Coach at Morristown West

eo1914

This is exactly what is wrong with our nation today, and why our nation will never prosper again like it did in the early and mid 1900's. To freaking liberal, let the man coach and do what he does. If he is being suspended for this then i guarantee 50 percent or more of coaches in the state in all sports could be suspended for the same thing. Grow up.

Edited by alcoa06

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Stansberry. He is a class act that brings a passion to the filed not many coaches can rival. Like others have said in this post, I'm sure many other coaches from across the state could be suspended for the same thing. It's just unfortunate that a parent with no respect for him that appaerntly babies their child and gives him everything in life had to run their mouth because a coach got mad. I can only hope that the best works out for Chuck. He is a great guy and coach.

This is exactly what is wrong with our nation today, and why our nation will never prosper again like it did in the early and mid 1900's. To freaking liberal, let the man coach and do what he does. If he is being suspended for this then i guarantee 50 percent or more of coaches in the state in all sports could be suspended for the same thing. Grow up.

This sounds similar (though not exactly) to the case at Gibson County. A good head coach - though I don't know the guy at West - did something that the parents don't completely approve of and put things in motion to have him removed. At GC, daddy's little boy wasn't playing and he's a senior and boo hoo hoo get the coach out.

What a message we send our kids. That message is - if you can't get what you want the right way, then do it any way possible. Sometimes your kid is NOT the best man for the job. Deal with it - it is life.

Yes, I too need more info to pass judgment in this case. Too often we rush to judgment one way or the other. While I think we've gotten way too soft and need tough coaches who take no bull, some actions are beyond the pale and must be disciplined (just as players need discipline). I admired Woody Hayes, but when he hit a Clemson player who had gone out of bounds in the Gator Bowl, it was over for him. Many fine people make mistakes but sometimes an apology is not enough. A player who misses practice or disses a coach should not get by with just an apology. Neither should a coach if they did something that requires more. If Stansberry did something of that nature, the best thing he could do is to tell his players that he is sorry and that he is willing to pay the consequences as they stand. This will teach his players a very valuable lesson. We live in a society where way too many folks think that they can get by simply by saying, "I'm sorry." On the other hand, if what he did does not rise to that level, then the principal has taught the players an awful lesson: Whine and you can get what you want.

I'd sure like to know exactly what was said or what happened.

I’m amazed. Is there no one out there that thinks a high school coach should have some class and character? A coach that yells explicit profanities at children is okay? What type of example is this behavior setting for these ball players? A high school coach has a position of responsibility, when it comes to the development of these young men (not just on the ball field.) I am about as far from liberal as an individual can be, but I certainly would not stand for an adult yelling the F word over and over again at my child.

Lovebball, sounds like you have a little "insight" on the situation? If this is what happened, then some sort of punishment should be administered. In order to "suspend" a coach for the rest of the year, I think you have to look at his history. If he doesn't have a history of this type of action, then that should be taken into account by all involved, including the parents. If he does, and has been properly warned by his superiors in the past, then the correct action has been taken.

I don't think this is as "black and white" as some are making it out to be. Another poster mentioned that one of the players had recorded the comments on his cell phone. Why would the player do that?

Lovebball, sounds like you have a little "insight" on the situation? If this is what happened, then some sort of punishment should be administered. In order to "suspend" a coach for the rest of the year, I think you have to look at his history. If he doesn't have a history of this type of action, then that should be taken into account by all involved, including the parents. If he does, and has been properly warned by his superiors in the past, then the correct action has been taken.

I don't think this is as "black and white" as some are making it out to be. Another poster mentioned that one of the players had recorded the comments on his cell phone. Why would the player do that?

This is not the first or the second incident.

This is not the first or the second incident.

Let's put aside what was done by the coach for a moment. Regardless of the situation, its severity, his level of responsibility, or the consequences that follows.

My question here echoes an earlier post: why is it OK for a player to record a post-game speech on his cell phone? Was the coach set up (again, regardless of all of the earlier things mentioned) to fail in this situation? If so, how can the next head coach (assuming that Coach Stanberry (sp?) does not return) perform his job with confidence?

It's very clear that Stansbury handled the major let-down at Maryville insufficiently, in that he used profound language in the direction of his players. The significant factor in this situation, though, is that he realized it short-thereafter and explained to his players that he was wrong in his actions. Too often people in position of authority are expected to be perfect, and one screw-up is taken out of context. This is a perfect example of where our society has been headed. Kids are critiquing adults instead of the other way around. How can a teenager learn from his superiors if he seeks mistakes in that of the latter rather than the motifs others like coach Stansbury is rightfully teaching them every day?

Its always amazing to me that the general public quickly dismiss the players side of a story. Coaching go over the line just like players do, yet coaches get the full benefit of the doubt, while a player is luckly to even get a word out. If he does, he probably gets slammed for it, as being soft, or a troublemaker.

Its always amazing to me that the general public quickly dismiss the players side of a story. Coaching go over the line just like players do, yet coaches get the full benefit of the doubt, while a player is luckly to even get a word out. If he does, he probably gets slammed for it, as being soft, or a troublemaker.

That is why the player is the player and the coach is the coach. Obviously, many people thought of him highly enough as a person and a coach to do this job. Can coaches be wrong sometimes?? Absolutely. But Coach Stansbury is (or was) the man with the job and was trying to get a point across. He probably could have addressed this point with less emphasis but again I stress, he is the coach. That's why none of the parents were hired to assume that position.

Take football at JC for example. Sure, Coach U probably did some things people disagreed with and was tough on his players. But it's called discipline and it's what develops a player physically and mentally.

From what I understand, none of the players thought it to be necessary to complaint to the admin., only the parents. I could be wrong about that. But, if that is true, then to me that is a sign that the coach was making his point to his team the way he thought they'd respond to.