How does Tn football compare to Ga Football?

tcpioneer3

Georgia high school football is better than Tennessee high school because of the coaching and talent. As much as we like Tennessee High School football it lags behind some of the other states in the south.

Case in point. Maryville was one of the better football teams in Tennessee last year. As much as I love the Rebels I saw a team play last year that would have beaten Maryville by 50-60 points. That team was Byrnes High School from South Carolina. Byrnes was by far the greatest high school team I ever seen. No other team I ever seen played at a level that Byrnes played at. I watched them beat MBA 62-14. Byrnes let up or it could have been 80-90 to 0. This isn't a slap at MBA either. MBA had a good team. Every team in Tennessee would have been drilled by Byrnes.

Now, I saw Byrnes at the Vanderbilt passing camp, with their 75 skill players. They have won the last 5 South Carolina state championships in a row in their class. I don't think it would matter what state their opponent was from. They we great!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgia has more people than Tennessee, so of course they have more skill players...

Having said that, I don't see much difference in the athletes when we play the Tennessee Georgia Allstar Game here in the 'nooga. That is because the players are drawn from a roughly equal population. More kids = more great athletes...thus the 3 states that produce the most great athletes in Football are the 3 most populous...Texas, California, and Florida.

This is sort of an apples and oranges comparison. You have to remember that the Atlanta metropolitan statistical area has about the same number of people as the entire state of Tennessee. I once read in a high school sports mag in Georgia where a major college coach said that if he could get everybody he wanted to recruit in the Atlanta area every single year he would give up the rest of the country. That sounds bold; but, that's what the guy said.

One thing is very different in Georgia. Private schools do not dominate the football playoffs. In their five classes, only four schools even got as far as the second round last year. Only two of those got to the third round and both lost. Fourth and fifth rounds were clear of private schools. Georgia also applies a multiplier. I think theirs is 1.4. However, they didn't even really dominate before that.

One thing is very different in Georgia. Private schools do not dominate the football playoffs. In their five classes, only four schools even got as far as the second round last year. Only two of those got to the third round and both lost. Fourth and fifth rounds were clear of private schools. Georgia also applies a multiplier. I think theirs is 1.4. However, they didn't even really dominate before that.

Interesting.

By reading this thread as a whole and then this post, it is just more proof that the biggest difference between publics and privates, and even the top notch public schools amongst each other, in Tennessee is the resources able to be devoted to it. If more public schools could/would devote more resources to the programs, the overall programs would improve.

Man, how right you are. At the school I just came from in GA, the HC made 99K last year, and organized all the practices, oversaw the coaches and their individual groups, but did very little "coaching". We finished 8-2 in the reg season, and was 4th in our region. We made the playoffs for the 7th straight year.

I think it depends on the HC himself and how involved they want to be...my HC coaches QBs and has alot to do with the Offense plus he oversees everyone else. As for the size of the schools...we have 1300 students...played up a division and have won almost 30 games the past 3 years...but its ran like a small college...

Now, I saw Byrnes at the Vanderbilt passing camp, with their 75 skill players. They have won the last 5 South Carolina state championships in a row in their class. I don't think it would matter what state their opponent was from. They we great!

They were awesome.

Bottom line is Tennessee doesn't have the population like Georgia,Florida,Louisianna and other southern states.

My nephew coached with Scott Meadows at William Blount. 2 years ago they went to a camp at Camden County ,GA. Camden County won the 5A championship and was ranked in the top 10. They ran the wingT. My nephew said that coach for Camden county was making over $100,000 a year.