High School Drug Screen

eaglesin08

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarcasm aside :lol: its been said many times throughout this thread....if you have nothing to hide then it shouldn't matter if the DEA camps out in your living room and tests you hourly. I think in this case guilt breeds contempt. Those of us that don't do drugs and those of us who are not afraid (and in fact would be grateful) to find out if our children were gettin mixed up in things we were unaware of will always be for drug testing. As for the rest, I have to believe that there are objections to it other than the desire to be fair or not violate someone's civil rights.

If you are so worried about your kids doing drugs why don't you test them? That was my original point. It is our responsibility as parents to parent. Are you really going to rely on the school system to raise your kids for you? I know I'm not. Like I told all the other morons who say "you must be on drugs since you're against testing", if you want to pay for the tests, come to my house and we'll all pee for you. Will that make you feel better? I know times have changed in the years since I graduated, but when I was in school athletes were the best and brightest of what schools had to offer. To single them out is'nt just unfair, it is just plain stupid. Test everyone or test no one.

Edited by mikey65

mikey65, you sound like you are one of those that I previously mentioned that thinks they should only concern themselves with their own children. While I hope that you never have to experience what I have, which I will say was life changing, I also hope that you would act as an adult and attempt to keep a kid from ruining his/her life.

No, I'm not asking the schools to raise my children. I am requiring them to protect my children from harming themselves, as well as potentially harming anyone else while they are in the schools care. Besides teaching them the ABC's, they are charged with protecting them. When my kids are away from school, I can only hope and pray that they will use good judgement. If they don't, I can only hope and pray that someone with your mentality isn't standing around them. I hope and pray that an adult will attempt to correct them and then notify me, the parent.

Look, I'm not trying to save the world. I am trying to raise the awareness that we should all take responsibility in attempting to reach kids that may be in trouble. They may not be yours, then again, they may be. If that makes me a "moron", crown me king!

mikey65, you sound like you are one of those that I previously mentioned that thinks they should only concern themselves with their own children. While I hope that you never have to experience what I have, which I will say was life changing, I also hope that you would act as an adult and attempt to keep a kid from ruining his/her life.

No, I'm not asking the schools to raise my children. I am requiring them to protect my children from harming themselves, as well as potentially harming anyone else while they are in the schools care. Besides teaching them the ABC's, they are charged with protecting them. When my kids are away from school, I can only hope and pray that they will use good judgement. If they don't, I can only hope and pray that someone with your mentality isn't standing around them. I hope and pray that an adult will attempt to correct them and then notify me, the parent.

Look, I'm not trying to save the world. I am trying to raise the awareness that we should all take responsibility in attempting to reach kids that may be in trouble. They may not be yours, then again, they may be. If that makes me a "moron", crown me king!

:lol:

The way you talk about the schools protecting your children at school sounds more like they are doing drugs at school. There are already rules against that. You never answered my question about the kid who died. You said everyone knew he was on drugs, so what good would testing him do? Another thing I was wondering about from all of you people who want to test students, what do you do to the ones who fail the test?

I f I had anything to hide I would not have spent 8 years in the Marine Corps. But what does me having something to hide have to do with drug testing high school athletes?

It's really not that Mikey. You just seem to be totally against testing. Maybe you believe it is just not right or 'not constitutional' or something. Could you explain?

If you are, in fact, a former member of the armed service of this country, my hat is off to you and those that have served with you. I do appreciate our uniformed persons, active and in-active.

It's really not that Mikey. You just seem to be totally against testing. Maybe you believe it is just not right or 'not constitutional' or something. Could you explain?

If you are, in fact, a former member of the armed service of this country, my hat is off to you and those that have served with you. I do appreciate our uniformed persons, active and in-active.

Read post #86.

If you really do appreciate the military, then I say you are welcome.

The way you talk about the schools protecting your children at school sounds more like they are doing drugs at school. There are already rules against that. You never answered my question about the kid who died. You said everyone knew he was on drugs, so what good would testing him do? Another thing I was wondering about from all of you people who want to test students, what do you do to the ones who fail the test?

Put a spin on my words as much as you would like. Read between the lines and insinuate what you may. If, you are a veteran, you know about rules. You know about never leaving a wounded soldier behind. You have been trained to eliminate the threat of enemy force. Not only have you been trained to eliminate that force, you been trained to respect life! Guess what mikey65, I'm a veteran as well. If, you spent 8 years in Corps, you, of all people, would understand my passion. To not confuse you, let me explain myself.

Rules- drugs are illegal

Leaving a wounded Soldier behind- not attempting to help or rescue someone that you know is doing drugs.

Eliminate the threat of enemy force- DRUG USERS= potential DRUG DEALERS

To answer the question of what good would it have done to test the kid that eventually died, it would have showed that someone was concerned enough to attempt to do something about it. Would it have been a deterrent? Don't know! For him, we'll never know.

Put a spin on my words as much as you would like. Read between the lines and insinuate what you may. If, you are a veteran, you know about rules. You know about never leaving a wounded soldier behind. You have been trained to eliminate the threat of enemy force. Not only have you been trained to eliminate that force, you been trained to respect life! Guess what mikey65, I'm a veteran as well. If, you spent 8 years in Corps, you, of all people, would understand my passion. To not confuse you, let me explain myself.

Rules- drugs are illegal

Leaving a wounded Soldier behind- not attempting to help or rescue someone that you know is doing drugs.

Eliminate the threat of enemy force- DRUG USERS= potential DRUG DEALERS

To answer the question of what good would it have done to test the kid that eventually died, it would have showed that someone was concerned enough to attempt to do something about it. Would it have been a deterrent? Don't know! For him, we'll never know.

Which of your words did I spin? In the Corps we not only do not leave the wounded, we take the dead out with us as well. I guess that's why the majority of the old pow/mia veterans are army. You also know that in the military everyone from the C.O. to the chaplain are subject to random drug tests. Not just a certain few as would be the case in just testing high school athletes. That's why I said test them all or test no one. How would you say we eliminate the drug users? The same way we eliminate enemy forces? No one has answered my question about what you do when a student fails a drug test. If they are an athlete I could see kicking them off the team, but it's not like you could kick them out of school. The only real deterrent to drug use would be execution. If you are not going to execute these people who fail drug tests in high school, you don't accomplish too much do you?

If you are so worried about your kids doing drugs why don't you test them? That was my original point. It is our responsibility as parents to parent. Are you really going to rely on the school system to raise your kids for you? I know I'm not. Like I told all the other morons who say "you must be on drugs since you're against testing", if you want to pay for the tests, come to my house and we'll all pee for you. Will that make you feel better? I know times have changed in the years since I graduated, but when I was in school athletes were the best and brightest of what schools had to offer. To single them out is'nt just unfair, it is just plain stupid. Test everyone or test no one.

I don't worry just about my kids...believe me my kids are well aware that I have access to do a urine drug screen in my home at any time . But alot of other parents do not have that access and what's even worse are the ones that don't really give a crap. Those are the kids I worry about.

As far as me paying for your tests....no thanks I already pay for the ones my kids are required to take in the form of taxes. Believe me I would much rather my taxes go toward helping to ensure our kids are safe and healthy then some of the other stuff it could be wasted on. I just don't see your point....you think they are picking on athletes...that is the farthest thing from the truth. I know our school district is trying to ensure the safety of the students who are at the highest risk for serious injury. It makes perfect sense to me....and to most others on this board.

You must have gone to school a long time ago then...because although there are still kids that are the best and brightest, there is a tremendous amount of peer pressure that even these "best and brightest" kids can buckle under . Just this past season we had 2 of our best players kicked off the team right before the biggest game of the regular season because of alcohol and another of our best players suspended during the playoffs for being at a party where arrests were made for underage drinking and drugs. See even these best and brightest kids do things their parents and the community would never think they would do. Those could have been my kids or even yours and that was with drug testing in place....I shudder to think of how bad things could get without it.

Edited by Lions4ever

I don't worry just about my kids...believe me my kids are well aware that I have access to do a urine drug screen in my home at any time . But alot of other parents do not have that access and what's even worse are the ones that don't really give a crap. Those are the kids I worry about.

As far as me paying for your tests....no thanks I already pay for the ones my kids are required to take in the form of taxes. Believe me I would much rather my taxes go toward helping to ensure our kids are safe and healthy then some of the other stuff it could be wasted on. I just don't see your point....you think they are picking on athletes...that is the farthest thing from the truth. I know our school district is trying to ensure the safety of the students who are at the highest risk for serious injury. It makes perfect sense to me....and to most others on this board.

You must have gone to school a long time ago then...because although there are still kids that are the best and brightest, there is a tremendous amount of peer pressure that even these "best and brightest" kids can buckle under . Just this past season we had 2 of our best players kicked off the team right before the biggest game of the regular season because of alcohol and another of our best players suspended during the playoffs for being at a party where arrests were made for underage drinking and drugs. See even these best and brightest kids do things their parents and the community would never think they would do. Those could have been my kids or even yours and that was with drug testing in place....I shudder to think of how bad things could get without it.

You are right, every high schooler can give into peer pressure and do drugs. That is why everyone needs to be subject to testing. I am not against drug testing. I would bet that I've taken more drug tests than anyone on here. I even requested our unit take a drug test when I was in the Marines because I knew of people doing drugs. The last thing I wanted was to be in a helicopter that a pothead had been working on. As far as athletes being the most at risk, I would bet that more kids are injured in car wrecks than playing sports. I still do not understand how a football player drinking a beer or smoking a joint on Saturday is going to have an affect on him playing football on Friday night. I know that they should not do it, but neither should any other high schooler. Now if athletes were to be tested for steroids or any drug that would give them an unfair advantage on the playing field, I would care about that. BTW I graduated in '93 and I know we had some athletes doing drugs, but not as many as in the regular student body. Does anyone else get pop-ups when they log on to coacht.com?

As to the 'pop ups' yes I would if I didn't have a pop up blocker, but it does slow the site WAY down when trying to access it. I thought it was just me because I am still on dial up. I timed it Monday and it took me 10 minutes just to sign on here. Did give me time to make a sandwich though. :)

mikey65, about the bet to having taken more drug test. I will take it! Took more than 100 personally and had to administer more than 1000. You have to take LOTS of tests when you have a 'crypto' clearance. :thumb: