All-time Sequatchie football team

Indian

Taking nominations for all-time SCHS teams in the established sports, and seeking input from fans, coaches from other areas too:

Sequatchieonline.net is compiling nominations for All-Time teams from Sequatchie County High School in the following sports: football, boys’ basketball, girls’ basketball, baseball and softball. Nominations should take into consideration players from 2006 graduates, back to the earliest players in each sport at the school. No current players. Please consider positions which may not always get as much credit, such as a lineman in football, and players from teams which did not have the best of seasons.

Since this thread is about football, they can go in this thread. Sometimes those outside the program and town can be the best judges of such things.

Feel free to include as many nominations from as many sports as you wish. Each nomination should include the player’s name, and if known, graduation year and position.

Nominations will be taken indefinitely, and number of players honored from each sport will depend on number of nominations received. Athletes or their familes will receive a certificate recognizing their honor.

Listing nominations here would be easier than emailing or mailing them, like some have already. Plans are to have it wrapped up around the start of the year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my list as for back as I can remember from going to the games and watching or could get info on plus the players that I went to school with. I know that they are several that I have left off that deserve to be on it that I can't think off right now!

I think I have the Graduation years correct?

Quarterback

Robbie Burgess - 1990

Jackie Fletcher - 1994

Nick Cunnungham - 1999

Jordan Cain - 2004

Curt Bureau - 2006

Running Back

Lewis Frizzell - 1992

Shawn Edgmon - 1994

Brandon Johnson - 1997

David Dishman - 1997

John Mackersie - 2004

Justin Price - 2005

Recievers

(te) Todd Hatfield - 1998

Derek Summers - 1999

(te) Gabe Wheeler - 2001

Jessie Price - 2003

Lineman

Tony Cates - 1988

© Jeff Johnson - 1990

(ot) Creed Swanger - 1990

(d) Tracy Cordell - 1990

Brent Cates - 1994

(dt) Micheal Shrader - 1996

Randy Neal - 1997

Thomas Greer - 1997

Brad Basham - 1998

(dt) Thomas Bowman - 2001

(dt) Scott Yell - 2005

(ot) Chuck French -2006

(de) Ronnie Casey - 2006

Linebacker

Shane Kilgore - 1991

Trent Young - 1991

David Childs - 1992

Kenny Harvey - 1997

Josh Cain - 1998

Joe Tennille - 2000

William Arnold - 2001

Jeb Tennile - 2002

Chase Whited - 2006

Defensive Back

Chad Griffith - 1990

Micheal Schmitt - 1991

(ss) Nate Johnson - 1999

Marc Bureau - 2001

Chad Lockhart - 2005

Punter

Nate Kirby - 1996

Edited by Sequatchie

Wasn't Sam Hudson in there somewhere for Quaterback?

Didn't Trent play Defensive End? Instead of Linebacker, I remember him batting many of balls down when it was a pass!

Running back all-time great I would say Terry Ables, I remember watching him and he was just shock and awe!!!

No Defensive back from 1993 to 1999? Come on Sequatchie don't tell me you didn't go to any games! LOL Jackie Fletcher, Brandon Johnson, Eric Finch, just to name a couple!!!!!

Recievers -just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Heath Frizzell

Chris Walters

Chad Griffith

Michael Smitt

Linemen- just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Thomas Greer - 1997

Gabe Dixson - 1993

Linebacker- just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Shawn Edgmon

Punter

Lewis Frizzell (Man he had a hang time)

Todd Hatfield

Wasn't Sam Hudson in there somewhere for Quaterback?

Didn't Trent play Defensive End? Instead of Linebacker, I remember him batting many of balls down when it was a pass!

Running back all-time great I would say Terry Ables, I remember watching him and he was just shock and awe!!!

No Defensive back from 1993 to 1999? Come on Sequatchie don't tell me you didn't go to any games! LOL Jackie Fletcher, Brandon Johnson, Eric Finch, just to name a couple!!!!!

Recievers -just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Heath Frizzell

Chris Walters

Chad Griffith

Michael Smitt

Linemen- just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Thomas Greer - 1997

Gabe Dixson - 1993

Linebacker- just to add some to your list Sequatchie

Shawn Edgmon

Punter

Lewis Frizzell (Man he had a hang time)

Todd Hatfield

Well I had Jackie listed at QB and Brandon at running back but you could probably make a All-Purpose position and put them under it as they and a few others over the years played where ever you needed them.

Some of the guys you mentioned I thought of but didn't exactly know the correct graduation year or exact position like Trent I couldn't remember really what position he played on defensive I thought it was LB or maybe a standup DE I know he played TE on offense.

Jeff Cartwright, linebacker, 1981
Another good one but I didn't know what position he played as it was befoe my time! :lol: Here is one as well before my time Terry Dishman - 1974 I think at Running back! Edited by Sequatchie

Well I had Jackie listed at QB and Brandon at running back but you could probably make a All-Purpose position and put them under it as they and a few others over the years played where ever you needed them.

Some of the guys you mentioned I thought of but didn't exactly know the correct graduation year or exact position like Trent I couldn't remember really what position he played on defensive I thought it was LB or maybe a standup DE I know he played TE on offense.

Another good one but I didn't know what position he played as it was befoe my time! :lol: Here is one as well before my time Terry Dishman - 1974 I think at Running back!

I think Trent just chose how he wanted to stand! LOL

Who is going to tell him other wise? LOL

All-Purpose position heck most years we went both ways, not by choice, but the begining of my sophamore year we only had 19 players. Some guys never come off the feild until halftime or game over! LOL

I have only seen Sequatchie County play a few times over the years, but you had a player in the late 80's who was as tough as nails. I think his last name was Broome.

Y'all came up and played Lipscomb in 1987 and beat them by several touchdowns.

This player suffered a broken jaw during the game. While his jaw was hanging limp and the Lipscomb doctor and trainers from both teams were looking at him, he kept asking when he could get back in the game.

According to the Lipscomb team doctor, he was operated on overnight and then joined his teammates for a day at Opryland on Saturday.That kid was tough.

Coach Fulkerson had a very good, hard-hitting team that year. While I don't remember names, there should be several kids from that group who should get consideration. I think they had one young man on that team who played at the Air Force Academy.

I have only seen Sequatchie County play a few times over the years, but you had a player in the late 80's who was as tough as nails. I think his last name was Broome.

This player suffered a broken jaw during the game. While his jaw was hanging limp and the Lipscomb doctor and trainers from both teams were looking at him, he kept asking when he could get back in the game.

According to the Lipscomb team doctor, he was operated on overnight and then joined his teammates for a day at Opryland on Saturday.That kid was tough.

Coach Fulkerson had a very good, hard-hitting team that year. While I don't remember names, there should be several kids from that group who should get consideration. I think they had one young man on that team who played at the Air Force Academy.

Alan Broom, yea my dad was the athletic trainer and he kept asking if he could tape it up so he could go back in! He was tuff as nails!

I believe your talking about Tony Cates, that went on to play for Air Force, the brother of Brent Cates...

Great story! :o

Brent Cates and Jeff Cartwright have got to be two of the best. I think Brent is back helping the Indians this year.

Josh Cain, I would think, would have to be one of the best linebackers out of Sequatchie. Played against him in 1996 in the third round of the playoffs. He could lay the wood. I remember after one play, I had to leave the game because me and him hit, and after the play, my eyes were crossed, and they wouldn't uncross. I had to leave the game for a play because I couldn't see. No joke, true story. Great Linebacker. Might add that #56 was also a good linebacker that very same year.

Alan Broom, yea my dad was the athletic trainer and he kept asking if he could tape it up so he could go back in! He was tuff as nails!

I believe your talking about Tony Cates, that went on to play for Air Force, the brother of Brent Cates...

Terry Ables was the receiver with the broken jaw in 87, his junior year. 6'2" and 190 pounds, caused a lot of mismatches with his height, size and speed. Also played some running back every now and then and was a corner on defense despite his size. That was a pretty big receiver and corner for those days. Alan Broom was a running back, his last year was 87-88 school year. He ranked in the top 3 tri-state scorers that season, despite having nine touchdowns called back on penalties. Ables played small college ball in Missouri, Broom played at Sewanee and later coached in South Pittsburg. Tony Cates played at Air Force, went to Vanderbilt his season year after a diabetic condition developed and it was clear he couldn't fly planes. His team at Air Force whipped Mississippi State in a bowl, that was a wild night, and his team at Vandy came as close as any Commodore team until last year in the last 20 to beating UT. Tony started at defensive end both places, undersized at 230 pounds but quick and tough. Brent played DT at UTC at 250, a starter despite being a bit undersized even at the 1-AA level.