Class 5A: Region 4 Favorites

CoachT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

.. I mean there MIGHT be a special needs situation where a exemption might be the right thing to do, but they are too easy to get

unless you want to go to Riverdale and you CANT get one to go to Riverdale but as we all know RIverdale does have the greatest student body and falculty in the state of TN so everybody wants to go there

Edited by riverdaleman

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll give it a go.

1. Riverdale- Until someone proves they can beat them I can't put them anywhere else.

2. Smyrna- The talent requires they be in the top two. This is their year to win it all, if they are going to do it in the near future. The upcoming sophomore class will cost Sonny and Co. next year.

3. Wilson Central- They could finish anywhere between here and 6th. Lots of questions have to be answered. How big an effect is the coaching change going to have? How will Majors come back from the knee injury late last year Those are the two big ones.

4. Oakland- The combination of experienced Seniors and Sophomores who expect to win very time out will make them a dangerous team.

5. LaVergne- I know I am one of the few who don't think they have a realistic shot at winning the district. I think they come back down to Earth after playing over their head's last year. With that being said they can finish as high as third.

6. Lebanon- They are coming and coming soon. I just think it will be another year before it happens.

7. Siegel- Them being in the seven slot shows the depth of this region. They would battle for the 2 spot in Region 3.

8. Blackman- They will beat someone and cost them the playoffs. They have two of the top ten players in the region, but not enough to go with them.

I think 3 thru 7 are very tight and could fininsh in almost any order, but thats how I see them before the season starts.

Guest Cutters Crazies

i agree with most of this but blackman in last blackman will be "NEXT" to last and siegel will be in last as i have posted in the past

yeah you don't have an Oakland bias do you????

3. Riverdale- not as near as intimidating as in the past. Tons of talent lost and no returning DB's and only one returning O-linemen. A lot of coaching changes including head. Will be talented but will not beat Smyrna or LaVergne, plus they have to go to their house this year and both teams are gonna be fired up to play them.

riverdale did loose ALOT of talent, but its agreed among alot of coachTers that riverdales depth has given them the edge alot in their reign this past decade and a half. with alot of that depth returning, finding talent will NOT be a problem. you are forgetting that alot of our guys who will be starting for the first time this year are polished, proven players, because in alot of games last year they played just as much as the starters. our 2nd year starters, i dont really have to say anything in their defense because yall are very aware of what they are capible of.

about our offensive line, we got some BIGGG dudes. very confident in their abilities, and they have only gotten quicker and stronger since the last time i saw them in action. travis lilenthaw, starting center, let me know tonight that he is competing hard to keep his job right now. that is a GREAT sign, because while i feel like he will beat out his competition, i didnt think we would be that deep on the o-line this year but it shows that their is other talent besides the first string. travis will be a force this year, big fella and he was the top o-lineman from the sophmore class last year and saw the field enough to get some good experience last year. the rest of the o-line will be very solid too, right guard tim grove is a proven player. also i have heard that aydelott is experimenting with using the d-lineman on the other side of the ball, something rankin did not do for the most part.

DBs, well SCN08 has let us all know how fast they are, i can vouch that all those guys are very quick and agile and its great to hear that they are still building speed. all of the guys get to the ball and are capible of making plays any and every play. only bad thing is with the exception of scott thomas and dominique reed, i dont think any of them are over 5'10. that will not hold them back though. monty newsome is a proven player also, the boy can lay a HIT, and alot of coachTers can vouch for that also, i know us riverdalers have seen it and 2p has also mentioned monty's ability to lay a hit before also.

having a new coach this year will not bring any loses for that single reason. riverdale might not match last years record, but it will not be because of the coaching. i think they can match last years record and might even go beyond that, but i'll get back to the subject at hand. aydelott just entered a region new to him and is already the best coach. we all know that his resume includes a state championship, if thats not enough, well, none of the coaches in this region have proven they can be consistant. alexander was building a program at WC and had proven that not only could he be consistant but go above and beyond previous years. he's gone, so now we will talk about shadowens. shadowens has proven he can be consistant, at UNDERACHIEVING. 2 consecutive years, majority has voted smyrna would place 2nd in the region under riverdale (some even voted for them to win the region), they've had the talent to match those predictions, but they have fallen short to that by placing behind lebanon in '04 and WC in '05. so before even the first snap this year, aydelott is already the best coach in the region.

my region predictions - COMING SOON. guess who will be at the top of that list :)

Guest Cutters Crazies

Man 2p, Tackett really busted those Siegel kids didn't he? I hope Mr. Hornsby wasn't counting on those dimes for every Siegel kid living out of zone on his income. He might struggling. Only 3 kids who went to Siegel are being forced to go to Oakland. Hope Oakland got their message across by sending that "firm" message lol

you must watch that highlight video toooooo much and forgot about the game and KG

i remember the game very well i remember caled taking that lazy pass all the way and Keiths stiff arm to Josh Flemings face and and knocking him on the ground before running to the endzone and then yeah i remember that final score also 20-14

smyrna has had d-1 athletes the last few yrs . they had the talent 4 sure 2 win. they have had zonin breaks, talent, & not got it done.may-b time 2 replace the hc?

seems like as an oakland fan you would have a few things to take care of at home before worrying about how others are "not getting done."

Smyrna has beaten the follwing teams in the last 3 yrs

gallatin ( at gallatin)

brentwood (at brentwood)

lincoln county ( 2 years in a row at lc)

hendersonville ( last time they were a pre season top 5 team)

columbia ( rated in the top 10 in the state at the time before their stud got hurt)

and

In the last 3 years (other than riverdale) Smyrna has not lost a single game to another rutherford county team and has only lost 2 region games and has made it to the second round of the playoffs every year during that span also

oakland vs smyrna last 3 years 0 and 3

blackman vs smyrna last 3years 0 and 3

siegel vs smyrna last 3 years 0 and 3

lavergne vs smyrna last 3 years 0 and 3

wilson cen vs smyrna last 3 years 1 and 2

lebanon vs smyrna last 3 years 1 and 2

riverdale vs smyrna last 3 years 3 and 0

I guess if smyrna was going to change coaches there is only one in the group that would stand out and my guess is he wouldn't leave after one yr at riverdale

get used to it Philip Shadowens - the dean of region 4 coaches my guess would be he has more region 4 wins than all the other coaches combined.

you are right about one thing as far as smyrna and coaching. last yr they may have been the only 5a team with about 3 or 4 coaches with the hc being offensive and defensive coordinator.

Well that has been fixed this year and for once Smyrna is " loaded' with coaches and this will certainly make sure all that talent is better fundamentally in every phase. just by watching the first few practices it is plain to see their is a new attitude and a new way of doing things at Smyrna.

I think as above the Smyrna hc record speaks for itself and now that he finally has a complete staff of football coaches the final piece to get over the hump is now in place.

Edited by 82cat

Man 2p, Tackett really busted those Siegel kids didn't he? I hope Mr. Hornsby wasn't counting on those dimes for every Siegel kid living out of zone on his income. He might struggling. Only 3 kids who went to Siegel are being forced to go to Oakland. Hope Oakland got their message across by sending that "firm" message lol

Amusing that you always put the Siegel slant on everything. Here is the first sentence copied and pasted from the DNJ article from today:

Five students who attended Siegel High out of zone will be forced to return to Oakland High in the coming year, a district spokesman said.

"I hope it will send a message," said James Evans, who also oversees zone exemption applications for Rutherford County Schools.

Now...I realize I am old....but it CLEARLY says in the DNJ FIVE. Yet you stated there were 3 in your above post. hahhahaha....get your facts straight b/f you try to sound off next time. The bottom line is that NOLAN said there were NONE and he was WRONG /and or LYING.

Cat, I know we have things to take care of at home. However, I have heard many a folk say some of the exact same things that oland said in his post. Fact of the matter is that some fans just can't be satisfied no matter what, can they?

Edited by 2priceless

Guest Cutters Crazies
Only 3 kids who went to Siegel are being forced to go to Oakland

Classic example of not actually reading what I said. Only 3 kids WHO WENT TO SIEGEL. The other two went to Siegel middle but never attended as it clearly says right here near the end of the article

"Two are rising freshmen who never attended Siegel and will have to go to Oakland even though they have siblings at Siegel High."

Next time lets read thoroughly and try and comprehend what we read.

Don't skirt the issue......Nolan guaranteed there were none.......nada. Guess what......THERE WERE.....whether it was one or 500, he guaranteed NONE.

Butch doesn't play games , and he, unlike Nolan, was never fired as a coach b/c HE knows how to win.

Ps....for those who don't know....Nolan was fired twice as HC.

Hahhaahahahahahahahaha