Coach at Morristown West

eo1914

JMHO-

A coach is hired to do his job in a professional manner, if he was dropping fbombs in front of 14-18 year old kids- then he wasn't doing the job intended by the people who hired him. You have to teach kids how to win with class and how to lose with class. I didn't say you teach kids to be happy with losing, there is a big difference. No one is more competitive than me, but I would never curse in front of the kids I coach. That is problem with society today, we just want to quickly dismiss every screw up and pretend it's ok. If a player had been dropping fbombs then I'm sure they would have received punishment. A coach must be held to a higher standard than the players, thus a more severe punishment. You would be surprised how many of these kids look at their coach as the only positive figure in their life. I don't think anyone can say the coach was set up by the player who videotaped his rampage on cell phone. No one made the coach say what he did. I hope Chuck learns a valuable lesson, and I'm sure he'll get another chance on down the line. I wish him nothing but the best of luck in the future, but as an outsider- I think the right decision was made. Hopefully, the players will learn a valuable lesson about accountability as well.

You are such a saint. I'll bet you have never made a mistake. Must of been your son!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weird is upon me. If I recall correctly a coach on the other side of Morristown was only reluctantly released after some very ill-advised activities and relationships with students. Now maybe Mo. West is just a classier organization, or the people and parents of Mo. West are being a bit less thankful than they should be.

The question comes down to two things: Was Coach Stansberry someone who used disgraceful language to injure and impress athletes? and was Coach Stansberry someone who represents the athletic department and school well?

If these questions can be answered honestly, then all opinions will be proven moot.

I am a father but I have a few issues with this situation of which I have no affiliation....

What has happened to our society? Kids videotaping team meetings on cell phones? Parents thinking their kids are the next A-Rod or Clemens and then cussing and shouting at their kids and everyone elses each time a ball is bobbled.

What about that dad we have all seen at some point in our lives that comes to each game drunk and decides to voice his opinion on each pitch?

What a sad day it is that we have to establish contracts for players a mile long and even longer for the parents. And through it all, the coach has to control the "sinking Titanic"! A coach is expected to hold the team together, manage the circus taking place in the stands, monitor the players grades, etc., BUT he still better win games, play the right kids, teach, have time for his own family YET NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE! A good coach was once one who helped re-enforce what was taught at home and now a good coach is one who that plays the role of the parent for each player who gets nothing at home.

How about this...let the coach lead them team and do his best to win games and parents actually DO SOME PARENTING AT HOME! Guess since the parents don't get paid to Parent they have an excuse whereas the coach doesn't!

JMHO-

A coach is hired to do his job in a professional manner, if he was dropping fbombs in front of 14-18 year old kids- then he wasn't doing the job intended by the people who hired him. You have to teach kids how to win with class and how to lose with class. I didn't say you teach kids to be happy with losing, there is a big difference. No one is more competitive than me, but I would never curse in front of the kids I coach. That is problem with society today, we just want to quickly dismiss every screw up and pretend it's ok. If a player had been dropping fbombs then I'm sure they would have received punishment. A coach must be held to a higher standard than the players, thus a more severe punishment. You would be surprised how many of these kids look at their coach as the only positive figure in their life. I don't think anyone can say the coach was set up by the player who videotaped his rampage on cell phone. No one made the coach say what he did. I hope Chuck learns a valuable lesson, and I'm sure he'll get another chance on down the line. I wish him nothing but the best of luck in the future, but as an outsider- I think the right decision was made. Hopefully, the players will learn a valuable lesson about accountability as well.

Modern technology, where would we be without it. I do not condone profanity, but if every school system fired every coach that said a profane word in the privacy of a team meeting, that was apparently not directed at any one individual, but toward the play of the team after a tough loss, there would be many teams coachless.

Any player that would secretly tape or parent that would run to administration with that tape instead of confronting the coach about their displeasure I guarantee has other agendas. Why not do the right thing and ask the coach for a meeting and voice your concerns. If nothing is resolved then take it to a higher power.

No one is dismissing crude behavior but here is the standard....

Kids mess up, they are young and learning (look at our court system!!!)

Parents mess up and they are just passionate about their kids and learning to be parents!!!

Coaches mess up and they get fired and are poor examples and should wear a scarlet letter on them forever!!!

Fair? No way...no one is saying he didn't make a mistake but allow him to be human and learn like we allow others. A coach is still human last I checked and he will have learned from this..obviously if he apologized after and now has been suspended. I try my best to say all the right things in front of my child as I am a Christian but i am not perfect...If all parents were arrested everytime they cussed in front of their child we would have chaos in the streets. :thumb:

No, I am not a saint.

No, I don't have anything to do with Morristown West.

Now, what if you send your kid to school and the English teacher gets mad and starts cursing? Then the kid goes to Math and same thing happens. I just don't understand how some can just dismiss this action and say well, he just made a mistake. Teachers and coaches in high school are supposed to be in this for the kids (cause it sure ain't for the money). They need to act like mature adults and remember that kids are watching there every move. If you allow the coach to go on a cursing rampage just because you lose a game, then how are you going to discipline a kid who throws his bat when he strikes out? What about the kid that cusses out the ump for a bad call? No one is saying that Stansberry should be banned for life. I just said I agree with the decision to let him go for this season. Why you ask? For the reasons I just mentioned. There is no way he can control discipline of his players when they have seen his actions first hand. If this is first incident (which I doubt because of other poster saying it's not) then maybe he should be allowed back as head coach next year. If he has a history of these actions, then I wouldn't want him coaching my child. I want my child to learn how to win and lose with class. I want my child to learn there is a right and wrong way to act. Don't you?

I have no part in this, but I would have to agree with PTSportsWriter.

This is not acceptable behavior, and coaches are the parents to most kids today , but being suspended for the rest of the year is not the right action. I bet the kid that taped it does use that kind of language, and probably the parents too. If a kid uses the same kind of language, or parent what do you think would happen to them? Probably little to nothing. I do think that the coach should be reprimanded, or maybe serve a 1 game suspension, but the rest of the year, no way.

I know some of the parents at Mo' West. One of them is a pastor. I don't know his involvement but I think it doesn't hold water to assume the kid who reported this uses the same language. I know a lot of players who don't and are offended when someone does--what is wrong with that? In this case, not knowing the history, the punishment may well not fit the crime but I don't know. I just think that it is no argument to belittle those of who think that cursing is boorish and as inappropriate by a coach as it is being used by a teacher. The next time a class does poorly on a test and the teacher wants to chew them out and uses the f-bomb, let's just see if they still have job afterwards.

I know some of the parents at Mo' West. One of them is a pastor. I don't know his involvement but I think it doesn't hold water to assume the kid who reported this uses the same language. I know a lot of players who don't and are offended when someone does--what is wrong with that? In this case, not knowing the history, the punishment may well not fit the crime but I don't know. I just think that it is no argument to belittle those of who think that cursing is boorish and as inappropriate by a coach as it is being used by a teacher. The next time a class does poorly on a test and the teacher wants to chew them out and uses the f-bomb, let's just see if they still have job afterwards.

You sound like your the head bleacher coach. Obviously Coach Stansberry has did something to make you mad. You must be perfect in every aspect of life. I wish I could be perfect like you. You are a joke.

This isn't about anything like that...it is about treating a man like he is a human being that made a mistake. Parents too are role models...so every time they cuss at home or ground a child are you going to video tape it on the phone and run to Child Services? I don't condone the language he used but there are many a coach out there that put their hands on kids AND use fbombs yet they still are praised for being "role models" mainly because they win championships. Look at the teams record and that is why people are quick to get a coach out for any reason they can...