on what your team needs to work on to be the best team in the state, not just quit and give a player or two to the Championship Team and say, "Sorry, you other girls are gonna have to sit home and play ball in the back yard because you weren't my best player and I wanted my best player to go play with the #1 team, so that Tennessee could be represented by one strong team, and one team only." That's rediculous.

As for my predictions, I make them because I love the game and people like them. Just because I make predictions doesn't mean I support one team over another, one "stacked" one over a county-based one. If a county-based one is able to beat a "stacked" one, you had better believe they will get the recognition they deserve from me.

I'm sorry that whatever experience you have had with AAU has been a negative one (or so it seems).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is it best to build a team as 9 year olds and try to develop them so that the will be a better team as 14,15 and 16 year olds? In other words, should you try to keep the team together? On the other hand, should you try to keep getting the best players you can and weed out the ones who are weaker, even if they have been with the organization for 4 or 5 years.

I guess it is easy to say the best teams are stacked. But, if you win at an early age (like last year's Pride 9U team), is that compiling a stacked team or Pride developing good young players (or maybe both).

I personally think the school AAU teams are a good idea. It makes your High School teams better in the future but these teams can't compete with the large AAU organizations.

Yes, I think that if you take a group early enough (and examples of this would be the current Tennessee Express and FCA Lady Eagles 11U teams), and work with them and develop their skills, then they can be a very successful team as they move on up in age groups. Every year, I would hold a tryout for any new girls that wanted to join. If I had enough for two teams, I would have two teams, one of which would be a team that is a little farther along in their development and one that is little more behind. I would play them in the tournaments I saw fit to best challenge them at their current skill level. I have never been one to cut players, but if for some reason it was not possible for me to have two teams (if I had a large number of kids show up for the tryout), I would make sure that I would find them someone else for them to play for if they so chose to do so.

The Team Pride 9U team from last year is not a "stacked" team. They are were only 9 years old and none of them had played AAU before then to my knowledge. They didn't take players away from anyone; they simply took what they could find and developed them. Now, they are one of the top teams in the country. That is not what I would call "stacking" by any means. "Stacking" is when you strive to pull the best players off of other weaker teams (thus removing the weaker players from your team) as a means of making yourself an even stronger team. At the higher age groups, players on those weaker teams are looking to challenge themselves and get themselves noticed by colleges, so they join an already strong team. So long as it is the player's choice to go and not some coach's who is trying to "entice" them away from another team, then I don't see a problem with it.

Yes, I think that if you take a group early enough (and examples of this would be the current Tennessee Express and FCA Lady Eagles 11U teams), and work with them and develop their skills, then they can be a very successful team as they move on up in age groups. Every year, I would hold a tryout for any new girls that wanted to join. If I had enough for two teams, I would have two teams, one of which would be a team that is a little farther along in their development and one that is little more behind. I would play them in the tournaments I saw fit to best challenge them at their current skill level. I have never been one to cut players, but if for some reason it was not possible for me to have two teams (if I had a large number of kids show up for the tryout), I would make sure that I would find them someone else for them to play for if they so chose to do so.

The Team Pride 9U team from last year is not a "stacked" team. They are were only 9 years old and none of them had played AAU before then to my knowledge. They didn't take players away from anyone; they simply took what they could find and developed them. Now, they are one of the top teams in the country. That is not what I would call "stacking" by any means. "Stacking" is when you strive to pull the best players off of other weaker teams (thus removing the weaker players from your team) as a means of making yourself an even stronger team. At the higher age groups, players on those weaker teams are looking to challenge themselves and get themselves noticed by colleges, so they join an already strong team. So long as it is the player's choice to go and not some coach's who is trying to "entice" them away from another team, then I don't see a problem with it.

The Pride Teams from 9u through 16u have players on their teams that were developed under the coaches at Pride or through personal training.When the kids 9u-13u come to the open gym or tryouts they are put in a relaxed atmostphere ,allow to play, and also given pointers along the way whether they have a chance to make the team or not. 14u-16u normally go through personal workouts to see where they stand;too add to teams that are already established. :P

ptguard12 you are correct in my opinion. If you take a young group of girls and work to develop them with hard work and patient and they have a disire to get better you can compete at a high level. The Team Pride 9u(currently TP 10u) are exactly that. They are not stacked, they are just a great group of young girls who all have a great disire to get better and love competing. They do it right way. I like your post keep it up.

The Memphis Glory won the Memphis SRT. Congrats! This will maybe move them up on several top 4 list. I also have learned that the Glory and Team Pride have at least one common opponent (The Alabama Twisters). The Glory beat the Twisters in a close one back in March. Team Pride beat the Twisters but I don't know the exact score. Apparently, Pride beat them by 30+. It is a shame that some of these teams don't get to play each other more often. It would prepare them for Nationals.

Can you give a scouting report of Memphis Glory and Memphis Lady Elite/tigers? If you know the TN Ladies I would love that as well.

Can you give a scouting report of Memphis Glory and Memphis Lady Elite/tigers? If you know the TN Ladies I would love that as well.

Memphis Elite Lady Tigers defeated Memphis Glory in the West Sub-State By 6

Memphis Glory defeated Memphis Elite Lady Tigers in overtime by either 1 point or one basket in the Memphis SRT

Memphis Elite Lady Tigers defeated Memphis Glory in the West Sub-State By 6

Memphis Glory defeated Memphis Elite Lady Tigers in overtime by either 1 point or one basket in the Memphis SRT

What are thier strenghs? Guard or Post or both, are big or fast? Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Goes to show that they are not as far above everyone else as people on here have been saying.

TP looked to have a few missing players in their game against the Ladies where they were barely beat them by "1". But when Sunday came around they looked to be a 100% and won by 19 points. I still believe that Team Pride is made up of a bunch of Team Players that all have a lot to offer & have great pride for the Game. No one player can make you or break you. Hats Off to them in their win.

Also good job to the Tn ladies in there game.

Your obviously a parent of one of the players on TP that takes things out of context, why is that classles? All I said was it looks like they arnt head and shoulders better than everyone else, LIKE EVERY ONE ON HERE WERE SAYING. People said they would have no problem winning the title, well apparently it wasnt as easy as people thought. Goodness get a life!

A classless response fueled by jealousy. Team Pride is far better at this point than all the other teams. The Memphis Glory was unfortunately in the same bracket as Pride and the Ladies. I still feel the Glory was the second best team in the State. With a 2-1 record and a win over the 2nd place Ladies, the Glory were done in by the dreaded point system. Wrong pool at the wrong time!

Bob77, you obviously didn't see the tournament and have no idea what your talking about. Give TP some credit and feel happy for all the teams that qualified for the Nationals. Heck, I think TP has room for improvement. Plus, they showed a lot more class than you did.

THIS IS A CLASSLES POST, not mine! For anyone to say we are far above anyone else is just being rediculous and big headed.

Edited by bob77