Lexington Job open?

643dp

ha! I am not a big basebal fan, but do keep up with it from time to time. From what I am hearing - this is all part of the "one and done" coaches club at Lexington. Just compairing schedules - it looks like USJ is playing a tougher schedule and it shows at tournament time. Lexington has some really good players - Keck and Keck - nice combo. Too bad the school can not capitilize on its talent.

I noticed early on that Patterson played the "let the freshman play" over the players that had been committed to his program for a while. That is a double edged sword that can come to haunt you. Once the parents smell this blood, they are going to abuse the coach.

My feeling are at this time Odle (if he wants it) should be the front runner. Actually, the team that won the 2002 state championship was more his team than Patterson's. And I think Patterson would agree that he was just riding the boat as it came through at the right time. The thing about Odle is has alot of fire for the game, but sometime his own fire consumes him. I'd say Odle would be an awesome choice, but I would hope that he has tempered his choice of words around the team. Given a second chance, I believe the guy could become Lexington legend. The one thing about Terry is he is not afraid to schedule the tough teams - if I remember correctly he had Germantown on the schedule when they were almost impossible to beat. What I like about him, he fully expects to win those type of games.

I have heard rumors that Gardner went through a gauntlet of parents also at the end of the season and was considering throwing in the towel now that Mack is out. Could be an interesting year coming up for LHS fans......

You obviously misinformed about the baseball program. Let's look at their non-district schedule. Other than the district games (since you have no control over that) there's Ravenwood ( AAA State arguably the most talented team they faced all year), Oakland (one of the most storied programs in the Mid State), Siegel (led by a great coach and was a region particpant last season), Bradley Central (Greg Geren, former UT Vol coaches them...they always have a say in who goes to the State in East TN), Smryna (In this game, they Faced Sonny Gray, arguably the best Sophomore in the state, hits legit 90's), Muscle Shoals, AL (a VERY good program in N. Bama), McKenzie (class a champions, enough said), Huntingdon (Class A State), LaVergne (AAA, finished 4th in one the toughest districts in the state), Hardin Co. (tremendous tradition and nearly won 13 AAA). JCM was down this year, but they did have on good pitcher, and Lexington faced him. TCA and Madison he didn't schedule these teams, as they were part of the Sports Plus.

Look back at the 2005 schedule. Farragut, John Overton, Goodpasture, etc. Not weak.

Lexington didn't hit at the right time, but I still feel that after seeing Covington play, that Lexington was as good, it just did show that week. And Covington was obviously better than USJ about 4 or 5 straight wins proved that. Lexington faced USJ in the preseason and beat them soundly with Gant on the mound while playing without Keck.

If you know anything about Jason, he is going to play the best players no matter who they are. To me, this is the only way to be as a coach. He was never disloyal to any of his players, but pushed all of them to be the best. Making everyone accountable for their spot makes the whole team a better.

I was there with Terry, and he is a friend of mine. We never played Germantown ( we did when Derek Bartholomew was), but we did play Houston at North Side a time or two. The 2002 team may have been coached by TO at one time, but make no mistake, that team was JP's. They would run through brick walls for JP.

I have no real idea who will be the head coach, that call will be left up to the Principal, unless he gets imput from someone else. I think it will be a very important hire for the future of the program, and the right person will really thrive with all the talent coming in the next few years. I feel like Lexington has a couple more title runs in it coming pretty soon. Especially if those players all don't mysteriously transfer to any private schools.

I have no inside information on Coach Gardner, but Lexington would be a fool to run him off. He has created a buzz about Lexington Men's basketball that hasn't been there since the 70's. Personally, I like the man and he has done a good job with playing in the toughest region in the state.

Edited by bd4vols

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously misinformed about the baseball program. Let's look at their non-district schedule. Other than the district games (since you have no control over that) there's Ravenwood ( AAA State arguably the most talented team they faced all year), Oakland (one of the most storied programs in the Mid State), Siegel (led by a great coach and was a region particpant last season), Bradley Central (Greg Geren, former UT Vol coaches them...they always have a say in who goes to the State in East TN), Smryna (In this game, they Faced Sonny Gray, arguably the best Sophomore in the state, hits legit 90's), Muscle Shoals, AL (a VERY good program in N. Bama), McKenzie (class a champions, enough said), Huntingdon (Class A State), LaVergne (AAA, finished 4th in one the toughest districts in the state), Hardin Co. (tremendous tradition and nearly won 13 AAA). JCM was down this year, but they did have on good pitcher, and Lexington faced him. TCA and Madison he didn't schedule these teams, as they were part of the Sports Plus.

Look back at the 2005 schedule. Farragut, John Overton, Goodpasture, etc. Not weak.

Lexington didn't hit at the right time, but I still feel that after seeing Covington play, that Lexington was as good, it just did show that week. And Covington was obviously better than USJ about 4 or 5 straight wins proved that. Lexington faced USJ in the preseason and beat them soundly with Gant on the mound while playing without Keck.

If you know anything about Jason, he is going to play the best players no matter who they are. To me, this is the only way to be as a coach. He was never disloyal to any of his players, but pushed all of them to be the best. Making everyone accountable for their spot makes the whole team a better.

I was there with Terry, and he is a friend of mine. We never played Germantown ( we did when Derek Bartholomew was), but we did play Houston at North Side a time or two. The 2002 team may have been coached by TO at one time, but make no mistake, that team was JP's. They would run through brick walls for JP.

I have no real idea who will be the head coach, that call will be left up to the Principal, unless he gets imput from someone else. I think it will be a very important hire for the future of the program, and the right person will really thrive with all the talent coming in the next few years. I feel like Lexington has a couple more title runs in it coming pretty soon. Especially if those players all don't mysteriously transfer to any private schools.

Well said....I just didnt want to type that much. But Gardner just moved to the toughest region in the state last year. But hey...this is baseball and JP is one of the few coaches that didnt give in to politics. And you want to talk about a coach getting a buzz about his sport......JP certianly done that. Most Lexington games were standing room only. He knew how to put his team into a position to win. Except for the Seigal game, Lexington never was out of a ball game.

I have no inside information on Coach Gardner, but Lexington would be a fool to run him off. He has created a buzz about Lexington Men's basketball that hasn't been there since the 70's. Personally, I like the man and he has done a good job with playing in the toughest region in the state.

Making state tournament in baseball is not that big of a hurdle. True, it is an achievement, but if you compare it to making it in basketball - baseball.

I am jsut curious, if we have played all the storied programs - why not USJ in our on backyard?

Britt/Odle awesome combination - if Terry will just let his Britt temper his fire a bit, they would make Lexington a "storied program".

As for Gardner a program built on "smoke and mirrors" - see my comments in basketball section. Not a bad guy, just a politician. His gift would be Athletic Director not coach.

Making state tournament in baseball is not that big of a hurdle. True, it is an achievement, but if you compare it to making it in basketball - baseball.

I am jsut curious, if we have played all the storied programs - why not USJ in our on backyard?

Britt/Odle awesome combination - if Terry will just let his Britt temper his fire a bit, they would make Lexington a "storied program".

As for Gardner a program built on "smoke and mirrors" - see my comments in basketball section. Not a bad guy, just a politician. His gift would be Athletic Director not coach.

Making the State Tournament in baseball not a big hurdle? Surely you jest....

If it weren't a hard task, then why in the world, with all the great baseball talent that Lexington has had over the years, did Lexington never make it to a State Tourney before Patterson? Region 6 has one of the toughest roads to the State Tournament of anyone in the state. IF you get out of the district, you get to play an always tough team from District 11, and if you get to SubState, then there stands David Lipscomb or Marshall County. Don't tell me that is easy. I understand you may like basketball better, to each his own. But don't say that....you obviously don't know.

I'd like to see Shane coaching in Lexington...he obviously has the knowledge, and he and I are friends. I could see him succeeding. I don't know about storied, as there is more to coaching a team than knowledge of the game. But I do agree that their teams would be fun to watch, Just as JP's teams were.

I don't know what Coach Gardner has done to you, maybe not play your kid. He has done a good job and will continue to. This is from someone who doesn't follow hs basketball that much. I'm an outsider looking in, but I do know good coaching when I see it, and he has put more attention into that program than anyone else has in years. I was there the years when winning 5 games in Boys BB was a good thing. Lexington has some talent, but good grief not even close to that of Bolivar or Liberty this year, or etc. Sure they were better than Camden and Riverside, and that showed on the court. Sometimes expectations that a team will be good can lead to problems for a coach. Lexington had a bunch of decent Basketball players this year, but most of the Lexington's guys couldn't even make the team at Bolivar or Liberty.

This thread isn't about Lexington Basketball. Let's stick to the topic of Lexington baseball.

If it weren't a hard task, then why in the world, with all the great baseball talent that Lexington has had over the years, did Lexington never make it to a State Tourney before Patterson? Region 6 has one of the toughest roads to the State Tournament of anyone in the state. IF you get out of the district, you get to play an always tough team from District 11, and if you get to SubState, then there stands David Lipscomb or Marshall County. Don't tell me that is easy. I understand you may like basketball better, to each his own. But don't say that....you obviously don't know.

I'd like to see Shane coaching in Lexington...he obviously has the knowledge, and he and I are friends. I could see him succeeding. I don't know about storied, as there is more to coaching a team than knowledge of the game. But I do agree that their teams would be fun to watch, Just as JP's teams were.

I don't know what Coach Gardner has done to you, maybe not play your kid. He has done a good job and will continue to. This is from someone who doesn't follow hs basketball that much. I'm an outsider looking in, but I do know good coaching when I see it, and he has put more attention into that program than anyone else has in years. I was there the years when winning 5 games in Boys BB was a good thing. Lexington has some talent, but good grief not even close to that of Bolivar or Liberty this year, or etc. Sure they were better than Camden and Riverside, and that showed on the court. Sometimes expectations that a team will be good can lead to problems for a coach. Lexington had a bunch of decent Basketball players this year, but most of the Lexington's guys couldn't even make the team at Bolivar or Liberty.

This thread isn't about Lexington Basketball. Let's stick to the topic of Lexington baseball.

Great reply BD!

Umm? defensive about baseball are we? Basketball supports half the other programs at LHS..... Gardner hasn't done anything to my kid - again reference the basketball threads (you sure did say alot about basketball to tell me about sticking to baseball......) . As for baseball state tournament being big time, truthfully, I am biased toward basketball and football . Honestly though, if getting to the state is such a major accomplishment why doesn't the major D1 colleges see it as that way? By looking at the schedules - who plays the tougher schedule - USJ or LHS? The floor is yours - please no sermons on basketball, this is baseball......

Why even reply, everything was done as everyone seen how much you know. LHS basketball barely supports itself. Football at Lexington is the major draw. Basketball, or Baseball aren't even a close second as far as income, but LHS is one of the few baseball programs in the area that charges to even get in the gate, and enough is seen once you enter the park as their side is PACKED, and the visitor side usually at least half full of LHS fans, not to mention the visiting crowd.....

And the reason most DI schools aren't in favor of signing seniors in h.s is because at the DI level, if they are a program in contension of making a run, they have to reload every year with capable players via junior college. They have to have battle tested players ready to play immediately, h.s. players generally have 2 years of growing and adjustment before they begin to prosper. Only the most prolific high school players are signed at the DI level, and even then those DI programs consider them "projects" at best. There is so much pressure to win now in the college ranks, as you can see where it has begun to trinkle down into the NAIA ranks, who is quickly rising on the competitive level and will continue to in the near future. Baseball is such a slower developing sport. By that I mean, is from a professional stand, where as you have to spend so much time below the major league level, developing, maturing, adjusting, learning, etc...and doing it over and over. As opposed to football where you go straight from college to NFL, and basketball the same way. Seeing athletes go straight from h.s. is very rare in those two sports, and really non-existant in football. But it's a basically, go to college, succeed to a level of the athlete's potential expectation, and then go. In baseball, it's all the previous steps, then repeat until desired skill assessment is reached> then go.

Umm? defensive about baseball are we? Basketball supports half the other programs at LHS..... Gardner hasn't done anything to my kid - again reference the basketball threads (you sure did say alot about basketball to tell me about sticking to baseball......) . As for baseball state tournament being big time, truthfully, I am biased toward basketball and football . Honestly though, if getting to the state is such a major accomplishment why doesn't the major D1 colleges see it as that way? By looking at the schedules - who plays the tougher schedule - USJ or LHS? The floor is yours - please no sermons on basketball, this is baseball......

I'm not defensive, but I do want to set you straight about a few things regarding Lexington baseball. Explain to me just exactly how much money LHS baseball gets from LHS basketball? Better yet, explain exactly how much any sport gets from any other sport at LHS. You see, I worked at the school for 7 years, coached there, and so I know how the athletic department works there. Each sport is self-sufficient, meaning that what ever you raise, your sport gets. If basketball has a fundraiser and makes $10,000, it gets to keep all $10,000 for basketball and shares none of it with baseball. How long have you lived in Lexington? Do you know anything about the history of the town? Do you know how cyclical the town's sports programs have been? Do you know that over the years, the one steady program at LHS has been the baseball program?

Getting to the state tournament is a big deal in any sport. It is what you work all season for. Every single team has that as their ultimate goal, with some being more realistic than others. Why don't more D1 colleges come? Most are in their conference tournaments at the same time. IF they weren't they'd be somewhere scouting you can bet on that.

Comparing schedules, both are equally tough. But if you really want your son to play that "tougher" schedule, call the admissions office at USJ, call your realtor and sell your Lexington house, move to Jackson, enroll at USJ, and have a blast.

Also, if you really wanted to play USJ so much, you should have told your son to not get that bunt down against Harpeth in the Region Finals. Lexington could have lost, played and beaten David Lipscomb in the Sectional, and then matched up with USJ in the 1st round of the state.

Say what you want about Coach Patterson, run him down all you want. But I will bet you this.....He will defend your son until the day the Lord comes for him.

I'm not defensive, but I do want to set you straight about a few things regarding Lexington baseball. Explain to me just exactly how much money LHS baseball gets from LHS basketball? Better yet, explain exactly how much any sport gets from any other sport at LHS. You see, I worked at the school for 7 years, coached there, and so I know how the athletic department works there. Each sport is self-sufficient, meaning that what ever you raise, your sport gets. If basketball has a fundraiser and makes $10,000, it gets to keep all $10,000 for basketball and shares none of it with baseball. How long have you lived in Lexington? Do you know anything about the history of the town? Do you know how cyclical the town's sports programs have been? Do you know that over the years, the one steady program at LHS has been the baseball program?

Getting to the state tournament is a big deal in any sport. It is what you work all season for. Every single team has that as their ultimate goal, with some being more realistic than others. Why don't more D1 colleges come? Most are in their conference tournaments at the same time. IF they weren't they'd be somewhere scouting you can bet on that.

Comparing schedules, both are equally tough. But if you really want your son to play that "tougher" schedule, call the admissions office at USJ, call your realtor and sell your Lexington house, move to Jackson, enroll at USJ, and have a blast.

Also, if you really wanted to play USJ so much, you should have told your son to not get that bunt down against Harpeth in the Region Finals. Lexington could have lost, played and beaten David Lipscomb in the Sectional, and then matched up with USJ in the 1st round of the state.

Say what you want about Coach Patterson, run him down all you want. But I will bet you this.....He will defend your son until the day the Lord comes for him.

BDVOLS you are being a little personal when you talk about people's son and bunts them layed down. It appears that you are mistaken on who you think Hackashaq is. My son had the last at bat againist Harpeth and I don't think it's any of your concern where he plays baseball or who his coach is,You have made it very clear that Jason Patterson is a friend of yours and thats great. Best of luck to you both.