Official rule on hands as part of the bat

Imatiger

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have the official ruling? I have seen it happen too many times, but it seems like every time the umpire has a different view of the rule. I would really like to know what it says in the rulebook but I can't find it. Anybody got a clue?

I agree. There is a different rule for each ump.

I even seen this happen in the WCWS this weekend. I would like to know the official rule also.

the hands are a part of the bat ONLY if the batter is swinging if the batter is swinging it is a foul ball if the batter is not swinging it is a dead ball and the batter get their base

Bingo. That is the exact interpretation.

I coached a team a few years ago and one of my kids was nailed on the back of the hand. The ump called foul ball. We showed him the HUGE goose-egg that was coming up on his hand. He said the hands are part of the bat. I said that his hands are not made of aluminum and his last name was not Easton ... in a not so nice tone. I got tossed. That ump won't admit his mistake to this day as we laugh about it quite often - even when I show him true interpretations of the rule ... on paper.

the hands are a part of the bat ONLY if the batter is swinging if the batter is swinging it is a foul ball if the batter is not swinging it is a dead ball and the batter get their base

The hands are NEVER a part of the bat. The hands are the hands and the bat is the bat. If the batter swings, he/she is swinging the bat, the hands are only connected to it. If the batter isn't swinging and is hit in the hand, the ball hit him in the hand even if the hand was holding the bat. The hands are NEVER a part of the bat, EVER!

HUH?

Foul ball?

What if the ball went fair?

If a batter swings and the pitch makes contact with the batter, it is a DEAD BALL STRIKE.

As cats said, the hands are never part of the bat.

When the day comes when a batter drops his bat and his hands fall with it then they might have to change this rule.

Couldn't have said it better myself.........LOL!

It's very easy to understand, If the batter is swinging at the pitch and the ball hits him it is a strike.... If he is avoiding it and gets hit, a ball.......There is no such rule as a batters hand being part of the bat.....If you have heard this please change you're mind very quick, it will get you in trouble very quick calling ball..It's the most stupid saying around...Ask someone to drop a bat and see if the hand is with it......Get real.....

The only way U have a strike is if the batter is commiting to hit the ball and it touches him, a strike...if it hits his hand and he is not commiting its a ball. No matter the size of the swelling.....

HUH?

Foul ball?

What if the ball went fair?

If a batter swings and the pitch makes contact with the batter, it is a DEAD BALL STRIKE.

As cats said, the hands are never part of the bat.

When the day comes when a batter drops his bat and his hands fall with it then they might have to change this rule.

Im sorry i was putting it into terms of which everyone is more familiar with i thought i had explained it well for the avreage fan to understand. The reason i said foul ball is because it is like it hit the batter in the box which the average parent or kid(which is who we are talking too ) would understand what i was meaning they also understand more of a foul ball than a DEAD BALL STRIKE and the techinical terms i am sorry if i confused you in some way to where what i said wasnt exact i was just putting it into simple terms witha quick explanation!!

I will try to do a better job next time

Im sorry i was putting it into terms of which everyone is more familiar with i thought i had explained it well for the avreage fan to understand. The reason i said foul ball is because it is like it hit the batter in the box which the average parent or kid(which is who we are talking too ) would understand what i was meaning they also understand more of a foul ball than a DEAD BALL STRIKE and the techinical terms i am sorry if i confused you in some way to where what i said wasnt exact i was just putting it into simple terms witha quick explanation!!

You did fine Riverdaleman. Thanks!

rule from the official MLB and USSSA rule books

The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when --

B. He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball;v If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

This pretty much sums it up...if it is in the strike zone when it hits his hands (or anywhere else) then its a strike whether he fouls it off or tries to get out of the way or not. We've all seen the hitters that hang over the plate or keep their hands waist high. If its out of the strike zone when it hits him and he tries to get out of the way, even if its on his hands, then he takes first base.

Edited by Lions4ever

and what are you going to say if the count is 0-2 on the batter and this happens?