Cheatham Co. Cubs

rolltide418

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cody Finley is hands down one of the top five-to-ten coaches in the entire midstate area. He took over a football program in 2002 that had gone a combined 7-33 the previous four years ('98-'01). During that same time span Sycamore High had grown into one of the top 3A football programs in the state & Harpeth High was without question one of the better 2A football programs in the state. In other words Cheatham Central was the LAUGHING STOCK of the county. What has Finley done since he took over at CCCHS??????? The Cubs made the 3A playoffs in his first year playing with a team that consisted primarily of sophomores and juniors. When the Cubs dropped to 2A in '03-'04 wins came in bunches. They were a combined 16-7 those two years and in that timespan the school earned the right to host their first ever playoff game on the campus of CCCHS. The new classifications were announced prior to last year and Cheatham was set to make the move from 2A to 3A. There were many that thought there was NO WAY they'd enjoy the success at the 3A level that they did in 2A (especially considering the region included the likes of Lipscomb, Page, Marshall Co., and Creek Wood). So what did happen in '05?????? Cheatham went 9-3 (two of those losses came to the state runner-up) and in most of the wins they won easily. Last year's senior class was great because they worked their butts off to be great. Talent was not the reason for Cheatham's success. There will be plenty of rebuilding to do seeing as how the team loses several key starters off both sides of the football but I would not be too quick to count the Cubs out. They are a well coached football team that will flat out hit you in the mouth.

Hey rolltide Kyle Christmas will be the likely starter for the Cubs at QB once the season begins. He lost a heated battle for the job last fall with eventual starter Kendall Bell. What did Bell do last year as the team's QB????? He accounted for 30TD's total (19 passing & 11 rushing) and led an offensive machine that scored 40+ points in six games last season.

I know that the new coach up there, Josh Puckett, took this job just because of coach Finley. I know for a fact that Haywood County offered him 2,000 more dollars a year and it was about an hour closer to where he was from, but he agreed to go to Cheatham because of Finley. That says a lot about a coach. They may be short on talent and experience this year, but they won't be short on effort. Go Cubs!!!

Well Big Country the other thread got shut down so I thought I would write back on this one. I will be moving to Ashland city some time in the next week. I have noticed that you have a good knowledge base about football and really follow the game. I respect that. Anyways I'll be up there in about a week and I can't wait to get into practice and then two a days.

Cody Finley is hands down one of the top five-to-ten coaches in the entire midstate area. He took over a football program in 2002 that had gone a combined 7-33 the previous four years ('98-'01). During that same time span Sycamore High had grown into one of the top 3A football programs in the state & Harpeth High was without question one of the better 2A football programs in the state. In other words Cheatham Central was the LAUGHING STOCK of the county. What has Finley done since he took over at CCCHS??????? The Cubs made the 3A playoffs in his first year playing with a team that consisted primarily of sophomores and juniors. When the Cubs dropped to 2A in '03-'04 wins came in bunches. They were a combined 16-7 those two years and in that timespan the school earned the right to host their first ever playoff game on the campus of CCCHS. The new classifications were announced prior to last year and Cheatham was set to make the move from 2A to 3A. There were many that thought there was NO WAY they'd enjoy the success at the 3A level that they did in 2A (especially considering the region included the likes of Lipscomb, Page, Marshall Co., and Creek Wood). So what did happen in '05?????? Cheatham went 9-3 (two of those losses came to the state runner-up) and in most of the wins they won easily. Last year's senior class was great because they worked their butts off to be great. Talent was not the reason for Cheatham's success. There will be plenty of rebuilding to do seeing as how the team loses several key starters off both sides of the football but I would not be too quick to count the Cubs out. They are a well coached football team that will flat out hit you in the mouth.

Hey rolltide Kyle Christmas will be the likely starter for the Cubs at QB once the season begins. He lost a heated battle for the job last fall with eventual starter Kendall Bell. What did Bell do last year as the team's QB????? He accounted for 30TD's total (19 passing & 11 rushing) and led an offensive machine that scored 40+ points in six games last season.

Yes, Big Country

Football was fun in Cheatham County with Coach Tharp at Sycamore, Coach Winkler at Harpeth and Coach Finley at Cheatham County--those were the good ole days :lol:

Cheatham County made a bad mistake in hiring Josh Puckett (aka Jacket2557) as their baseball/football coach. He was known at Greenfield for his big mouth and not his athletic ability. He has already started the self promoting of Josh the coach as you saw on the last thread that was closed. Look out Coach T because Josh has a computer and he will use it often, to tell you about how good Josh was.

It wont take long before the administration realizes it made a serious mistake.

Cheatham County made a bad mistake in hiring Josh Puckett (aka Jacket2557) as their baseball/football coach. He was known at Greenfield for his big mouth and not his athletic ability. He has already started the self promoting of Josh the coach as you saw on the last thread that was closed. Look out Coach T because Josh has a computer and he will use it often, to tell you about how good Josh was.

It wont take long before the administration realizes it made a serious mistake.

Well I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Puckett tonight and he seemed to be a well-rounded down to earth type of induvidual who's going to be a great addition to an already great coaching staff at Cheatham Co. Central.

As for the Cubs, two-a-days begin Monday so to the players and coaches I'd like to say get plenty of rest over this weekend because it cranks up for real on Monday.

Can't wait to see the Cubs in live action next Friday when they travel to Fairview for what's usually a hard hitting scrimmage between two solid midstate programs :thumb: