If you were a HS VB coach...

Cowboys Up

Strong offense would be my pick. A great jump server or a consistant deep floater will produce alot of free balls coming back over the net. Follow these types of serves up with a fake block, then roll out for the forth coming free ball and chances are you'll get the easy pass, which inturn sets up great sets, which then allows for smart shots or big power. The key here is that the average offense isn't really worth blocking, and a strong offense is, thus leaving the coach who faces a strong offense with no option but to block or get hammered off the court. The option to block or not is critical, and laying back and picking up free balls does not require a great defense anyway, it actually plays into the hands of a great offense because they are already set in the hitting lanes,with a full approach at their disposal. Besides a great offense can learn to hit around the block or tool, whereas a great defense with an average offense has already done all it can do ie: digging or blocking balls up to an average offense, which inturns produces another free ball. Great offense and serving... hands down every time.

Forgive me if my memory is bad but I believe Flight was the one who started up the whole conversation about "Six Pack" awhile back, so no surprise that he / she is picking "O". No doubt that a big kill is going to get at least a slightly better response (ok quite a bit bigger response, in most cases) than a great "dig" but after having observed a bit of Vball, I do have to go with the "D", especially at the High School level. But I do feel that as the level of play goes up (middle school to high school to college) the preference may change.

Edited by VballDaddy78

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strong offense would be my pick. A great jump server or a consistant deep floater will produce alot of free balls coming back over the net. Follow these types of serves up with a fake block, then roll out for the forth coming free ball and chances are you'll get the easy pass, which inturn sets up great sets, which then allows for smart shots or big power. The key here is that the average offense isn't really worth blocking, and a strong offense is, thus leaving the coach who faces a strong offense with no option but to block or get hammered off the court. The option to block or not is critical, and laying back and picking up free balls does not require a great defense anyway, it actually plays into the hands of a great offense because they are already set in the hitting lanes,with a full approach at their disposal. Besides a great offense can learn to hit around the block or tool, whereas a great defense with an average offense has already done all it can do ie: digging or blocking balls up to an average offense, which inturns produces another free ball. Great offense and serving... hands down every time.

The hypothetical is that serving is equal. Would that change your choice?

The hypothetical is that serving is equal. Would that change your choice?

At the H.S. level, no.

I'm pretty sure the top H.S. vballers are doing quite well to exceed 45 mph hits. These are VERY diggable balls anyway, does not require an excellent defensive player to pop up this level of power. In my years of playing I've seen lots of first year players and even average atheletes from other sports be able to use their hand to eye co-ordination and quickness to get great (lucky) digs, off of very powerfull A and open level hits, whereas getting a powerfull hit inbounds usually takes years to master, and for many, just due to physical limitations alone (ie heigth, strength) will never be able to achieve real power (worth blocking).

Again, for me it's a matter of chosing when and when not to block , and having that choice, is why I believe the excellent offense has the excellent defense beat. When you are forced to try and block every ball it opens up all kinds of options for the attacking team, ie: dinks, tools, forced touches...none of these weapons work on a defensive team that sits back and either fake blocks or waits on free balls or sub-powerfull hits.

What this hypothetical is really asking is would your chances of winning be greater with excellent passes(off serve), excellent sets and dominant hits, or would your chances of winning be greater with excellent blocks, diggs, and coverage. Many times the block will interfere with what would have been an easy up anyway, so again, you have to ask yourself "Do we really need to block this player", and if the answer is no, then , as a coach..this is a good thing.

The old one,two three; great bumps(off serve), great sets, and great hits is what has definded volleyball. When volleyball was serve and side-out, prior to rally scoring, digging and blocking was what you did after you sided out, if you didn't have the offensive skills to side out, you didn't get the chance to serve and you didn't score, therfore you lost.

Just because the scoring changed, doesn't mean it's not the same sport it has always been, it may be easier for great defenses to score points now, but the advantage, hands down, still goes to the great offensive team.

:huh:

:huh::D:o

One thing is becoming very obvious after reading a lot of these threads on Coacht volleyball. T may not be getting 1/3 of the players who play College/University after high school to sign up that they have gotten a grant. Not exactly that way in Basketball or other sports or is it? The numbers are misleading in volleyball and maybe the reason is coaches keep these contacts to themselves as it looks as if Colleges/universities are going back to the well to get other players from the good coaches or clubs. Makes you appreciate more the work a great club or a great coach does with its players. This sport is really taking off and for a young player who loves to compete and wants to find a school that can utilize her talents and help pay her way thru school, this could be an option.

I am going to have to agree with Siegel's coach - Clifford.

It all starts with the pass. Most high school teams do not pass that well, however, if you have a good setter that is quick and athletic, it helps solve that problem a little.

Unfortunately, volleyball is a sport for those who are economically advantaged. The best way to learn fundamentals and become a good player, is to play club and most people can't afford it or go broke doing it. For a few lucky ones, the investment in club turns out to be a good one - when their daughter gets a scholarship, but many kids can't afford to even make the investment.

That is why Germantown and Brentwood will always have a chance to be good. Most of the students from those areas are able to afford to pay the outrageous club fees and travel cost. Look at the best teams in the state and ask yourself - what is the average income of the parents of the players? It is up there baby.........

So, in addition to defense, if I were to become a H.S. voleeyball coach, I would move to a wealthly area and become a coach or get busy with fund raisers and help my athletic girls who can't afford to play club.

Unfortunately, volleyball is a sport for those who are economically advantaged. The best way to learn fundamentals and become a good player, is to play club and most people can't afford it or go broke doing it. For a few lucky ones, the investment in club turns out to be a good one - when their daughter gets a scholarship, but many kids can't afford to even make the investment.

That is why Germantown and Brentwood will always have a chance to be good. Most of the students from those areas are able to afford to pay the outrageous club fees and travel cost. Look at the best teams in the state and ask yourself - what is the average income of the parents of the players? It is up there baby.........

So, in addition to defense, if I were to become a H.S. voleeyball coach, I would move to a wealthly area and become a coach or get busy with fund raisers and help my athletic girls who can't afford to play club.

Did Nikki James from Cookeville play club ball this past year?

I don't think so. If she did, she did not play for Impact or Dig to Win.

Then that is probably unfortunate (to some extent) because I am a firm believer that "club" is where the players get seen. Yes, I may be somewhat "biased" because that's how things worked out for my daughter but most College coaches have trouble getting out to see High Schoolers because the HS and College seasons are going on at the same time. Also, I don't agree with your assesment that "club" ball is only available to the well off. I know in many clubs they have opportunities available for everyone.

Edited by VballDaddy78

Then that is probably unfortunate (to some extent) because I am a firm believer that "club" is where the players get seen. Yes, I may be somewhat "biased" because that's how things worked out for my daughter but most College coaches have trouble getting out to see High Schoolers because the HS and College seasons are going on at the same time. Also, I don't agree with your assesment that "club" ball is only available to the well off. I know in many clubs they have opportunities available for everyone.

I agree that not "all" players that play club are "well off", but if you look at the roster of the avergae club team, their family incomes are above average. How do you explain why the two best volleyball programs in the state are from Brentwood and Germantown. Is is just because they have great coaches or is it because they have players that had the opportunity to play club? Inner city teams will never be good! Never! Look at Memphis and Nashville and tell me one team that comes from a low income area and that has had a good volleyball team. The rich get richer in volleyball. The best teams will generally come from "haves" side of town. The "have nots" will always be on the outside looking in.

I agree with you concerning the need to play club. It is hard to be seen if you do not play on the national scene. The only time you see college coaches at high school games is to see a player they have already seen at club or they will come to the state tournament. Even at the state tournament, there are not as many college coaches as there are at an average club tournament.

I agree with VBallDaddy but it does cost money but so does anything in athletics that carries with it Travel Teams. It does require some sacrifice and in addition to money, a lot of time but so does everying. What does a player get from it is the answer to whether it is worth it? For some players it is evident it is something they need to pursue from a talent point of view. Sometimes it should be pursued because of the alternatives for a players time. It may be the inexpensive side of that equation. Maybe it builds on relationships between players and good role models of coaches that lasts a lifetime. What is that worth?

I'm not mentioning anything that a lot of parents, friends, don't think of when getting in to a program with sports. But to excel it takes someone with an unselfish attitude and to develop that might just might carry a player a long way to success in a lot of fields in life. What might that be worth? To do it or not to do it is an individual matter but what seems to be evident to me is that one can't start a Senior Year in High School and expect everything to fall in place. Nowdays to start in Middle School would comfortably allow the player to reach her level of interest and ability, both technical and physical. Can it be done later than that? You can find examples of that everywhere. I may be way outside the baseline but think there should be other thoughts given on the matter when you look at the expense angle and stereotype the current player and friends.

Announcements