Powell vs. Oak Ridge

Guest PiMPiSH

I was only using Cody as an example. My main point is SPEED. For the last 3 years Powell has lost to Maryville because they had nobody to counter Tyler Maples. (Before anyone gets MAD and starts shouting at me, yes, I know Maryville has/had plenty of weapons in their arsenal and even if Powell had someone to counter it doesn't mean the scoreboard would have read any different at the end. And yes, I know it's been more more than 3 years since Powell beat Maryville.)

Anyway, I simply think speed, speed, and more speed is THE single most important ability in football. Look at the SEC vs any other conference for example. If this kid does come to Powell, why not put him at WR. If Powell could put one, just ONE fast guy on the outside then Coach Lowe's playbook would double in size. Spread it out. Make the defence respect the deep threat. We have a great line, great running backs, and a great defence to hold down the score. ALL POWELL NEEDS IS ONE FAST GUY ON THE OUTSIDE. Also, can you imagine who many yards Huffy or Texas would have if they didn't have to go up against 8 in the box every single game. JMO.

Again, I don't dissagree with you at all. Speed is crucial, but the bottom line is that speed is the one area that Powell has been lacking the last few years. We all know that.

The question is can a player do more for you the few times he might get the ball at WR or with the ball in his hands on every play? Sure, the big pass is nice, but the bread and butter of the offense is the 5 yards per play you get in between the big plays. If you can control the football and play good defense you can win a lot of football games.

Does that make sense?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiMPiSH

Again, I don't dissagree with you at all. Speed is crucial, but the bottom line is that speed is the one area that Powell has been lacking the last few years. We all know that.

The question is can a player do more for you the few times he might get the ball at WR or with the ball in his hands on every play? Sure, the big pass is nice, but the bread and butter of the offense is the 5 yards per play you get in between the big plays. If you can control the football and play good defense you can win a lot of football games.

Does that make sense?

Of course it makes sense. However, you just made my point in the first sentence of your second paragraph. The defense has to respect the deep threat "every play" which means they can't stack 8 in the box "every play" which means Huffy and Texas run all over the place because the defense is respecting that speed on the corners. If your offense is one dimensional (Powell, last year) then the defense can key in on that one thing (Cody). As gifted an athlete as Cody was/is, he just couldn't do it all by himself. No one can, except Micheal Vick and even he struggles in the playoffs. So to answer your question, yes, in this particular case. And just to clear it up, your question was based on Cody or "this kid"...right? Anyway, yes, considering who Powell has at each respectable position, I believe your fastest player would do more for your offense the "few" times he touches the ball as opposed to having his hands on it "every play". Because, technically, he does effect "every play" whether his hands are on the ball or not.

Side note: Sorry for all the quotations. I was just trying to make a point. Nothing personal.

Of course it makes sense. However, you just made my point in the first sentence of your second paragraph. The defense has to respect the deep threat "every play" which means they can't stack 8 in the box "every play" which means Huffy and Texas run all over the place because the defense is respecting that speed on the corners. If your offense is one dimensional (Powell, last year) then the defense can key in on that one thing (Cody). As gifted an athlete as Cody was/is, he just couldn't do it all by himself. No one can, except Micheal Vick and even he struggles in the playoffs. So to answer your question, yes, in this particular case. And just to clear it up, your question was based on Cody or "this kid"...right? Anyway, yes, considering who Powell has at each respectable position, I believe your fastest player would do more for your offense the "few" times he touches the ball as opposed to having his hands on it "every play". Because, technically, he does effect "every play" whether his hands are on the ball or not.

Side note: Sorry for all the quotations. I was just trying to make a point. Nothing personal.

Don't apologize. This is just conversation.

The one thing I take exception with you on was that the offense was one dememsional. Cody was a threat, but so was Jay Courtney. He and Huff carried a huge share of the offensive load, too. I look for Huff and Tex to be similar in that demension this coming fall. While he didn't have huge numbers, Lee also drew a lot of attention from opposing defenses. You had to respect him, too.

I guess we'll just have to agree to dissagree. I feel like QB made much more sense for Cody than did the WR spot, even after the injury to Brandon. I'd rather have the ball in his hands on every play than just a few, but that's just me.

As for the potential new player, while i'm hearing that he is going to be there, i'm not counting on it until he is enrolled and on the field.

Guest PiMPiSH

Don't apologize. This is just conversation.

The one thing I take exception with you on was that the offense was one dememsional. Cody was a threat, but so was Jay Courtney. He and Huff carried a huge share of the offensive load, too. I look for Huff and Tex to be similar in that demension this coming fall. While he didn't have huge numbers, Lee also drew a lot of attention from opposing defenses. You had to respect him, too.

I guess we'll just have to agree to dissagree. I feel like QB made much more sense for Cody than did the WR spot, even after the injury to Brandon. I'd rather have the ball in his hands on every play than just a few, but that's just me.

As for the potential new player, while i'm hearing that he is going to be there, i'm not counting on it until he is enrolled and on the field.

Agree to disagree sounds good to me. I enjoyed the debate.

wow HTV that went much more smoothly then most of ur debates on the forum. Looks like pimpish is one of the only mature, intelligent people that has tried to debate you lol, i kid. But as usual im gonna have to take HTV's side here. Early in the year there was no need to put Cody at reciever because we had Brandon Thrower out there who was one of if not the best deep threat in the area. On top of that, as HTV mentioned Matt was coming off the shoulder injury. Due to that any throw over 15-20 yards was a real strain for him at that time. However, even after Brandon went down, i just dont think it was in the best interest of the team to put cody at WR. I mean the last game of the year late in the game Cody checked in at reciever with Lee Smith at QB. If memory serves (and these plays were being watched through my own tear filled eyes) i dont believe any of those plays were successful. Now i know at that point if u line cody up at wideout that the d is going to key on him so maybe thats not a very good point, but its the only evidence of cody playing the position. My last point is that Coach Lowe geared his offense towards having a mobile QB. A large part of our throwing package was bootlegs and designed rollouts. On top of that Cody became a large part of the rushing attack with a lot of designed runs in the playbook each week. I think Coach stephens and coach lowe made the best of what we had last year, and any underachieving should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the players. Just one individual's thoughts though.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be Powells time to shine. With the addition of the Cruze kid at Q.B. they have all of the parts to make a run at Maryville and certainly move into the 2 spot.

One question will Coach Lowe really let Smith call the offense or is he just the offensive corrdinator in name only?

Coach Lowe told me that Daryle is the offensive coordinator. He'll make the play calls.

Of course, as is the case with any head coach and his coordinators, Lowe will obviously have imput.

i say that last year Powell had to put Cody at QB because there was simply no one to fill his spot with Abba hurt and inexperienced, but 2 years ago is when they should've put Cody at WR. They had Wesley Roop who could throw just as good as Cody and plus they would've had a very good O-line, a good QB, a very good running game, and Thrower, Lee, Galyon, and Cody to throw to. That line-up would've put more weapons on their offense that even Maryville couldn't gaurd it, and even with that not in they still almost eliminated Maryville in the play-offs, but lost 21-16. I think it would've been a whole different story if Cody played WR.

i say that last year Powell had to put Cody at QB because there was simply no one to fill his spot with Abba hurt and inexperienced, but 2 years ago is when they should've put Cody at WR. They had Wesley Roop who could throw just as good as Cody and plus they would've had a very good O-line, a good QB, a very good running game, and Thrower, Lee, Galyon, and Cody to throw to. That line-up would've put more weapons on their offense that even Maryville couldn't gaurd it, and even with that not in they still almost eliminated Maryville in the play-offs, but lost 21-16. I think it would've been a whole different story if Cody played WR.

Did you see the both of them play quarterback, and if so, do you really believe what you are saying?

Cody set school records for single season passing yardage and single season total offense that year. He broke Matt Lowe's records in both categories.

Wesley Roop is a great kid and he did have a very good arm. He was not quick nor could he run well, however, and his decision making was suspect at times.

You want the ball in the hands of your best athlete as much as possible in a multi-dimensional offense like Powell runs. Cody Watts was definitely Powell's best athlete two years ago.

True. But with Cody running the ball 8 of 10 plays on 3rd and any 4th down attempt nobody on either side of the ball was ever fooled. Do you really believe what you're saying about them being mulit-dimensional?

Cody rushed on 8 of 10 third and fourth down plays? Where did you get your statistics? Mine come directly from the official team stats.

It's hard to argue with results. Powell averaged almost 30 points per game that year.

Watts set the single season pass yardage record and ran for about 1,000 yards himself. Between Jay Courtney and Josh Huffaker the tailback slot rushed for right at 1,600 yards behind Watts.

Yes, I would call 1,800 yards passing and some 2,800 yards rushing pretty much multi-dimensional for a high school football team.

Thank you. What percentage did Cody run the ball on 3rd down? What percentage did Cody run the ball on 4th down? I only saw Powell play Maryville twice and West once (@ Powell). Cody was 8 of 10 running on 3rd down in those games. Your help is needed here. If this is anywhere near accurate then Powell wasn't as multi-deminsional as you recall. I don't have the stats and you can certainly set me straight on this.

I think I did give you the stats. Watts threw for 1,800 yards and rushed for just under 1,000 and the two tailbacks rushed for 1,600 between them. That's pretty darned multi-dimensional for any football team.

So, you are judging an entire season on the three games you saw? That explains a lot.