All-time Sequatchie football team

Indian

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched sequatchie over the years especially when they were in the play-offs due to the fact that they usually came this direction or we went that way to play. Some of the players I remember are

QB & REC (tibbs) from the year they lost to Kingston (great game)

tall WR/DE (young)

DT/C when lost to Smith Co. 1988

QB, both LB's, DT in 1993 I think

RB 1995

LB/RB 1998 (I think)

Program was impressive from mid 80's til now. I loved it when they ran the bone

QB & REC (tibbs) from the year they lost to Kingston (great game)

tall WR/DE (young) = Trent Young

DT/C when lost to Smith Co. 1988

QB, both LB's, DT in 1993 I think Jackie Fletcher/QB Shawn Edgman/LB Michael Rogers/LB and Brent Cates/DT

RB 1995 Brandon Johnson

LB/RB 1998 Josh Cain

I think that's correct I may be wrong......

Edited by SCHS#23

Terry Ables was the receiver with the broken jaw in 87, his junior year. 6'2" and 190 pounds, caused a lot of mismatches with his height, size and speed. Also played some running back every now and then and was a corner on defense despite his size. That was a pretty big receiver and corner for those days. Alan Broom was a running back, his last year was 87-88 school year. He ranked in the top 3 tri-state scorers that season, despite having nine touchdowns called back on penalties. Ables played small college ball in Missouri, Broom played at Sewanee and later coached in South Pittsburg. Tony Cates played at Air Force, went to Vanderbilt his season year after a diabetic condition developed and it was clear he couldn't fly planes. His team at Air Force whipped Mississippi State in a bowl, that was a wild night, and his team at Vandy came as close as any Commodore team until last year in the last 20 to beating UT. Tony started at defensive end both places, undersized at 230 pounds but quick and tough. Brent played DT at UTC at 250, a starter despite being a bit undersized even at the 1-AA level.

Thanks for helping me on the names. Y'all ran a wishbone from a 2 split end formation. It was a tough offense to defend. You had the triple option threat with hard nosed backs and Ables had the talent to catch a deep pass at any point. I loved watching that offense.

The next season, Lipscomb came to Dunlap. If I remember right, you had an assistant coach parachute into the game with the game ball. He landed on the 50, took off his chute and then went to the sidelines and put on the headphones. The Indians were fired up at that point. Lipscomb hit 2 big plays early and then hung on with a goalline stand late in the game to win a very close game. Dunlap is a beautiful place and the football team's are always going to play tough.

Edited by tackle