High School Drug Screen

eaglesin08

That's where you are wrong! Playing sports isn't listed anywhere in the Bill of Rights... not even under the persuit of happiness. IT IS A privilage and nothing more.

As for home schooling your kids, that all well and good but do you expect them to be included in all the school activities? Don't take offense just asking.

I do not think having an abortion is listed in the bill of rights either is it? Who decides which students get to play sports and who does'nt? I'm not talking about starting or even making the team, but I want to know who tells a kid he or she cannot go out for a team. I'll save some of you the trouble and say I know guys cannot play on girls teams and you cannot be over a certain age. Let's say there are 5 high school freshmen that meet all the requirement to play sports. Could his principle tell 1 of them that they could not go out for the basketball team with no reason?

As far as my kids participating in school activities, I do not know if they are or not. That depends on them. Hopefully the laws will change so that home schooled kids can participate in school activties like sports and music. After all our tax dollars go to public schools regardless of whether or not we have kids in public schools.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't bother to read all of the posts, but a few of them I did.

My thoughts......which are worth very little are that yes, drug testing should be a part of any and all school paid activities. Not only sports but also the band, cheerleaders, etc. Any school funded activities that we, as taxpayers, are footing the bill for such. Simple as that. Sports should not be singled out.

I didn't bother to read all of the posts, but a few of them I did.

My thoughts......which are worth very little are that yes, drug testing should be a part of any and all school paid activities. Not only sports but also the band, cheerleaders, etc. Any school funded activities that we, as taxpayers, are footing the bill for such. Simple as that. Sports should not be singled out.

Why should we as taxpayers be paying for drug tests?

How do you think schools get thier funding? If schools are going to fund activities for the kids they should be respectful enough to be 'strait' when being honored by being able to participate in such activities. Drug testing can be done very inexpensively if handled correctly and I think, we, as the funders of the educational process, deserve to have kids who are 'strait' participate in any school funded event. Just my opionion taxpayer. If not, report to the IRS office immediately :blink:

oh yea Mikey.........not much in life is free.

Why should we as taxpayers pay for a nurse at the school? Why should we pay for lunch's for underprivledged kids? Why should we pay for footabll uniforms? Heck, why should we pay for anything? Outlaw taxes........

Ole Dad

How do you think schools get thier funding? If schools are going to fund activities for the kids they should be respectful enough to be 'strait' when being honored by being able to participate in such activities. Drug testing can be done very inexpensively if handled correctly and I think, we, as the funders of the educational process, deserve to have kids who are 'strait' participate in any school funded event. Just my opionion taxpayer. If not, report to the IRS office immediately :thumb:

oh yea Mikey.........not much in life is free.

Do you think the drug tests should also test for alcohol or tobacco as well? These are illegal for high schoolers also. I agree with you though that if athletes are tested then all students should be. Do you think the employees of the school system should be tested as well. I'd love to hear about that coming out of the Cowtown school board meeting.

Why should we as taxpayers pay for a nurse at the school? Why should we pay for lunch's for underprivledged kids? Why should we pay for footabll uniforms? Heck, why should we pay for anything? Outlaw taxes........

Ole Dad

We should pay for a school nurse to take care of kids in case they get hurt or sick at school. Immediate care could end up saving money. I do not know that we should pay for lunch for underprivledged (sic) kids. If football teams are not making money for their schools then we should'nt be buying their uniforms. I grew up playing on some economically challenged football teams that got used uniforms and equipment from other schools. I would bet that most football teams could raise money for uniforms if they had to like some other sports and activities do. How many times have you seen cheerleaders having a car wash to raise money for a competition?

My point exactly. If the program is self sufficient then your taxes don't pay for crap. And drug testing is at the choice of those in charge.

Ole Dad

We should pay for a school nurse to take care of kids in case they get hurt or sick at school. Immediate care could end up saving money. I do not know that we should pay for lunch for underprivledged (sic) kids. If football teams are not making money for their schools then we should'nt be buying their uniforms. I grew up playing on some economically challenged football teams that got used uniforms and equipment from other schools. I would bet that most football teams could raise money for uniforms if they had to like some other sports and activities do. How many times have you seen cheerleaders having a car wash to raise money for a competition?

I completely disagree with you Mikey on just about every point. I'm sorry man but I have kids that participate in athletics and I for one find alot of comfort in knowing that the team mate my kid is going to depend upon to protect him/her is not abusing drugs or alcohol. Accidents happen all the time, but why risk my kids safety behind a blocker thats high or nursing a hang-over. Or my daughter that is going to be thrown into the air and hopefully caught by someone who is fully alert and at the top of her game.

Oh and here's another thing they do at my kid's school that should just break your liberal heart....they do back-ground checks on every athlete for drug or alcohol arrests and don't allow those kids to participate in sports...and they even do this for the Jr. High kids too! If something does happen during the season, then they are drug tested and there is a zero-tolerance policy. God Bless America and the taxes I will gladly pay to do one more thing to try to ensure my kids safety.

I completely disagree with you Mikey on just about every point. I'm sorry man but I have kids that participate in athletics and I for one find alot of comfort in knowing that the team mate my kid is going to depend upon to protect him/her is not abusing drugs or alcohol. Accidents happen all the time, but why risk my kids safety behind a blocker thats high or nursing a hang-over. Or my daughter that is going to be thrown into the air and hopefully caught by someone who is fully alert and at the top of her game.

Oh and here's another thing they do at my kid's school that should just break your liberal heart....they do back-ground checks on every athlete for drug or alcohol arrests and don't allow those kids to participate in sports...and they even do this for the Jr. High kids too! If something does happen during the season, then they are drug tested and there is a zero-tolerance policy. God Bless America and the taxes I will gladly pay to do one more thing to try to ensure my kids safety.

Very good point.