Marion County High School

Bill#49

Pardon me while I climb on my soapbox for a minute... I have a question and it is not intended in any way to make someone mad or sound disgruntled. I understand the situation that we were left in and the need to rush and find a new head coach. My question is why was there not this must attention put into finding a new head girls basketball coach and a new boys head basketball coach? (Did yall even know we had new head coaches??)I know that you have to have a teaching position open and yada yada yada but it seems that when you holler football the wheels start spinning but with the roundball it's who ever is in the school and wants to take the job gets the job. And to add to that fact I was told this year that all the HS coaches had to be in house at all times so does that effect the volleyball team as well and what will that do to the softball program. If that is the case then I am afraid that we are shooting ourselves in the foot!!! Those of you that know who I am know who I thought should have been offered either one of the positions that were open, but he was never contacted about either position eventhough the approperiate people knew he was interested in either position (maybe i am disgruntled a little.) I don't know one of the coaches but the other should be a good job with the right support and help.

I realize that football generates the most gate money but who is to say that with the right people in the right positions other sports will be able to contribute quite well.

I will say that I am ready for MC football to get back to the way it was when I was first introduced to it...the nights where you HAD to get there an hour early to get your spot on the 50, fight your way to the concession stand and hope that you make it back to you seat before the 3rd quarter starts and you actually watch the game and not just socialize. (never thought that I would say those things about MC!!!!!)) ;)

Thanks for listening..I'll climb down from my box now.

Man, that soapbox was high :D I think the girl's basketball team got a very good coach from just up the road from Marion County High and if I am not mistaken we got a very good replacement for Coach Roberts in boy's basketball. So, why fuss?

I believe the big rush for football is due to the fact that we play Murphy, NC in less then three months. The last time I looked at the calendar basketball is several months away. :P

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

Schoolboard member said Monday Chris Jones was your new Coach.

Why keep everything a big mystery major colleges aren't shrouded in this

much I know but wont tell you so.

I believe he is the number one choice right now but until things are signed on the dotted line nothing is a given.

School board members have been known to be wrong, heaven forbid. ;)

Man, that soapbox was high :P I think the girl's basketball team got a very good coach from just up the road from Marion County High and if I am not mistaken we got a very good replacement for Coach Roberts in boy's basketball. So, why fuss?

I believe the big rush for football is due to the fact that we play Murphy, NC in less then three months. The last time I looked at the calendar basketball is several months away. ;)

Not fussing just asking. From what I have been told there were no interviews for these positions like there were for the football coach so I guess that is the question, why not put it out for other coaches to apply. (I know I am fighting a loosing battle here.)

I will say that I am ready for MC football to get back to the way it was when I was first introduced to it...the nights where you HAD to get there an hour early to get your spot on the 50, fight your way to the concession stand and hope that you make it back to you seat before the 3rd quarter starts and you actually watch the game and not just socialize. (never thought that I would say those things about MC!!!!!)) ;)

Thanks for listening..I'll climb down from my box now.

That could be said about any school up and down the valley. I remember when I first started going to Sequatchie Co. games I was in the 4th grade around '89/'90 and you could go to almost any game and not find a seat and when it was a game against Marion or Bledsoe or Grundy you would have people standing three or four deep at the fence sometimes. I am afraid that will never be seen again but I hope I am wrong. I remember my first SCHS/BCHS game it was at Pikeville and I had to stand and look through the fence at the game.

Not fussing just asking. From what I have been told there were no interviews for these positions like there were for the football coach so I guess that is the question, why not put it out for other coaches to apply. (I know I am fighting a loosing battle here.)

I agree with KimP. I know who you are talking about that would have been more than qualified to lead the boys or girls basketball program at Marion County. The administration at MCHS definitely knew that he was interested, would move to the school if necessary, and was a home-town boy at that. He is a dedicated fan of all Marion County athletic programs and would have been more than dedicated to his alma mater by coaching until he couldn't coach any more. However, my understanding is that the administration did not post any basketball coaching position, did not contact him for an interview, or follow-up with him on his interest in the position. What an oversight on the MCHS administration, but I do hope that the new football coach and boys basketball coach realize the talented athletes that this person has developed at Jasper Middle School!!!! I definitely understand the urgency to hire a football coach with the first game only a few months away. I just think that the same efforts (application process) should be applied across all sports to be sure that every position is filled with the best possible candidate. I am not saying that those that have been hired to fill coaching positions are not qualified. I just feel that every one should have their fair shot. Sorry for my "soap box". I do wish all of the new coaches at MCHS the very best, whoever they may be, on the upcoming season. I will always support the purple and white, regardless of the administration oversights. Although I live too far away to make it to every game, I do keep up with my alma mater through newspapers and CoachT. Keep posting!! GO WARRIORS!!

Listen ! the last I looked on coachT there was a basketball board. As you pull in MCHS you do not see any STATE CHAMPIONSHIP signs for any other sports BUT football. Football is the biggest sport in valley, I guess that is why there is such a rush on hiring a HC for football.

I agree with KimP. I know who you are talking about that would have been more than qualified to lead the boys or girls basketball program at Marion County. The administration at MCHS definitely knew that he was interested, would move to the school if necessary, and was a home-town boy at that. He is a dedicated fan of all Marion County athletic programs and would have been more than dedicated to his alma mater by coaching until he couldn't coach any more. However, my understanding is that the administration did not post any basketball coaching position, did not contact him for an interview, or follow-up with him on his interest in the position. What an oversight on the MCHS administration, but I do hope that the new football coach and boys basketball coach realize the talented athletes that this person has developed at Jasper Middle School!!!! I definitely understand the urgency to hire a football coach with the first game only a few months away. I just think that the same efforts (application process) should be applied across all sports to be sure that every position is filled with the best possible candidate. I am not saying that those that have been hired to fill coaching positions are not qualified. I just feel that every one should have their fair shot. Sorry for my "soap box". I do wish all of the new coaches at MCHS the very best, whoever they may be, on the upcoming season. I will always support the purple and white, regardless of the administration oversights. Although I live too far away to make it to every game, I do keep up with my alma mater through newspapers and CoachT. Keep posting!! GO WARRIORS!!

In addition to finding a head coach for football and boy's and girl's basketball, Marion County High School has been going through another transition. That is hiring a new PRINCIPAL AND ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL!! Coach Al Raffo has retired as Principal of Marion County High School. Instead of getting on here and bashing the administration for this and that, check out what they are going through. Can you imaginse starting your new job and having to hire three new people in key positions before your bottom has even warmed the chair. Have patience and good things will be happen.

In addition to finding a head coach for football and boy's and girl's basketball, Marion County High School has been going through another transition. That is hiring a new PRINCIPAL AND ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL!! Coach Al Raffo has retired as Principal of Marion County High School. Instead of getting on here and bashing the administration for this and that, check out what they are going through. Can you imaginse starting your new job and having to hire three new people in key positions before your bottom has even warmed the chair. Have patience and good things will be happen.

I agree that there has been a lot of turmoil at MCHS with coaching turnover and the principal retiring. I was not "bashing" the administration. However, I do believe that there was a huge oversight in passing up a coach that had great potential, regardless of the turmoil. My main point in my "soapbox" was that I just think that every position should be treated with the same respect and attention. You can't disagree with that, can you?

I have heard several rumors about the new football coach. There are a couple of great names that I am hearing. Either would be great for the program, and hopefully bring our football program back to the powerhouse it once was. I would like to see us dominate in all sports, especially with the athletes that will be at MCHS next year. I agree, good things will happen.