13U AAU National Championships

thanks for all the support from tennessee !!!!

thanks to the kgc family!!!!

the girls were warriors we lost taylor mills to a broken finger 4 games ago in our loss to the maryland flames

she played the 2nd half with it broken and still hit 3 threes

when we made a run thru the losers bracket all our girls stepped up and taylor rooted harde than anyone from the bench

my heart swells with pride when i watch these girls band together

i want to send out a word of thanks to the tn team pride and the memphis elite

there support for each other and us were true examples all the good stuff in aau!!

I agree, Taylor Mills was a true trooper. When our team stepped in the gym when KGC Pride played N.C. Comets, I was surprised to see her arm in a sling. Her testament to play in such an important game, really shows the commitment the organization has to succeed. Not only Taylor, but the entire group of girls never gave up, and almost pulled out the victory against the Maryland Flames. Great run KGC Pride, especially the one point victory over the Comets. I'm glad to see the state of TN represented well.

I am going to say this, and this is not to down any team but Memphis Elite did not support TN Team Pride, they actually rooted against us, when we played BGBC Jr Lady Raiders in pool play. Our girls and us parents were a little frustrated to witness this, especially since our girls were in a dog fight to win this game at the end. We later found out the two coaches were good friends and I can say we were somewhat okay but it didn't take from the fact that our team felt a little betrayed.

Congratulations to all the TN team and also thanks to the TN Wings, TN Lady Tigers, KGC Lady Pride for supporting us as well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to say this, and this is not to down any team but Memphis Elite did not support TN Team Pride, they actually rooted against us, when we played BGBC Jr Lady Raiders in pool play. Our girls and us parents were a little frustrated to witness this, especially since our girls were in a dog fight to win this game at the end. We later found out the two coaches were good friends and I can say we were somewhat okay but it didn't take from the fact that our team felt a little betrayed.

Congratulations to all the TN team and also thanks to the TN Wings, TN Lady Tigers, KGC Lady Pride for supporting us as well.

You are correct that the Memphis Elite in that game was pulling for the Lady Raiders. We had played them in 2 close games in the Murfreesboro Showtime tournament in June, and for whatever reason our coaches, players, and parents bonded and supported each other at nationals. Their head coach has Shelbyville roots, and if you had the chance to meet him he is one of the classiest people I have been associated with in AAU. Our girls, when we weren't playing, wanted to support the Raiders and KGC. I can imagine the Pride not understanding this or appreciating it, but it had nothing to do with pulling against the Pride. There was a somewhat similiar situation at states where our 13u Elite team needed to beat the Murfreesboro Lady Belles in pool play to advance to bracket play. We had defeated Team Pride, and the Pride players were at our game cheering loudly for the Belles, who in fact won the game, allowing Pride to advance to bracket play and finish 3rd. Some of our kids and parents didn't like that, but we explained the circumstances to them, that what they were pulling for was an opportunity to advance, not personally pulling against us. In this case it was just an example of pulling for friends who happened to be playing a Tennessee team. Our Elite organization has many friends in the Team Pride organization, starting at the top with Chris Brown. Hope this helps clarify the situation.....

Edited by elitebball

what a turncoat, tn teams should always cheer and help each other at nationals

Sometimes people cheer for people they like, not necessarily against others. Such was the case here. We support all of the Tn teams. Unfortunately, there are those out there who act as though they are supporting each other, but privately they want the others to lose so they will look better. Such is life....

You are correct that the Memphis Elite in that game was pulling for the Lady Raiders. We had played them in 2 close games in the Murfreesboro Showtime tournament in June, and for whatever reason our coaches, players, and parents bonded and supported each other at nationals. Their head coach has Shelbyville roots, and if you had the chance to meet him he is one of the classiest people I have been associated with in AAU. Our girls, when we weren't playing, wanted to support the Raiders and KGC. I can imagine the Pride not understanding this or appreciating it, but it had nothing to do with pulling against the Pride. There was a somewhat similiar situation at states where our 13u Elite team needed to beat the Murfreesboro Lady Belles in pool play to advance to bracket play. We had defeated Team Pride, and the Pride players were at our game cheering loudly for the Belles, who in fact won the game, allowing Pride to advance to bracket play and finish 3rd. Some of our kids and parents didn't like that, but we explained the circumstances to them, that what they were pulling for was an opportunity to advance, not personally pulling against us. In this case it was just an example of pulling for friends who happened to be playing a Tennessee team. Our Elite organization has many friends in the Team Pride organization, starting at the top with Chris Brown. Hope this helps clarify the situation.....

Elitebball,

You may certainly root for whom you choose, but it sounds from your post that your 13U group has been holding a grudge against our girls since the state tournament and I don't know, but would that be considered bad sportmanship?? I can imagine if what you posted is true about what your girls and parents felt after the state tournament, then that situation then was just as difficult as it was for us last week especially when you are trying to win a game.

We did have an opportunity to meet the Lady Raider's coach as his team was staying in the same hotel as ours. You're right he's a good guy and his girls are a great group of girls. It was funny because our girls & the Raider became friends before the pool game and I asked my daughter did she think this was wise and her response was "awww, they're cool, Mom." But, even after a tough loss, both teams continued to support each other as they made their run through the Championship bracket and us thru the Classic bracket. Their team came to a couple of our games and we went to theirs. Our girls didn't hold a grudge but understood, you can't blame someone else if you don't finish and you blow the game by too many turnovers. I'm not saying that's what your team did at the state, but this is what our girls did at the nationals and they have to give the other team credit for fighting back and winning after a huge deficit.

Good luck to you all next year and I would say this is the beginning for a great rivalry... :lol:

Sometimes people cheer for people they like, not necessarily against others. Such was the case here. We support all of the Tn teams. Unfortunately, there are those out there who act as though they are supporting each other, but privately they want the others to lose so they will look better. Such is life....

I am a Team Pride parent, and I thank you for clarifying why you all were for Carvell and his team. I know Carvell very well myself. As a matter of fact over 20 years and I agree he is a great guy. I also want to clarify that we were not only cheering for the Belles in the state touney because it would have put us in 3rd place but also they are from Rutherford County as we are. It was only right for us to support them as I would hope that you all supported the Memphis Glory in the state touney. Team Pride and parents wanted Carvell's team to do well also and we were also cheering for him as long as his opponents were not KGC, Team Pride, Lady Tigers, Memphis Elite and Tn Wings. Thanks again Eliteball, for clarifying this and lets just sqaush this and move on.

I am a Team Pride parent, and I thank you for clarifying why you all were for Carvell and his team. I know Carvell very well myself. As a matter of fact over 20 years and I agree he is a great guy. I also want to clarify that we were not only cheering for the Belles in the state touney because it would have put us in 3rd place but also they are from Rutherford County as we are. It was only right for us to support them as I would hope that you all supported the Memphis Glory in the state touney. Team Pride and parents wanted Carvell's team to do well also and we were also cheering for him as long as his opponents were not KGC, Team Pride, Lady Tigers, Memphis Elite and Tn Wings. Thanks again Eliteball, for clarifying this and lets just sqaush this and move on.

I understand. We have some great relationships with the other clubs in Tennessee, and it is very rewarding to meet the other coaches, players, and families, many of whom we run into during high school season. We don't seem to have that relationship with the Glory, too much competition with one another I guess. But ultimately, it's all about helping these girls get better and enjoy the experience of competitive basketball. Best of luck to your team in the future. We're down here in Monroe supporting the 15's from TN

Elitebball,

You may certainly root for whom you choose, but it sounds from your post that your 13U group has been holding a grudge against our girls since the state tournament and I don't know, but would that be considered bad sportmanship?? I can imagine if what you posted is true about what your girls and parents felt after the state tournament, then that situation then was just as difficult as it was for us last week especially when you are trying to win a game.

We did have an opportunity to meet the Lady Raider's coach as his team was staying in the same hotel as ours. You're right he's a good guy and his girls are a great group of girls. It was funny because our girls & the Raider became friends before the pool game and I asked my daughter did she think this was wise and her response was "awww, they're cool, Mom." But, even after a tough loss, both teams continued to support each other as they made their run through the Championship bracket and us thru the Classic bracket. Their team came to a couple of our games and we went to theirs. Our girls didn't hold a grudge but understood, you can't blame someone else if you don't finish and you blow the game by too many turnovers. I'm not saying that's what your team did at the state, but this is what our girls did at the nationals and they have to give the other team credit for fighting back and winning after a huge deficit.

Good luck to you all next year and I would say this is the beginning for a great rivalry... :lol:

No grudge was held at all. I was only illustrating how something can be taken one way and people can get offended, but when they hear the explanation they feel differently. As I said, we have some great relationships with the Pride and typically pull for you when we're not playing you. This was just a unique situation, and for whatever reason we felt very close with the Raiders. As to a rivalry, it is inevitable our organizations will want to beat one another, but we respect what you guys are doing, and especially how you are doing it.

I understand. We have some great relationships with the other clubs in Tennessee, and it is very rewarding to meet the other coaches, players, and families, many of whom we run into during high school season. We don't seem to have that relationship with the Glory, too much competition with one another I guess. But ultimately, it's all about helping these girls get better and enjoy the experience of competitive basketball. Best of luck to your team in the future. We're down here in Monroe supporting the 15's from TN

I would love to be in Monroe supporting our 15 year olds also but unfortunately, I have to go back to work. I am keeping up with it and it looks like our Tennessee teams are doing very well. Of course, I'm rooting for Team Pride to win it all but if not I would also be proud to see the Elite or the Flight win it if we can't bring it all home. Best of luck to your team in the future and we will see you next year in the state!!! :D

thanks for all the support from tennessee !!!!

thanks to the kgc family!!!!

the girls were warriors we lost taylor mills to a broken finger 4 games ago in our loss to the maryland flames

she played the 2nd half with it broken and still hit 3 threes

when we made a run thru the losers bracket all our girls stepped up and taylor rooted harde than anyone from the bench

my heart swells with pride when i watch these girls band together

i want to send out a word of thanks to the tn team pride and the memphis elite

there support for each other and us were true examples all the good stuff in aau!!

[/oquote]

Congrats ladies on hard fought battles and the heart and class to make TN proud!!!!

Taylor hope you mend fast and you ladies will get'm next year. :thumb:

Great job to the coaches and girls! :lol:

Edited by postupmom