Field Size

JOE23

We've seen some recent discussions on the size of fields and how many schools are forced to make do on Football fields or other less desirable pitches. Farragut had issues with field size in a major SC tournament, Madison just played a district game on an inadequate field scratched out on the side of the playground of an elementary school. Dyersburg's soccer field is 120 X 64 which sounds like it is closer to college specs than other team's but what about other teams? Why do soccer teams have to settle? If our state's players are going to be competitive dont we need to have competitive size fields? What do you think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen some recent discussions on the size of fields and how many schools are forced to make do on Football fields or other less desirable pitches. Farragut had issues with field size in a major SC tournament, Madison just played a district game on an inadequate field scratched out on the side of the playground of an elementary school. Dyersburg's soccer field is 120 X 64 which sounds like it is closer to college specs than other team's but what about other teams? Why do soccer teams have to settle? If our state's players are going to be competitive dont we need to have competitive size fields? What do you think?

Two points: I don't believe Farragut "had issues" with the size of the USC field, it was merely an observation on the size as related to the norm for most TN schools. From my experience, the "good" teams with more speed and skill generally prefer a larger field.

Secondly, field size for most TN teams is a matter of economics not preference. Most schools are forced to play on their schools' football fields or carve out another plot of land for soccer. Most TSSAA schools' soccer programs simply do not have the financial resources to build and maintain a separate soccer complex of proper dimensions. Sad but true.

I would love it that were so, but it won't happen. There are very few fortunate teams that have a soccer field all to themselves that don't have to share with football. With the football goalposts you are limited to the length, and width you are usually limited by the 8 lane track that surrounds it. It is a difficult adjustment playing on a 117 X 75 field that we have to a field that follows literal football sidelines, but it is a reality that we have to get used to.

I would imagine that every soccer team would like their own huge field, but as far as cost, I don't think the funds are available.

Two points: I don't believe Farragut "had issues" with the size of the USC field, it was merely an observation on the size as related to the norm for most TN schools. From my experience, the "good" teams with more speed and skill generally prefer a larger field.

Secondly, field size for most TN teams is a matter of economics not preference. Most schools are forced to play on their schools' football fields or carve out another plot of land for soccer. Most TSSAA schools' soccer programs simply do not have the financial resources to build and maintain a separate soccer complex of proper dimensions. Sad but true.

You're right. D-burg's football coach actually did us a favor when he decreed that it would be a "cold day in heck "(sic) when a soccer team would play on his sacred fields. So when our district built a new middle school the high school soccer team was able to swing getting a soccer complex buillt there (the middle school football team has to use OUR fields!) Soccer usually doesn't generate the gate money that football or basketball does but sometimes the money can be found if enough pressure is applied in the right places.

It is a tough issue.

You would like to have a minimum standard but many of the smaller schools just don't have the option.

I guess if they had a minimum standard, those schools would just have to schedule there games somewhere else.

Don't think TSSAA really understands how this effects the quality of the game so I don't think it will ever be changed.

I agree Seldon. Although the vast majority of teams would prefer their own field, its just not economically possible in most places.

If the people that love that sport and realize the implications of settling for inadequate fields dont continually push for what they need -who will? What other sport besides soccer negotiates on the size of its playing surface? We will never change things if we always think "that's just the way things are" or "sad but true". There are solutions and avenues for change if there is the desire to find them. Just food for thought

If the people that love that sport and realize the implications of settling for inadequate fields dont continually push for what they need -who will? What other sport besides soccer negotiates on the size of its playing surface? We will never change things if we always think "that's just the way things are" or "sad but true". There are solutions and avenues for change if there is the desire to find them. Just food for thought

Joe, you're right. I also can't complain much, since we have our own field. I do know a lot of Knoxville coaches who are "lucky" to even get on the football field (according to AD's or football coaches). I think booster clubs might be a good avenue to follow. Bearden got their own field not too long ago, and it is great. It is just a big battle that many coaches don't have the time or energy to fight.

Not only is the quality of the game compromised but so is safety. I have seen more injuries of a more serious nature on the smaller fields vs. larger fields. You may never get an improvement with the game quality issue but when it comes to the pocketbook with increased insurance costs and lawsuits maybe someone will listen

Also it seems soccer is not a priority in TN, Yet?

I think change is occuring-just slower than some of us would like. In our area alone we now have 5 or more middle school teams that weren't there 5 years ago. Some are coached by non-faculty coaches who love soccer and were willing to put in the time and energy to further soccer in their area -so approached their district superintendants or powers that be to start Middle school feeder programs.

Everything just takes time, determination and most of all persistence.