Strange things that have happened in a high school game

REBELRON

Wow, these are great fellas, keep them coming.

One time when the players where running back onto the field coming into the 2nd Half, a person in the middle of the line tripped over the lip of grass, 5 players fell..

In the locker room one time, a kid slipped, fell, and was out for the season..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a bizarre one for you. My freshman year (during the '99 season), we were playing Oneida and it was an uncharacteristically BAD year for Coalfield. Anyway, we lost 2 players for the season before the National Anthem. One of them broke his arm (I believe) by trying to catch a ball during warm-ups (CYJacket, jdavis77, or CMS could remember what happened to the first player better than I could.) and the 2nd injury occured when Coalfield broke through the paper sign. I THINK what happened was the cheerleaders taped the bottom of the sign with duct tape and one of the players tripped over it and broke HIS arm. All this was before the National Anthem!

I've got a bizarre one for you. My freshman year (during the '99 season), we were playing Oneida and it was an uncharacteristically BAD year for Coalfield. Anyway, we lost 2 players for the season before the National Anthem. One of them broke his arm (I believe) by trying to catch a ball during warm-ups (CYJacket, jdavis77, or CMS could remember what happened to the first player better than I could.) and the 2nd injury occured when Coalfield broke through the paper sign. I THINK what happened was the cheerleaders taped the bottom of the sign with duct tape and one of the players tripped over it and broke HIS arm. All this was before the National Anthem!

GGGGGEEEEZ..almost made you want to get back on the bus, huh?

They were a Landrum boy and a Bauer boy. Bauer actually dilocated his shoulder running through the tunnel at home. Landrum during warm-ups broke his arm earlier the same night. I saw Baure, but missed the Landrum injury. It was an incredibly bad night, to top off a relatively poor season. I was razzin' Bauer about two months ago over this and his dad and I were laughing. It wasn't funny then, but all things change perspective with time. He's over it now but stated all he wanted to do was to get the shoulder back in place and get back to the game. Needless to say, that didn't work.

It happened again a couple of years later when the ambulance had to haul another kid off with a dislocated hip while going for a pass during warmups. The year and night was much better in that situation.

Not strange, but humorous....

MBA versus unnamed Metro Nashville team during the mid-80s:

Official: MBA captain, head or tails?

MBA Captain: Tails.

(Coin flip)

Official: Tails it is. Kick, receive, or defer?

MBA Captain: Defer to the second half.

Official: (Metro team) captain, what's your choice?

Metro Team Captain: We defer, too.

:thumb:

At a ballgame in Bruceton several years ago. you know on cold night some people want to set in their cars and stay warm. Well after halftime the teams came back onto the field and this older man shifted his car into drive and the car went onto the field. several fans and players got caught under the car. That stopped the cars being parked around the field.

I also recall something that happened at Wartburg quite a while back (I think in '95 or '96). It was homecoming and they were playing Tellico Plains. Usually Wartburg games have decent crowds, but this one was huge for some reason. I remember my dad and I driving by the school and cars were parked about a half a mile back. Apparently that night the bleachers collapsed at halftime. I remember the last couple games at Wartburg that year people had to bring lawn chairs. Thank God nobody was seriously injured.

• 2 months later...

I have only heard this story, but awhile back, in the late 70's maybe, scott high was playing and there was a low fog. the fog was so bad that the players and refs could not see well at all. scott high was punting, a player on the opposing team ran by the punter with his hand up to make sure that it wasn't a fake. the punter fell down on purpose, got the penalty, giving scott the first down.

• 4 weeks later...