Whitwell = 21 Sequatchie Co. = 6

SeqValleyFan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Indians are going to have to find some way to run the football hopefully Walden will be back in another week or so. He was out of his boot and walking/running before the game and looked alright.

Plus someone else has got to step up and be a second receiver to take some pressure off of Christy.

The defensive line actually played pretty good from the second quarter on considering its basicly 3 Sophmores and a Freshmen in there most of the time.

It wasn't as far apart as the score makes it sound, but those are the most important numbers of course. Run totals for both teams were second most important numbers. Awful first quarter for Seq, yardage was something like 100 to 10. Evenly played after that, Seq got it down inside the 15 once with four plays to get 10 yards but turned the ball over. Whitwell punched it in with 20 seconds left in the game when they really didn't have to run another play, but it was Seq's job to stop them no matter how much time was left. On a dry field, they fumbled seven times and lost three so I would have taken the knee, not a sportsmanship issue just to get out with the win.

Actually your wrong about the score being more wide open than it really was. If anything it should have been worse with seven fumbles, losing three. Some costly penalties also caused the Tigers some momentum issues that could have easily turned this game into a rout. Hats off to Burgess for hanging tough out there. Sequatchie is rebuilding but should have a bright future with all of those young kids they have playing.

Whitwell had 3 turnovers, Sequatchie had 4. One team had 8 penalties, the other 7, both for around 50 yards. Sequatchie's had gains of 10 yards three times in the first, and two were called back on their own penalties. Another time they could have been helped by a late hit penalty on Whitwell, I believe that would have put them in 4 down territory but I think there was a hold on Seq the same play and they offset. The teams exchanged fumbles or interceptions within two or three plays twice, those equaled out. Two of the fumbles they had and still recovered were close to the goalline and they scored just after that both times, anothter they had and recovered they had a 30 yard run on the next play. The other one was on their last drive and they ran nearly all the clock down and scored so that didn't hurt them either. Whitwell had a couple of 5 yard penalties when they were already in third and long and probably wouldn't have made the yardage anyway since passes were incomplete. After another penalty, they got it back on the fake punt. I didn't see penalties hurting the Tigers. And none of that means I thought the refs beat Seq or Whitwell was lucky, before anybody jumps on that, it still came down to the running game by one team and lack of by the other. I'm just saying it wasn't a tad away from a runaway.

Edited by Indian