If you were a HS VB coach...

Cowboys Up

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which would you rather have, a strong offense and an average defense, or a strong defense and an average offense (serving ability and height of players being equal)?

For what it's worth, CU, from my perspective and from my experience 'watching' matches, I'd go with a strong defense and average offense. I've seen plenty of teams with touted power hitting abilities that went up in flames thanks to a big middle or good team blocking. Defense scores points in itself.

Just like the first rule of making money is not losing it, the first rule of scoring is to not give up points! :lol:

Ok, I'll take the counterpoint. There is nothing more exciting than seeing a good OH or MH slamming the ball down an opponent's throat. No one wants to see an average team dink the ball over the net. The old saying goes a great defense will beat a strong defense, but a great offense will excite the crowd more. Yea, I like to see good digs by the back row and great blocks by the front row, but people will remember the strong kills by the middle.

Can I have both?? In HS Volleyball, it seems that the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win 95% of the time. With that being said, you can look at it from both sides of the fence. An effect, or dominant offense can and will win you matches if it doesnt make mistakes and takes advantage of the wholes in the defense (and there are holes in every defense). If you can hit the ball with some pace, tip where they aint, attack everything, and be effective with your serve you will have a chance to win.

Defensively, getting to everything is good in theory, but teams are going to get some kills. That is just the nature of the game. Its an offensive game. The key here again is to limit mistakes and free ball opportunities. The more balls you can dig up to the setter, the better chance you can transition to your offensive sets and take advantage of what the other defense is doing. Nothing will frustrate a hitter more than a big block in her face and then getting dug every time. A good defensive team can also take a good offensive team out of its rhythm or force them to be predictable. The big thing about HS Volleyball is that most teams don't have the big blocker than can competely shut dow another team's Middle or OH.

Offense does definately put butts in the seat, and a big kill will get them going for sure. So will a diving dig out of nowhere.

which would you rather have, a strong offense and an average defense, or a strong defense and an average offense (serving ability and height of players being equal)?

Strong offense would be my pick. A great jump server or a consistant deep floater will produce alot of free balls coming back over the net. Follow these types of serves up with a fake block, then roll out for the forth coming free ball and chances are you'll get the easy pass, which inturn sets up great sets, which then allows for smart shots or big power. The key here is that the average offense isn't really worth blocking, and a strong offense is, thus leaving the coach who faces a strong offense with no option but to block or get hammered off the court. The option to block or not is critical, and laying back and picking up free balls does not require a great defense anyway, it actually plays into the hands of a great offense because they are already set in the hitting lanes,with a full approach at their disposal. Besides a great offense can learn to hit around the block or tool, whereas a great defense with an average offense has already done all it can do ie: digging or blocking balls up to an average offense, which inturns produces another free ball. Great offense and serving... hands down every time.

Can I have both?? In HS Volleyball, it seems that the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win 95% of the time. With that being said, you can look at it from both sides of the fence. An effect, or dominant offense can and will win you matches if it doesnt make mistakes and takes advantage of the wholes in the defense (and there are holes in every defense). If you can hit the ball with some pace, tip where they aint, attack everything, and be effective with your serve you will have a chance to win.

Defensively, getting to everything is good in theory, but teams are going to get some kills. That is just the nature of the game. Its an offensive game. The key here again is to limit mistakes and free ball opportunities. The more balls you can dig up to the setter, the better chance you can transition to your offensive sets and take advantage of what the other defense is doing. Nothing will frustrate a hitter more than a big block in her face and then getting dug every time. A good defensive team can also take a good offensive team out of its rhythm or force them to be predictable. The big thing about HS Volleyball is that most teams don't have the big blocker than can competely shut dow another team's Middle or OH.

Offense does definately put butts in the seat, and a big kill will get them going for sure. So will a diving dig out of nowhere.

No, you can't have both...you have to make a choice for this hypothetical. :thumb:

CU, what a great thread. Looks to me two coaches squaring off. What about your thoughts on the matter?

Thank you, PHargis. This question came up in a discussion with other parents on my son's travel baseball team. Our coach and some of the players and their families don't believe that practice will help with errors. Several of us other players and families feel differently. If we made fewer errors, we would have won many more games.

The first year of Page's state championship, that team was an incredibly strong defensive team. If the ball never hits the floor on your side, you win. They did and that is when I became such a believer in a strong defense.

It is very unfortunate that good passers never get their due credit. If it weren't for the pass, no offense would get off the ground.

It all starts with the pass. JMHO

Thank you, PHargis. This question came up in a discussion with other parents on my son's travel baseball team. Our coach and some of the players and their families don't believe that practice will help with errors. Several of us other players and families feel differently. If we made fewer errors, we would have won many more games.

The first year of Page's state championship, that team was an incredibly strong defensive team. If the ball never hits the floor on your side, you win. They did and that is when I became such a believer in a strong defense.

It is very unfortunate that good passers never get their due credit. If it weren't for the pass, no offense would get off the ground.

It all starts with the pass. JMHO

There may be no answer to this, though. It really depends on the talent on the team and what that talent's main strength might be. In VB, without the size and quickness, it's hard to know which would be best. In baseball, if defense and pitching talent is not good, its hard for hitting to make up for it. Sometimes a team of any kind has to be built around what you have. One thing that is for sure, a high school coach certainly has a chance over 4 years to develop what they need. You are absolutely right about passers and my observation is that there is something inside a passer that is not in all players. It is learned early and if done will never leave a player and it is an extreme desire for the team to excel and every player does not have that. I think it is the trait that all coaches look forno matter the sport. it's just called something else in some sports.

Announcements