TN has offered Alex Watkins

wildcatcrazy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Red Raider here with some question on Alex Watkins. Sorry I am so late in responding, but I found this in a google search.

Some of our coaches come from the SEC and SEC area and it seems we are starting to actually see some recruits from that area. I live in Texas and can answer a lot of questions about Texas HS players but completely lost on the areas you typically follow, so I am asking you guys.

Aappearantly Alex wants to major in nutrition or something similar, something that Texas Tech offers a well respected program in. It is supposedly part of the reason he is considering Tech, but I'm going on third hand information.

He is kind of light for a DE, but he has the frame to be able to bulk up. Also, we are trying some things a little different on D next season. We are moving a 6'2, 260, 4.6 DE to SAM, Key Dawson from Shreveport Evangel, and have him be a stand up pass rusher in a pseudo 3-4 at times, but we will still be a 4-3 most downs. Key will be a SR, so if Alex can cover RBs out of the backfield on short routes and TE on short to medium routes, he could get some early playing time. Any idea if Alex could play a tweener position like that?

I will be happy to return the favor and provide any info on TX HS players you may have questions on. Thanks in advance.

Red Raider here with some question on Alex Watkins. Sorry I am so late in responding, but I found this in a google search.

Some of our coaches come from the SEC and SEC area and it seems we are starting to actually see some recruits from that area. I live in Texas and can answer a lot of questions about Texas HS players but completely lost on the areas you typically follow, so I am asking you guys.

Aappearantly Alex wants to major in nutrition or something similar, something that Texas Tech offers a well respected program in. It is supposedly part of the reason he is considering Tech, but I'm going on third hand information.

He is kind of light for a DE, but he has the frame to be able to bulk up. Also, we are trying some things a little different on D next season. We are moving a 6'2, 260, 4.6 DE to SAM, Key Dawson from Shreveport Evangel, and have him be a stand up pass rusher in a pseudo 3-4 at times, but we will still be a 4-3 most downs. Key will be a SR, so if Alex can cover RBs out of the backfield on short routes and TE on short to medium routes, he could get some early playing time. Any idea if Alex could play a tweener position like that?

I will be happy to return the favor and provide any info on TX HS players you may have questions on. Thanks in advance.

Red, so tell me, is Texas Tech going to have those gawdy passing stats again this season? Will they have the same qb or did he graduate? I will say that I've always wanted to see a Texas high school football game and I will before I die, trust me! lol! I know that Texas is a hot bed for high school talent . But tell me, how does TTech hold up against UTexas, A&M, and the other schools in the Lone Star state? I've heard that Georgia signed Stafford out of the Dallas area this year. Did Tech recruit him? Did Tech sign any big names? Appreciate the info. Oh by the way, I believe that Watkins would look better in Tennessee orange than red and black, so......

Red, so tell me, is Texas Tech going to have those gawdy passing stats again this season? Will they have the same qb or did he graduate? I will say that I've always wanted to see a Texas high school football game and I will before I die, trust me! lol! I know that Texas is a hot bed for high school talent . But tell me, how does TTech hold up against UTexas, A&M, and the other schools in the Lone Star state? I've heard that Georgia signed Stafford out of the Dallas area this year. Did Tech recruit him? Did Tech sign any big names? Appreciate the info. Oh by the way, I believe that Watkins would look better in Tennessee orange than red and black, so......

Tech should get back to the 2003 stats and should lead college in total O and points scored. We are breaking in a new QB, but one who is a top QB. He threw for 12000 plus yards and 167 TD in 3 years in high school. His team lost one regular season game in 3 years, his SO year when they also won state. They lost the state championship game the next year and went out in an upset in the third round his SR year. Graham Harrell should be rolling pretty well by the end of the season. We have an experienced group of receivers that include 2005 All-American Jarrett Hicks, 2006 Playboy Preseason All-American Joel Filani, and the 2005 Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year, Robert Johnson.

Our OL struggled a bit last season but played better by the end of the year. Last year, our QB was playing with a bad shoulder and bad elbow by the end of the season and struggled getting his passes on the mark. He had a weak arm to beging with. Against Alabama, we tried lobs to our WR who were so much taller than the Tide DBs, but our QB struggled getting the ball up enough to allow the HT advantage to work enough. Alabama had a tough D last year. Their short CBs were pretty good.

Tech is the #2 team in Texas right now. While we could beat Texas in Lubbock this year, we would need to win a NC to actually claim we are on par with them. A&M is struggling and may be looking for a new coach soon.

I think it is a long shot that Alex Watkins makes it to Tech, but I heard through the grapevine that he at least had some real interest because he wants to be a chef or something.

No, Tech did not recruit Stafford too hard and I'm not sure why. I think it was obvious early Matt wanted to leave the state for what ever reason. He is the real deal and will be pretty good in college. Leach also seemed pretty set on a 6'5, 210 kid from Abilene, Taylor Potts. He needs to speed up his release though to make it in college.

We've been recruitng well on O for a while now, but we are finally starting to get more than just one or two good D players in each class. We're finally getting some speed on D too. Last year we were too slow to blitz, which cost us against Texas and Alabama. Auburn gave us the blue print to beat Alabama, but we didn't have the athletes on D to pull it of. We will now though. We finally have a class full of speed on D for a change.

On O, Leach and his staff recruit a body type at most positions. We can get guys who don't have much pub but can be worked into good players on O. Now if we can only do that on D.

Two names to remember are RB Baron Batch and DB Jamal Wall. They are 2 very under rated recruits.

Let me also ask about Jocques Crawford from Cordova, TN. He was a late addition to our 2006 class and will be going to a prep school instead of Tech. Initially I thought there is no way he ever ends up at Tech, but now I hear he is keeping up with others in the class about playing at Tech. I heard he had some legal troubles too. Is he one to get excited about or is it best to let things shake out elsewhere?

Crawford was charged with rape last year, though I believe the charges were dropped.

Thanks. Doesn't sound good. I hope he gets his life on track, even if he never makes it to Tech.

For you Vol fans out there Nick Stephens is a very good QB prospect. Matt Stafford of Highland Park looked like the best QB prospect from Texas, but he had an incredible OL that was the reason they were so good last year. Two or three of their OL are D1 bound too along with Matt. But Nick Stephens is about that same caliber. I think he is under rated at three stars, he probably needs a RS year to add a little weight and a little more polish, but he is a quality prospect.

Thanks. Doesn't sound good. I hope he gets his life on track, even if he never makes it to Tech.

For you Vol fans out there Nick Stephens is a very good QB prospect. Matt Stafford of Highland Park looked like the best QB prospect from Texas, but he had an incredible OL that was the reason they were so good last year. Two or three of their OL are D1 bound too along with Matt. But Nick Stephens is about that same caliber. I think he is under rated at three stars, he probably needs a RS year to add a little weight and a little more polish, but he is a quality prospect.

Red, I've got a question you may or may not be able to answer. Do you know what happened to Jordan Shipley, the smallish reciver that signed with Texas a few years ago? Is he hurt or still on the team? Didn't he play high school ball with the McGhee kid that signed with A&M? By the way, I've heard of Stephens but I don't know much about him. I guess Tennessee may sign a QB soon because Ainge is a Jr. and they'll need somebody to back up Crompton. It will be interesting to see how Stafford does at Georgia!!