High School Drug Screen

eaglesin08

I believe that if they are going to test the students, then they should test the coaches, teachers, etc... All the way to the school board and the superintendant. Just how drug free do they want to be???

I agree 100% Random testing for all admistrators, teachers, bus drivers ect...

I am not in favor of random testing for students who do not participate in extra curricula activities. I think that would be a civil rights legal issue.

But if a student is going to play a HS sport he or she must consent to any drug policy the governing body feels necessary to pass. Playing sports is a privilege not a right.

All play-off teams should be tested. Period.

Two weeks ago, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association became a pioneer among its peers by approving a measure to become the first state to test athletes for drugs. The drug-testing plan is expected to gain final approval early next month.

If you think drugs in sports is not a problem at the HS level, you have your head in the sand!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't afford to drug test all players, it cost around 45.00 per test, however you can test randomly or at a coaches discretion. Let's don't let this get out of hand, heck, they don't even test everyone in college.

I am not in favor of random testing for students who do not participate in extra curricula activities. I think that would be a civil rights legal issue.

But if a student is going to play a HS sport he or she must consent to any drug policy the governing body feels necessary to pass. Playing sports is a privilege not a right.

Two weeks ago, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association became a pioneer among its peers by approving a measure to become the first state to test athletes for drugs. The drug-testing plan is expected to gain final approval early next month.

If you think drugs in sports is not a problem at the HS level, you have your head in the sand!

You could do Like Coach Billy Joe Tom Bob Parker and have everyone pee in a bucket and then just test the bucket. Then it only costs $45 per team.

Ole Dad

You can't afford to drug test all players, it cost around 45.00 per test, however you can test randomly or at a coaches discretion. Let's don't let this get out of hand, heck, they don't even test everyone in college.

Well that's one way Dad. Personally when I worked I didn't want to work with or be around those who abused drugs or alcohol. Some might say I was in the alcohol catagory but I didn't show up at work drunk or drinking. For me" test em all" if they walk through the school doorway test em. If they fail kick their butts out of school. EVERYBODY... NO EXCEPTIONS students or staff.

Well that's one way Dad. Personally when I worked I didn't want to work with or be around those who abused drugs or alcohol. Some might say I was in the alcohol catagory but I didn't show up at work drunk or drinking. For me" test em all" if they walk through the school doorway test em. If they fail kick their butts out of school. EVERYBODY... NO EXCEPTIONS students or staff.

Bounder, I agree with you 100% but maybe after the 2nd time. Drug testing is a part of life it's zero tolerance in the military and at most work places that pay worth a crap it's 2 strikes and your out of work.

I know my kid has been tested several times in the last three years along with teammates. I don't want my kids around stoners at 14 to 18 years old you can raise them the best you can but pier pressure can very tempting for young people

Actually playing sports in a public school is a right, not just a privilage. That does not mean it can't be taken away or a kid can't be cut if they are no good, but every kid has the right to go out for a team.

You could look at it that way as a parent that supervises their children as you state....but what about all the parents that don't give a crap that have kids that are on the same team with your kids? How do you insure that they are not drug dealing crackheads getting your kids on drugs? I think testing is fine and I have kids also and I hope that I have done all I can to keep them drug free but I would kid myself if I didn't understand that the temptations are out there for them every day and help from all directions is a welcome addition to what I am trying to do.

Ole Dad

What about the kids that are'nt on any teams that your kids go to school with? How do you watch over them? You cannot. Take care of your own kids and do not let them get involved with the crackheads. Luckily I found a woman as old fashioned as me who believes a mother should stay at home and raise the kids, not go and put the kids in day care so she can get a job to barely pay the day care bill. Oh yeah we home-school also, so we do not have to be concened with the drug dealing crackheads at the public schools. Our oldest is only 6 so I do not think we'd have to worry about drugs yet though.

Actually playing sports in a public school is a right, not just a privilage. That does not mean it can't be taken away or a kid can't be cut if they are no good, but every kid has the right to go out for a team.

That's where you are wrong! Playing sports isn't listed anywhere in the Bill of Rights... not even under the persuit of happiness. IT IS A privilage and nothing more.

As for home schooling your kids, that all well and good but do you expect them to be included in all the school activities? Don't take offense just asking.

You are very wrong about that. If you were even half right, a coach could never kick a player off a team for any reason.

I know it is very costly to test players, but I think a randon test would be the best way to go. An I can garrentee that it will be in the new future that the TSSAA implements a program.

Years ago the military used to have 100% give a sample but only tested 10-15% tested at random, the rest were dumped. The school or coach could elect to have any player tested. But I think it would be wrong to put this program on the coaches shoulders.

You are right about college players, heck if UT tested, the program would be an even bigger disapointment IMO.

Maybe I missed something (I usually do), but, Roane Co. athletes must sign (as well as their parents) a random drug testing policy before they are allowed to participate in any athletics. Is this not regulated by TSSAA currently? If not, it must be mandated by the local school board.

I personally, as a father and coach, agree with the random drug testing. If an athlete is scared that they are going to get "popped" with a test, and that keeps them clean, I'm all for it. The one thing I would like to see mandated is for coaches, teachers, and administrators to be included in this as well. Not saying any are doing drugs, but think that they should be setting the example and be made to play by the same rules.

Maybe I missed something (I usually do), but, Roane Co. athletes must sign (as well as their parents) a random drug testing policy before they are allowed to participate in any athletics. Is this not regulated by TSSAA currently? If not, it must be mandated by the local school board.

I personally, as a father and coach, agree with the random drug testing. If an athlete is scared that they are going to get "popped" with a test, and that keeps them clean, I'm all for it. The one thing I would like to see mandated is for coaches, teachers, and administrators to be included in this as well. Not saying any are doing drugs, but think that they should be setting the example and be made to play by the same rules.

Absolutely!!!

Heck yea some teachers are doing drugs! These days the number reason teachers lose their teaching certificate is due to "Inapproapate Contact with a Minor" So if that line is being crossed what makes anyone think the adults in the school are not crossing the drug line. Most teachers are professionals and are above reproach. But the percentages are some teachers are crossing the line. I am in favor of drug testing for all athletes and teachers.